E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Exhaust options

5K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  ASSAIL 
#1 ·
Whats the best way to free up the exhaust system on a 323i? I'm not interested in importing full systems due to the cost issue so wanted something local.

My last car (SR20DET E30) I put on an XForce muffler and had no problems at all with it, anyone fitted one to an E46? They have an interesting Varex option which for a street car I want to take to the track days looks interesting:

http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/29

Before you all freak out I'm talking about the oval twin tip version, not the cannon muffler.

Any other easy wins, like removing the resonators etc?

#16 ·
Well, it kinda does. Cutting out the cats at the headers (which is where they are found on the E46) for either straight, cat-less headers OR high-flowing cat replacements is almost equivalent to having new headers installed. Despite they are not the same material (ultimately affecting how much sound has change), it will still substantially change the note of the exhaust

Not to mention resonator deletes, which will change the note of the exhaust and make it slightly louder. The same can be said if you delete the muffler closest to the tips, which I am going to do after a little experiment. =]

#17 ·
cats are halfway down the car on mine - 328i. and id assume theyd be in the same place for 325 and 323 (which is what the OP has)

never said delete the resonators, i said change them to high flow items.

and as i said, mine has no rear muffler. its got straight pipes with hamann tips in place of it, and its still way under the legal noise limit.

#18 ·
ASSAIL said:
never said delete the resonators, i said change them to high flow items.

and as i said, mine has no rear muffler. its got straight pipes with hamann tips in place of it, and its still way under the legal noise limit.
cheapest option would be to just cut out ur cat and resonators and put highflow items in there. and cut off ur rear muffler and have a y- pipe into 2 straight tips from where the exhaust entered the rear muffler.
cut out resonators = resonator delete, irregardless of whether you replace them with straight pipes OR high flow cats.

#20 ·
read my post again. i said cut them out and REPLACE them with high flow items. If you put high flow items in place of the stock ones its hardly a delete!

cheapest option would be to just cut out ur cat and resonators and put highflow items in there. and cut off ur rear muffler and have a y- pipe into 2 straight tips from where the exhaust entered the rear muffler.

#23 · (Edited)
ill grab a vid of it during the week

in the meantime, heres a vid of the supra exhaust. its about 97dB @ idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6OApkgKO3Q

******** width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6OApkgKO3Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V6OApkgKO3Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#31 · (Edited)
I guess I will dig up the EPA test that was done a month ago. will scan it onto here for you.

I was shocked also! don't worry about that! but go and ask a EPA tester as well. I go off facts... Not something I just "guess" if I did guess work I would not be in business very long :lmao:

#32 · (Edited)
I was wrong about the dB reading, car tested at 85dB 4,425RPM, maximum is 90 dB so there is not really much give there at all.

on a BMW six it is pretty much a fail on most modded exhausts. So without a muffler altogether it would fail the EPA test.

#57 · (Edited)
u do realise that 90dB has TWICE the intensity of sound as 85dB? and a 3dB increase or decrease in sound level equates to a doubling or halving of the sound level, so there is infact a fair bit of give there and running without a rear muffler will infact pass epa!

im still open to that wager...............

btw i havent actually had mine tested but ive had plenty of epa's on my other car so i know what passes and what doesnt; hence why id be willing to put my money where my mouth is and get my car tested.
How bout the loser pays for the noise test? Its only $20 and will put this to rest once and for all.

i had to DB my exhaust on my 350Z after getting a canary

tomei headers, crawford high flow cats, fujitsubo titanium y-pipe, fujitsubo muffler = 87db @ 3500rpm
fujitsubo legalis-r are fairly quiet exhausts. my supra passed epa with the stockish engine and a fujitsubo exhaust too. decent flow too.

#37 ·
Stephen............ do you have any footage of a 6 cyl with the resinator (not muffler) delete......... as have been curious on this mod for a little while now....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.