E46 Fanatics Forum banner

anyone else got a N42B20 318Ci

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gavin877 
#1 ·
just bought me a new 318ci auto N42b20

and on warm starts it starts to hunt and actually cut out on me , is it as simple as cleaning the MAF

also if anyone know about OBD-II readers and is there a sticky that shows how to use it?

newbie here thanks for any help

#2 ·
when I was going thru a similiar phase with my 318i N42B20 I also looked at the MAF. First I was told it must be the alternator, which I refurbished, then I was told it must be MAF which I clean several times but finally it was the crankshaft sensor. It started stalling everyday just after engine reached operating temperature (105 deg C) and everytime I took in for a scan they found nothing. So I bought a basic OBD scanner. Plugged it in and drove around until it stalled then quickly read the OBD, it stated Crankshaft Sensor fault. Also noticed if I drove home first them read the OBD, it had nothing to report. I suspect when the sensor goes faulty and if you give it some time to cool off then drive around, the cars thinks it must be just a glitch and that all is fine now so it erases the fault. BTW i thought I could fix it so I opened the MAF, boy was I surprised at the electronics in there, no wonder it costs that much to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.