E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW E36 Forum

General BMW E36 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E36 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Ignition Part Question

Hello, this is my first time in the E36 forum so please be gentle. I recently picked up a '98 328i and I'm trying to find an ignition part. But after looking around, I'm having trouble finding a part no.

I'm looking for the rod that goes between the Ignition Key (Cylinder) and the Switch. I've found what appears to be 2 versions of the part, but when looking at the compatibility chart, 1 says it doesn't fit, and the other doesn't have a compatibility chart to verity it.

When I look at RealOEM, it doesn't list that part separately, I think its part of the housing assembly.

Anybody know a part no. or which version is correct?

Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Manolito

My Ride: '04 325iT Manual
I am trying to remember, but as I recall, the part that engages the switch is just a little tab that is part of the cylinder.

I fear that you will have to either make the part, get a junk yard cylinder and remove that part, or buy a new cylinder. I have had to replace the worn out cylinders on both my '97s. It is nearly impossible to remove a 20 year-old cylinder from its housing, so you end up buying a new housing and having to cut slots in the security bolt heads with a dremel tool so you can remove the housing from the steering column. Not a bad job if you have a dremel tool and a short flat blade screwdriver bit. The dealer-only parts are expensive.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Rif Raf

Thanks Manolito,

Just for reference this is the part, but as I said in the OP, I can't tell if this is the same one I need, since I found 2 versions. Just for general info, this sits between the tumbler and the electric switch. I believe this also unlocks the steering wheel.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
Manolito

My Ride: '04 325iT Manual
I am stuck. I don't recall ever seeing a part that looked like that in either of mine, and I had mine completely apart. I don't see anything like that in RealOEM in any year e36, but I just watched a video of a guy taking apart the lock from a '93 and he had a part that looks just like your picture that he had pulled out of his lock broken.
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Rif Raf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I am stuck. I don't recall ever seeing a part that looked like that in either of mine, and I had mine completely apart. I don't see anything like that in RealOEM in any year e36, but I just watched a video of a guy taking apart the lock from a '93 and he had a part that looks just like your picture that he had pulled out of his lock broken.
I think its part of the housing assembly (no separate part no.), I noticed it doesn't show up in RealOEM either. I did replace one on my son's '94, 530, that exact part. As I said previously, I think its the same one, but in my search I found another one that is shaped differently, so I just wanted to be sure I ordered the right one.

I think I'll just order it ($10), I guess I'm only losing a little time if it's the wrong one.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Rif Raf

Another couple of questions regarding the ignition tumble, switch and housing.

And as a heads up, to date I've been unable to get the tumbler out to replace the cam in the housing. So, I'm currently using the screw driver method to operate the switch.

1. I have a new issue. When I shut the car off, it doesn't turn off. This happened once the other day. But after turning it back and forth a few times it shut off. But this morning I walked out to my car and the Heater fan was running and few of the dash lights were on...not all thought.

Symptoms, starts fine. Turn it off, and no luck, engine remained on, heater fan, and gas gauge still on, inspection light on. Radio off, and the water temp gauge went off, general dash back lights off.

I had to pop the intake at the MAF and suffocate it to kill the motor, then disconnect the battery.

Any thoughts? ....I know replace the switch, but unfortunately not a financial option today.

2. As I mentioned above, I haven't been able to get the tumbler out to replace the cam. I've looked at a bunch of various ways to get it out, but everything eludes to essentially destroying the tumbler, the Housing, etc.

But I came up with the brain fart of using a Dremel, and cutting a small slot in the housing just above the tumbler lock mechanism and then pushing the lock down through that slot.

Can anybody tell me the best clock position to be directly above that lock pin?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rif Raf; 01-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Rif Raf

A follow-up to my post #6,

The engine not shutting off persisted all day yesterday. Had to suffocate it and disconnect the battery last night when I got home, but this morning when I hooked the battery up to start it everything worked again. Nothing was running in the off position, I started it and turned it off and it worked fine. Restarted it drove to work and again it shut off as it should.

As I mentioned this had happened once before, and I think it was wet and nasty out that day, similar to yesterday. Could this be water/moisture getting into something and causing the issue? Where would I begin to look for water getting into something and causing this?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
Rif Raf

A little further update!

Day was dry, and the car started and turned off as normal. Got home, it started to rain and dammit!, the fan and random lights came on while just sitting in the driveway. So I'm pretty well convinced this is a moisture problem.

Looks like I'm going to spend the weekend under the dash..................Crap!!!

And at 6'-4" tall that's a lousy place to get to.

Last edited by Rif Raf; 01-10-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Rif Raf

Well after tearing into this thing, I've learned a few things. I'm figuring this wasn't moisture, not completely convinced but after spreading the wires at the ignition switch apart and kind of shoving them back into the dash, the problem went away. I'm guessing something was touching a constant hot wire, but purely a guess.

Also after tearing into the dash more, I learned a few things;

1. The shaft between the tumbler and the switch is not broken. I got the guts to rotate the cam with pliers and it worked. The hesitation of doing this was I couldn't and still haven't got the tumbler out. If I rotated the cam, it could have locked the steering and made it so I couldn't drive it until I got the tumbler out and fixed it.

2. Once I turned it, the key worked fine, kind of. It operated correctly without spinning 360 degrees. But I couldn't get it back to position "0" to get the key out.

3. This led to more research. What I found was that the shift lock cable wasn't working, it didn't push on whatever is in the ignition housing to let the key return to "0". After unscrewing the cable from the housing I was able to stick an Allan Wrench in the hole and release the key.

So, at this point I've ordered a new cable and ignition switch. I think this will completely fix the problem, fingers crossed.
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #10
Rif Raf

Well after numerous try's and some frustration I got the tumbler out. I finally received the interlock cable, cleaned and lubed all the parts, and wallah! it all seams to function correctly.

But after all of that, I tested it and no starter. All the lights work, I replaced/fixed a bunch of stuff while waiting on the cable to arrive, new ignition switch, misc dash lights, driver seat back gear, tail light not working, etc. So I was relatively pissed when there was no starter when I tested the switch, but I had a thought this morning and was wondering, I have the ASC button unplugged to get to the interlock cable at the gearshift. Would this prevent the starter from engaging and starting the car?