E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Wes_R x GTR (82 pics)

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TnT817 
#1 ·
Hey E46Fanatics,

It's been awhile since my last write up here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=777366&highlight= but I have been a little busy.

I had spoken to this owner over the span of a year and we had finally set up a date to 2 stage polish this Solid Red GT-R some time in the beginning of August. The car was a garage queen and the swirling was not so bad... actually one of the better condition GT-Rs I had worked on but we wanted to get a 9, 9.5 out of 10 correction so we agreed on a 2 stage polish.

Moving on to the write up here is the first walk around the car.

Already noticed a buffer trail that needed to be corrected

As usual starting with the rims, I cleaned the face and behind with a microfiber wash mitt

Used my brush to clean the calipers

A stiff brush to clean the tire wall

And my EZ Brush to clean the inner barrel

The wheel wells were cleaned also with APC and a curved handle brush

The exhaust was not to bad and was sort of an easy clean up

Moving on to the engine, it was not at all in bad shape but just a little dusty and could use a quick clean up and dressing to make it look new again

Dusty

All clean and dressed up

Artsy Fartsy shot

Stop lying

I pulled out another detail brush and took care of the tight areas like the vents etc

Finally getting onto the wash stage the car was foamed down

While the car was foaming I realized I had forgotten to clean the gas tank

I 2 Bucket Method washed the car with my natural sea sponge

And rinsed off my sponge in the water only bucket after every panel or half a panel

Then dried the car with a plush microfiber towel

Brought the car in to clay

And it was not in bad shape at all

After the claying I measured the paint to see what levels I was working with

I found a section that was repainted and learned that the car had come with a huge scratch from the factory and this section was repainted under warranty which I guess also explains the buffer trail I first noticed

repaint

See less See more
#2 ·
I masked all the rubber trim

And now could begin polishing. The combo I opted for was Menzerna SIP with a Orange Lake Country Pad on a Makita rotary. Here are the befores and afters of a few panels

Before

After

Before

After

A quick shot of yours truly polishing

Before

After

Before

After

I alcohol wiped down the car and begin to prepare for the 2nd stage of polishing. The paint was already shining very well but I wanted to push the gloss a little higher so I jeweled the paint with Menzerna Po85RD a white Lake Country pad and my Flex3401.

Here is a the gloss I was achieving with this combination

I gave the paint a 2nd and final alcohol wipe down to clean off the polishing oils then unmasked the car

After unmasking and cleaning off the polishing oils I inspected the paint with my 3M Sun Gun which omits the same spectrum light as the sun.

Perfect

I had to take another shot of the gloss, and this was with no wax on, only polishing

Wax of the day was Swissvax Concorso

Applied

While the wax was curing I attended to other areas like putting Poor Boys Wheel Sealant on the rims and exhaust

Here are a couple after pics of the exhaust

And I cleaned the windows with my Glass Master Pro.

Unfortunately it had rained but I got a small window to quickly take a few after shots which I don't think turned out that bad and actually it was kind of cool to still see the paint looking very glossy on a cloudy day

The gloss was looking very nice in this pic

#3 ·
Some nice reflections

I liked the reflection in this shot

And to complete the walk around

Finally my last 2 favorite pics

Not wanting to push my luck with the rain I quickly put away the GT-R in the garage.

Hope you enjoyed the write up and seeing the different steps of the detail.

Best regards!
Wes

#10 ·
Thanks! I will keep that private for the customers sake.

I love pics of freshly detailed cars :drool:

Incredible work
Me too :thumbup:

LMAO DKM I found you on google maps working on a car
LA Prince, can you please edit your posts to not mention so close to my location. I have 2 kids and despite putting up pics of my house would prefer to keep my whereabouts private. If your familiar with the area we can keep that between us. Lol you don't need to post it 3x.

awesome. come do my car.
Lol come to Toronto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.