E46 Fanatics Forum banner

RRT Racing : An Active (Autowerke) Approach To 425+ Horsepower In A 328Ci

44K views 244 replies 59 participants last post by  TrippinBimmer 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a long read on hitting 425+ horsepower at the crank and over 275 rear wheel torque in a 328Ci.

For years, my friends have referred to my 3 as "The Turtle". Given the car's color and measly 200 horsepower, I can't say I blamed them. And so began the quest for power. I wanted to do something relatively unique and up to par with the rest of the modifications..

Initially I purchased an ESS kit from Toby out on the west coast. He was an awesome guy and the kit was in great condition, but I wasn't really ready for fully dive in and ended up selling the kit to another local. I ended up doing the same with a VF-E kit I purchased from another member on here. This time though it was because I realized that I wanted to include an intercooler and didn't want to tap the factory oil from the motor.. so, the kit went up on ebay and was shipped off to a guy building an E39 wagon (the updates have been pretty cool).

And thus began the conversations with Viral at Active who has been absolutely awesome to deal with. Our conversations go back almost two years and he's always been extremely responsive, supportive, encouraging. He helped me work with their team to secure a sponsorship, notified me the day the kit was pieced together, had tracking information for me the day it left the shop, and checked in to make sure it arrived without any headaches. At the day's end, we settled upon their Stage 2 kit with an Active intercooler, Rotrex blower (pushing 11-12 psi), an oil cooler for the blower, and all the other needed goodies.

As Active shipped off their kit, I researched and studied up on what additional pieces I'd need to ensure this went smoothly. I fortunately had the support of some key members of this forum including MalibuMafiaV and Anthony at Bimmerbrakes. One of the big questions that I had was how to run headers on the car given supersprint were impossible to find, ebay offered questionable quality, and his shop only had 330 headers. Anthony suggested (and RRT agreed) that we take his high quality racing headers, modify the exhaust side of the flange, and run them. After all, the 330 headers lined up fine on the motor side.. and we had to do custom exhaust fabrication anyhow.

Unboxing of Active Kit

I then needed gauges and some type of installation piece. So I got in touch with Prosport who was able to sponsor their halo series AFR and boost gauges and ATI provided the gauge pod (mickey mouse style)

At this point, we had all the major components... but I wanted to make this even better. So I reached out to AEM electronics who was able to provide their methanol injection kit along with their LED display. I still need to add a hobbs switch to the setup though to ensure every failsafe is in place.

So we now had the following :
--Active Autowerke Stage 2 kit
--Bimmerbrakes Headers
--AEM Electronics Methanol kit
--ProSport Gauges (AFR and Boost)
--ATI Gauge Pod

But it had to all go in. Naturally, I took it to the masters at RRT Racing in Dulles, VA : http://www.rrtracing.com/

Given RRT's racing heritage, expertise, and their familiarity with my vehicle (they built the custom exhaust and have done all mechanical work for years), we began discussing the project and ways to improve upon what's been done in the past. In total, the work alone took roughly two months (I told them I was in no rush to get the car back and they have countless fires they must put out for customers on tight racing deadlines) but the work is SO well worth it.

Stuart who is on this forum stopped by halfway through the build and snapped some these:

And then, after months in the shop, the call finally came in : "So ummm, your car is running and stuff" Mike said jokingly. After a number of test drives, checking for leaks, and ensuring everything was good to go, they took it to the dyno. Without meth, and with misfires in bank one (cylinders 1, 2, and 3), the car put up over 300 at the wheels on pump gas. The AFR levels were 12 across the board, 14 across the board, and 13 across the board with little fluctuation. I'm not really sure what caused the 12, 13, 14 variance but the good thing is that the AFRs were rather linear. RRT is diagnosing the misfires and then we'll re-dyno and tune with meth in place... they are anticipating roughly 340-350 wheel putting the car around 400-420 at the crank. The coil packs were changed out so not really sure what is causing the misfire.. could be that the spark plugs need to be a degree cooler.. also may swap out the fuel pump for the m3 variant.

I can not thank the team at RRT Racing enough for all their incredible work and support. Between the customization to the intercooler piping (they had to fabricate some of it from scratch as it wouldn't fit properly), the work they did with the AEM Meth kit (including a custom trunk installation that I'll post pictures of shortly), and all their patience... they are INCREDIBLE and I can't recommend a shop more!

This past weekend, I was in Carlisle, PA debuting the vehicle at Carlisle Performance & Style. The BMW was brought up by Meguiar's (one of my more recent sponsors) and took first place and I got to meet tons of new individuals.. a couple of which were E46Fanatics members.

Meguiars also really hooked me up with some quality products. Really :bow: to their team

Upon returning home, I had a few quick pictures taken for the forum

STATUS Racing also sponsored some new 4 point harnesses (for display purposes.. I don't use them on the road for safety)

Saving the best for last

Out of car video (day I picked it up)
http://youtu.be/IphpN_JU6pI

In car
http://youtu.be/v3yo5d3zTTY

http://youtu.be/BOh0e02Nh8U

For kicks, here is my buddy's AA Stage 2.5 E46 M3... It makes my car feel so wimpy LMAO
http://youtu.be/NEsJP7hWbyo

A videographer is looking to do a small video on the vehicle so will keep this updated with additional media :)

Many many many thanks to :
- RRT Racing
- Active Autowerke
- Bimmerbrakes
- Prosport
- AEM Electronics

For those who will be attending Bimmerfest East in July, make sure to check out RRT Racing's vendor booth. The vehicle will be on display with their team available to answer any questions you may have about the work we did or other projects you're considering for your own ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHMmQRQv6_o&list=UUxC4_WV2Wd2uW4eEIRFzg2A

See less See more
#139 ·
RRT Racing : An Active (Autowerke) Approach To 400 Horsepower In A 328Ci

Not on the dyno yet. SES has disappeared and not come back though despite 300+ miles driven.

Car is at RRT for new tires, Vorshlag camber plates, lowering, and then hopefully dyno tune.

Will be at Bimmerfest and RRT will be on hand to answer any questions.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#150 ·
:bow:

So excited to see how this compares. Will be neat to put this video side by side with the results post tune, meth, o2 sensors, new radiator, etc

#157 ·
:thumbup:
Should have gone to Frank, he could have tuned it right there and you would make a lot more power.

Glad you like it though. We will have to run one time. LSD should be on your modlist too.
I may end up doing that. I've been meaning to get the car tuned prior to MPact but am not sure if that will happen. Will be tied up all weekend and I'm playing softball 3 nights a week. Can you PM me the rough pricing of Frank's work?
:thumbsup: Congrats on everything you've earned & purchased lately for the car, it's very nicely set up. My only gripe with it at this point is the tan carpet in the interior, it officially looks 'out of place' with the race seats and whatnot.

Green e46s 4 lyfe
Completely agree with you on the tan interior. I've been meaning to pull it out (along with the headliner) and do everything in black. In fact, I was thinking of dying my carpet black and redoing the headilner in black suede. Just haven't gotten around to it and it's a bit larger of a project now with the race seats/roll cage.. pulling everything out is a PITA :(
Awesome glad to see the results can't wait for the next phase of upgrades to be installed on this beast. Congrats :woot:
Yeah now with the new radiator setup from Zionsville, the car is definitely getting the cooling it needs. I think the only next steps would be to pull out the pistons/rings and clean up the block. Get it ready for another 100k miles :)
Viral,
does AA have a way to data log his daily driving and then use that info to modify his current tune? If he continues going WOT in his current state the engine's going to blow.
Interesting idea. Definitely do need to get it tuned and, in the interim, need to ensure I baby it.
How are you liking it so far man?. Looking forward to hearing/reading your experiences with the water/meth tuned in right.
It's definitely fast... quick off the line (though i don't really slam it out of the box given the transmission and clutch is all oem) but it's great fun on the highway. Once it's tuned into perfect spec, we'll dyno it again, see what the final numbers come out like, and then we can really enjoy the new power,

#152 ·
Should have gone to Frank, he could have tuned it right there and you would make a lot more power.

Glad you like it though. We will have to run one time. LSD should be on your modlist too.

#158 ·
Yes, we have a way of data logging but the most accurate way is by dyno testing the vehicle. Our Software Engineering Department has been communicating with Chase on his tuning with the vehicle and I can assure you that his vehicle is not going to blow. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

#163 ·
There is only handful of people who have problems, but we do our best to help and diagnose the issue and get it resolved.

Probably because most people are incompetent when it comes to working on vehicles, let alone installing a supercharger...
I have had AA stage 1 installed for 2 years and installed stage 2 over last winter with no problems related to the supercharger setup. I also have 170K miles.
+1 and right on brotha hopefully I can see another post from you at the 200k marker with your E46 :thumbup:

#162 ·
Probably because most people are incompetent when it comes to working on vehicles, let alone installing a supercharger...
I have had AA stage 1 installed for 2 years and installed stage 2 over last winter with no problems related to the supercharger setup. I also have 170K miles.

#164 ·
This build is an inspiration for all non-m owners looking to boost with high HP in consideration (Myself included especially since we have the same engine. BUT I'm still scared of the 'Rising cylinder head' issues, especially if the threads in the block get ripped out. Is this something that happens way to often? Or am I just being paranoid.

#165 ·
I deal with these cars day in and day out and the issue your bringing up about the "Rising Cylinder Head" is a rare case and only a handful cars have that issue. With the correct maintenance these motors are builtproof and you can enter the 200,000+ mileage marker. :thumbup:

#172 ·
We try and resolve all issues with any of products and do not leave our customers without any support. :read:

I'm a noob with boost. But doesn't this happen when somebody tries to turn up the psi with stock compression? Would lowering the compression reduce the risk for this to happen?
If you get too greedy and turn the boost up way to much you risk the possibility of blowing your motor with any vehicle. Yes, you can build the motor with low compression and forged pistons and run higher boost for a safer set up. :hi:

Also. Is there a way to mount an oil cooler on the M52TU?
Are you referring to an additional oil cooler other than factory or F/I System Oil Cooler?

What I don't want is to put ARP Head bolts in and rip the block threads out. It there a way to make that risk less viable?
If your putting ARP Headbolts and your looking to reduce the risk factor I would recommend building the motor with low compression forged piston and then crank up the boost. :thumbup:

What boost do you have now? 10-11PSI?

Ok. i have found it AA stage 2.5 running 12 PSI, intercoolee, Rotrex blower and oil cooler, Bimmerbrakes headers, AEM stage 2 meth injection kit, and ProSport gauges. Installed and custom fabrication by RRT.

350WHP - the expected power.
And you still want more power :4ngie:

#169 ·
Head lift can be caused by many things. Stretching head bolts or pulling bolts out of block and detonation are some of the main causes.

#178 ·
Your pushing that Rotrex to the Limit :thumbsup:

I have a buddy that runs 20psi on a mild low comp hg with arp studs on an otherwise stock m50. This is turbo setup though. Runs 15psi daily and is safely able to run a little more than 20psi.
The M50 motor is an Iron Block so it can handle more boost with than the M54 aluminum block.

Last I heard Chase was still driving around with his car very lean at WOT up top of the RPM range. If you have the ability to do road tuning like you mentioned earlier in this thread and can update on the fly, why wouldn't the tune be made more safe up top of the RPM range until he could get back for a proper dyno tune session :hmm:?
He hasn't contact me with an update recently but he was suppose to contact Frank at TUNING TECH FS to schedule an appointment to get tuned. You can do datalogging on the road but the speeds you would have to travel would violate some of the local speed limits and would not want our customer to risk getting tickets. That is why we recommend get the car to a shop with a dyno to have the tune calibrated properly. :thumbsup:

I'm referring to an engine oil cooler. Does the M52TU Come with a factory oil cooler? Does it even need one? (Or a bigger one?) I would like the car to participate in some track events in the future with FI. Is this viable?

Turner motorsport sells a BMW Motorsport Oil filter housing.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1033-e46-325i330i-bmw-motorsport-racing-oil-filter-housing.aspx

HOWEVER This cannot be used with the stock engine computer because it deletes the oil temp sensor used for VANOS control. Is there a way to move the sensor somewhere else?
Yes, the M52TU does come with a factory oil cooler, if you are keeping the stock then the factory one is sufficient. If you are tracking the vehicle I would recommend upgrading the oil cooler system especially if your going the F/I route with track sessions.

It is absolutely possible to use s54 engine oil cooling system. I use it on my car.
I have seen this setup before works well. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.