E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help please!

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  sjacoby112 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just driving home and I started hearing a weird noise, pulled into my driveway and popped the hood. This is what I am hearing, any help would be much appreciated! Sounds like it's coming from right under the oil filter housing. Also, no SES lights or anything came up, car felt fine driving the last little bit home too. Thanks a lot guys.

Video below is my actual car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcRfXnK5Q0

#9 ·
i wanna order parts tomorrow if this is whats wrong, anyone wanna verify what im getting?? im going to throw in the idler pulley as well becuase i assume that needs replacing.

#10 ·
My car sounded like that about 6 months back and it turned out to be the water pump. This I knew because I had already replaced all the pulley's and belts and the noise was still there. The bearing on the pump was bad and it sounded nearly identical.

#19 ·
Do you have a history of cooling system work on your car? If not it will be a good time to go ahead and replace other necessary items. Water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank... stuff like that. Mango's link in his sig has all the necessary parts and the associated numbers.

#20 ·
no history. car was previously owned by an older man that was a dentist. so he never had to replace anything on it. but after I do all the pulleys and belts when they show up (hopefully by wednesday) then ill look into ordering the rest of the cooling system. haha I just got wheels/tires/coilovers/tails/LEDs/and more in the past couple weeks. maybe she was upset about all the cosmetics an wanted some maintenance!

#24 ·
I just got done replacing pulleys, belts, tensioners, and mounting hardware. car purrs like a happy kitten now. I think the sound originated from my idler pulley going because it ended up failing just before I changed everything. but all the other pulleys were done too. happy I did it. super easy to do yourself too. hope this helps anyone interested. thanks to everyone that chimed in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.