E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > E46 Engine Swaps

E46 Engine Swaps
Replacing your motor? From direct replacements to more exoctic engines, if it's going under the hood of an E46 3 Series this is the forum to discuss it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
cmj

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
CMJ: 330i + VVTI 1JZ Street/Drift Project

Hi all.. I come from the Nissan world and finally decided to move into a 'newer' chassis. I will be putting together a VVTI 1JZ 323i over the next couple months.

Here's some pictures of the current ride that is in the process of getting parted out.

And here's a shot of the new car.. It's got all the typical e46 problems but I picked it up for 1k and it's very much rust free and can be brought back into good shape fairly easily.

My plans are to use a ZF transmission with Collins adapter and flywheel. Southbend Stage 3 Daily clutch. I will be keeping the DME in place for the time being to help run the cluster but will be moving over to the EcuMasters Black box in the next year or so. Tomei Arms M8280 turbo and FID 750cc injectors. I'm looking for a reliable 400hp with all ancillaries and A/C!.

The Nissan is parting out quickly so I should be able to move the BMW over into it's spot in the garage within a month or two. After that things should move pretty quickly and I'll put up a build thread.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
cmj

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Update time.

I decided that I didn't want to put any effort into the 323i as I would have to do the manual transmission conversion, it was a bit rough and didn't have the interior or features that I was after. I found a black/black 330i for a good deal and have started the work on that chassis.

I spent a lot of time figuring out and simplifying the DME cubby. I decided on using an EcuMasters EMU Black engine controller as it will allow me to run drive-by-wire throttle body on the Toyota motor, as well as use the factory E46 pedal. Lots of other cool features to play with as well.

I'm using the Collins Adapter kit to mate the BMW transmission to the Toyota motor. This kit went together very well and i'm pumped with the quality. I'm using an E36 M3 pressure plate with a 330i disk.

I installed a Walbro 450LPH pump in the stock hanger.

Fortune Auto has come out with a new street version coilover brand called 'PRIME SUSPENSION' I will be using their 'Drift Variant' coilovers with 10K/10K spring rates.

While the motor was out I upgraded to DriftMotion's billet wheel CT15B turbo. The factory turbo is a ceramic exhaust wheel and scatters with too much heat/pressure. My goal is to run this turbo up to 18-20psi and see what the motor makes. Looking for ~350hp out of it.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
cwaltz666

My Ride: 2001 330i
subscribed
cwaltz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
BeamerLove

My Ride: E46 323Ci Mpackage
Update ur pics they don't work from ur post on the 24th

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
BeamerLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
being a 323 you're actually in great shape to just turbocharge the M52TU (the M52TUb25 engine is still 2.5 liters even though the name is 323).

A Little known jewel the M5x engines are... plus if you eventually decide to step in front of the ECU/DME by controlling the timing and fuel independently, you will be able to retain all of the functions of the car while still getting the boost you crave.

Caveat, though. You're more than likely going to be stuck with bottom mounted turbocharging if you go stock engine route, so it would probably be less showy than the vertical arrangement of the 1JZ...

Kinda of silly to replace a 2.5 liter engine with variable valve timing, with a 2.5 liter engine with variable valve timing... Not withstanding completely hackng up the stock communication systems between the engine and the rest of the systems in the car.

No hates, as I like seeing custom stuff. I just don't get the toyota engine swap idea. Swapping like with like.
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote