E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 244 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 AM   #61
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Have a look at the fourth thread in my signature

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #62
tangerine-dream

My Ride: 330i Wagon
Assistance w/ ECU Wiring on 2.5L to 3.0L Engine Swap

First Reply: Well I have embarked on this endeavor w/o regrets. Currently my car is at Edwards AFB Auto Hobby Shop and I will continue the installation starting Thursday-Saturday. Basically I wanted to ask shm21284 about the ECU approach to changing the flat pins to round pins (existing) or vise-versa. If you could text me you mobile or send me an email that would be super! Marc: 415.505.0181 or cram775@gmail.com

Thanks!!
tangerine-dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #63
BMW_Racing

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Hey shm21284...thanks for the great write up on your swap. I have almost completed the same swap except we are taking an S54b25 and dropping it into a 2000 BMW 323i. We are also doing an auto to manual swap at the same time. We took the S54b25 using the MS43 ecu.

Old motor out...

New motor in...

We have the motor all installed and are 99% complete with wiring swap. I had a question.

You mentioned the single wire that needs to be connected for the injector power.

Quote:
The circled item is the injector power wire. The DME switches the injector signal on the ground side. Essentially, a single power wire needs run to port 87 on the fuel injector relay. On the 323/328, there is an extra port 87 open on the relay, so you only need to retrieve the correct wire from a donor car, de-pin it, and re-pin it into the relay's connector, X6327. This then runs to a white 8-pin connector X6053.

Starting with the injector relay, K6327, and connector X6327:
On my 323i Port 87 is already occupied with a wire.

I populated Pin 7 on the 8-pin connector.

The Pin that comes out of Pin5 on the Port 87 runs through the fuse panel...

Does Pin 7 need to connect to Pin 5 on the Port 87 even though Pin 5 is being used for something else?

Last edited by BMW_Racing; 03-21-2017 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fix image links.
BMW_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #64
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Racing View Post
Hey shm21284...thanks for the great write up on your swap. I have almost completed the same swap except we are taking an S54b25 and dropping it into a 2000 BMW 323i. We are also doing an auto to manual swap at the same time. We took the S54b25 using the MS43 ecu.

Does Pin 7 need to connect to Pin 5 on the Port 87 even though Pin 5 is being used for something else?
this thread might be helpful for you as both as ms42 to mss54

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1120893
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #65
BMW_Racing

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
this thread might be helpful for you as both as ms42 to mss54

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1120893
thanks for the great link. That is the swap we did as a warm-up.

We took an S54 out of an M3-vert and put it into the e46 Touring. This swap was pretty straight forward as 'most' of the electrical parts played nicely with each other. Our problem is converting a non-drive-by-wire car into drive by wire. We have the added advantage of using the newer, MS43 ecu which accommodates the DBW pins, of which their are 6.

S54 into e46 Touring:

Donor Motor out-

Donor Motor back in e46 Touring-

Thanks again for the suggested link. I know somebody out there knows the answer.
BMW_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote