E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 649 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #401
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
Funny I see this pic, I was just telling a co-worker with an 08 that I wish I had just cherry picked the engine and tranny and did everything at once. May have took me more than a month, but it'd be worth it.
yeah. the one above is a completely built high horsepower super beast (I think 800+) with what looks like a racing tranny. i forget. he has a few high end builds and documents every step. But a nice reference pic to see behind the engine.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #402
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
yeah. the one above is a completely built high horsepower super beast (I think 800+) with what looks like a racing tranny. i forget. he has a few high end builds and documents every step. But a nice reference pic to see behind the engine.
Only if I had the money and time to transplant that into my E46. Talk about sleeper!

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:14 AM   #403
AboveDaRim

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by veli510 View Post
it's most likely leaking at the firewall. there is two hoses for the heater core. you need to take out the cabin filter and the compartment where the cabin filter sits in. you should change those hoses soon or it will bust and car will overheat and you will or may damage the head gasket.

you don't want that to happen.
Thanks for your response & @jmo62.

That would make sense from where its dripping. I'll need to look into how to get the filter & housing out. If you have any tutorials then please do link me. Otherwise I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers guys!
AboveDaRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #404
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveDaRim View Post
Thanks for your response & @jmo62.

That would make sense from where its dripping. I'll need to look into how to get the filter & housing out. If you have any tutorials then please do link me. Otherwise I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers guys!
The cabin filter is held in place with 4(?) T-30 torx screws. You'll have to move the wiring harness that's attached to it, there's just plastic clips that hold it.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #405
cruisetime54

My Ride: 2001 325ci
All the oil was contained to the lower part of the engine bay. The top half vfrom pump down was dry, after pulling inspection cover on the bottom all the high pressure hoses were a mess and mechaniC said good luck ,but the oil level was proper after driving 600 mi at 80 to 85 mph. Will figure bit out but little things first . CEL. APPRECIATE THE GOOD WRITEUPS. THANKS GUYS
cruisetime54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #406
Broncosteven

My Ride: 2002 325I E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Your ignorance is astounding - Seriously bad advice - take this advice and you will be spending money needlessly and making matters worse.

Here's why:

The most common point of failure on the PS reservoir is the thin o ring on the cap. It fails and fluid leaks from the cap. The most common reason for failure of the ring is contaminants on the mating surface from removal and replacement by the owner.

TIP: The better techs wipe both mating surfaces with a clean rag before putting the cap back on.

The second most common reason for leaking at the reservoir is overfilling.

The filter that we refer to is not really a filter in the sense that it has deteriorating components - it is a wide metal mesh that can be washed out with a little cleaner once the reservoir is removed.

An o -ring should NOT be changed as preventative maintenance - neither should you be removing the PS reservoir to periodically rinse out the metal strainer - why? you are more likely to damage the power steering hose connections from frequent removal and replacement and then you will have leaks less visible that may lead to substantial costly damage such as steering rack failure

So in summary - frequent changing of this part is more likely to cause damage than replacing the o-ring when required.
Hi All,

Over the last 5 months I have replaced the Radiator then the Expansion Tank cracked on me a couple months later. I had about 2 months of no leaks and found 2 spots of fluid on the floor today. Stopped to check my Oil (which was OK) and I found this:

I am not yet having any cooling issues, I wouldn't have known if I didn't have to park the car on the street for another project.

I had to drive it tonight and still have not received any coolant lights or even seen more coolant leaking. It sure looks like it was the cap. I had drove it on the highway pretty fast for me last Thursday I have no idea when the leak started, I am the last out and 1st in so no one ever gets to see it unless I am paranoid and check.

I figured that I would check the coolant level in the AM and wipe down the cap. I don't know if I didn't bleed the system right and overfilled or if after 15 years and 140,000 miles the cap o-ring gave out. Don't remember hearing any popping sounds.

Again no over heating or noticeable steam. If I did overfill it did I hurt the cooling system or just toast the cap?

Thanks for all the great posts and information in this thread. I have referenced it many times before.

Steve

Edit: This morning I checked the coolant level, it was showing full but I noticed dried coolant around the inside of the top of the expansion tank opening and around the cap. I cleaned it up and put the cap back on. Guess I will have my guy pressure test it again for a busted head gasket and either way will get a new cap. Still no sign of fresh leaks I drove it a lot yesterday.

Last edited by Broncosteven; 05-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #407
rednex

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Hunting a leak

Great thread I have looked/read through as much of the thread as I can. and need some help find a leak. 2002 325Ci that has been leaking pretty good into the under-pan for about 3 months. I de-greased and cleaned up the underside last weekend, and checked last night and it looks like the oil is leaking/dripping from this (photo below). It kind of looks like it might be coming down from the oil-filter housing, but was looking for thoughts and options before I started ripping things apart.. Thanks again for the help. Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002-oil-leak.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	655726  
rednex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #408
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
At this age/mileage, EVERYTHING is busted and torn rotted and twisted. EVERYTHING. Redo all the common stuff that leaks on these cars.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #409
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex View Post
Great thread I have looked/read through as much of the thread as I can. and need some help find a leak. 2002 325Ci that has been leaking pretty good into the under-pan for about 3 months. I de-greased and cleaned up the underside last weekend, and checked last night and it looks like the oil is leaking/dripping from this (photo below). It kind of looks like it might be coming down from the oil-filter housing, but was looking for thoughts and options before I started ripping things apart.. Thanks again for the help. Dan

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #410
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
^ Great Video. Thanks for sharing.