E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New toys arrived today

2K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Saintly 
#1 ·
Both my new toys arrived today :woot:

I havn't unwrapped them all yet but I did the important ones to see what sort of condition they are in...

For a second hand kit at almost half price you couldn't ask for better condtion. Everything appear to be in top notch condition and AA even included a lot of new parts.

Now all I need is time to install it :ben:

See less See more
#7 ·
Active Autowerke sold it to me second hand, customer upgrade apparently.

It was advertised in the forced induction section a few weeks back and was to good to refuse.

#10 ·
very nice upgrade indeed !!! enjoy !!!

#18 · (Edited)
^ Oh my...oh my indeed... Saintly! Nice figures man! I only just saw your signature now.

You managed just shy of 380rwkw with race fuel, no nitrous and 9psi? That's impressive! Isn't your AA kit running only 1psi above standard AA kit boost? How much do you yield with standard grade fuel?

How is the M3's traction with that sort of power when you let all that power loose? Does it get it all down good? I've only ever been in S15 that is just shy of 300rwkw and a few Supras with around your figures (generally more); and damn do they slip badly - and I mean really badly. Even with a updated 6spd manual, aftermarket clutch/flywheel, good rubber; S15s with anything around 300rwkw don't put the power down good enough.

Quick question Saintly:

I've never dealt with any S/C kits, but generally how does one go about adjusting boost? Is it pretty much same principle with T/C kits involving electronic boost controllers or manual adjustment of internal/external wastegates?

#19 ·

Quick question Saintly:

I've never dealt with any S/C kits, but generally how does one go about adjusting boost? Is it pretty much same principle with T/C kits involving electronic boost controllers or manual adjustment of internal/external wastegates?
The boost is controlled by the speed of the blower, you need to change the pulley size to increase the boost.

BobZ

#20 ·
^ Nope they dont work with boost controllers or wastegates.
The boost is changed by changing the Pulley size. Since your using rotrex there is a local dealer here, Bullet Performance in Yatla. You go for a smaller pulley to up the boost and change to a smaller belt to keep things tight.

** Damm i was too late to post lol

#21 ·
Ahhh, I see. I'm going to take a leap of faith here and safely assume that the 'pulley size' has a very fine limit of adjustment - and you really can't push it too the upper-end extreme like you can on T/C setups (until the engine head/block breaks of course)?

#23 ·
Also pulley changes are in 5mm increments, and changing just 1 pulley will give a few more psi, a 10mm difference would be enough to increase boost by 50% or get close to double the orginal pulley had.
For the Rotrex pulleys range from 110mm - 85mm (i think).

But you gotta find out what your crank pulley size is, and your top RPM, and what the RPM limit is for the rotrex. Then find out if the pulley size you want will spin the rotrex over its rpm limit. Some guys have done testing and found that a Rotrex will fail at over 20% over spin for a constant duration. Other wise they are pretty happy to over spin for the last couple hundred rpm since it only lasts half a sec.

I made an excel calculator when i had my last car that showed all the changes. Ill find it later this arvo and post it up.

#24 ·
Hey I saw that you bought this a few weeks back, you got it for a steal considering it was sold from the actual company. Can you tell me how much the transport costs was? They are starting to announce SC kits for $2995 usd more and more and the only hitch I have is the cost of transport.

Thanks a heap in advance

#25 ·
I would think transport would be around $400-600.
Then you also have import tax on the item because its over $1000, then a clearing fee, inspection fee and possibly air port tax.

Which sucks because the customs tax is excessivly high, it will be another $400-800 for something like a s/c kit.

You should get the seller to say the value is under $1000 then no customs taxes.

#28 · (Edited)
Freight from Miami was 420USD for a 31kg box, and import duties and gst came to around $650AU. I thought about asking them to mark the value down on the invoice, but in the end decided no to because I thought the insurance cover would be reduced also.

#30 ·
Customs is never as high as people thinks, my DPE wheels had a value of a lot more than this and duties worked out cheap as. Just didnt know if the weight of the kit or complexities in shipping would make transport expensive.

BTW NEVER mark down something to save duty, the costs associated if it is scratched or lost in regards to insurance never work out in your favour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.