E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #81
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
+1 silver oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Sam, just rent a convertible mustang and let er rip!!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
S2000

Sent from my Pixel using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #82
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert

o wait...

https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/san...863?s=O9Rinhjr

Last edited by fayraree; 05-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #83
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
I live in Long Island City (Queens) and work in midtown. I've yet to try Peter Luger in Brooklyn but don't really have a preferred steakhouse in NYC (open to all opinions--might need to start a thread on that if it doesn't exist already).

Edit: just read your steak flavor breakdown. Dude you should be in the restaurant industry. Awesome advice, thank you. I will definitely start opting for more wines using your guidance.
Well i'm sure you are familiar with NYC prices but from what i've experience, Quality Meats is your best bang for your buck steakhouse. I've been to TSK, STK, Striphouse, Bowery Meat Company, Keens, Hunt and Fish, and several others. Come to think of it Striphouse is pretty awesome, and their black truffle blue cheese stuffed dirty martinis (Stoli Elit) are fvcking insanely delicious.

If you want a red meat heaven meal, Quality Meats.

Get the steak tartare. Its incredible however, they offer to prepare it for you with some hot sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, etc. Thats great and all, but they make an incredible table side steak sauce. The last time I ordered the steak tartare I told them to use a little bit of the housemade steak sauce instead of the ketchup/tabasco. They looked at me like i had 10 heads, and then I looked at them like they had 10 heads because no one ever requested it to be done that way. Worth the look, do it.

Get the ribeye med rare, its insane, with a side of the corn creme brulee.

Pair it up with Mount Veeder or or Sequoia Grove Cabernet. The menu currently says both are a 2013 which is a great year.

You're up to $200+ nice knowing ya

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #84
fayraree
flock killer

^ I think I might have to invite you and chalk it up to a business development lunch...
Old 05-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #85
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
I'm not paying $107/day to drive a car I already own.

SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #86
fayraree
flock killer

...but would it be worth driving it around Napa Valley and avoid the shipping costs? or the extra time it would take to drive your car down there?

...but I see your point, they have an F-type, Vettes, etc. in there

Last edited by fayraree; 05-04-2017 at 02:51 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #87
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Well i'm sure you are familiar with NYC prices but from what i've experience, Quality Meats is your best bang for your buck steakhouse. I've been to TSK, STK, Striphouse, Bowery Meat Company, Keens, Hunt and Fish, and several others. Come to think of it Striphouse is pretty awesome, and their black truffle blue cheese stuffed dirty martinis (Stoli Elit) are fvcking insanely delicious.

Get the steak tartare. Its incredible however, they offer to prepare it for you with some hot sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, etc. Thats great and all, but they make an incredible table side steak sauce. The last time I ordered the steak tartare I told them to use a little bit of the housemade steak sauce instead of the ketchup/tabasco. They looked at me like i had 10 heads, and then I looked at them like they had 10 heads because no one ever requested it to be done that way. Worth the look, do it.

Pair it up with Mount Veeder or or Sequoia Grove Cabernet. The menu currently says both are a 2013 which is a great year.

I still think that currently, Del Friscos double eagle on 6th ave is the best steak in NYC, but Quality Meats is pretty good as well. Having said that, the bang for the buck isn't there, as Del Friscos is $$$$$.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-04-2017 at 03:00 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #88
JJR4884

Quote:
I still think that currently, Del Friscos double eagle on 6th ave is the best steak in NYC, but Quality Meats is pretty good as well. Having said that, the bang for the buck isn't there, as Del Friscos is $$$$$.
I forgot to add the disclaimer that once you show up, every steakhouse in NYC is going to get shunned based off of your take
Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #89
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
I forgot to add the disclaimer that once you show up, every steakhouse in NYC is going to get shunned based off of your take
lol, I actually agree with your assessment, that Quality Meats is a good deal, as most of their steaks are in the 40s and 50s (the last time I was there.) Other restaurants are starting to creep into 60s/70s and IMHO, yes, I shun them, especially those that broil their steaks, or even worse, serve them on a roaring hot plate. I actually like Quality Meats for some of their other things, including the excellent corn brulee you mentioned.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #90
JJR4884

Quote:
lol, I actually agree with your assessment, that Quality Meats is a good deal, as most of their steaks are in the 40s and 50s (the last time I was there.) Other restaurants are starting to creep into 60s/70s and IMHO, yes, I shun them, especially those that broil their steaks, or even worse, serve them on a roaring hot plate. I actually like Quality Meats for some of their other things, including the excellent corn brulee you mentioned.
Take note on the steak tartare and having them mix some of the housemade steak sauce. Really is delicious.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #91
wrighterjw10

My Ride: something fun...soon
Quote:
del friscos is the best steak i've ever had. i've had plenty of them.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #92
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
del friscos is the best steak i've ever had. i've had plenty of them.
You are in PA... have you been to Butcher and Singer by any chance?? Top 5 steak for me
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #93
fayraree
flock killer

Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #94
wrighterjw10

My Ride: something fun...soon
Quote:
You are in PA... have you been to Butcher and Singer by any chance?? Top 5 steak for me
yep. butcher and singer is great, but I have yet to find a steak better than the aged ribeye at del friscos.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #95
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:

You guys and your steaks. Good insight though.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #96
JJR4884

Quote:
yep. butcher and singer is great, but I have yet to find a steak better than the aged ribeye at del friscos.
One of the few I haven't been to in NYC.... i'll have to put it on my list. I tend to shy away from steakhouse chains, but come to think of it some of the best steaks i've had were from BLT (DC) and STK.

Capital Grill in Providence is legit too.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #97
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Why was Sonoma so much better?
As kuksul mentioned, I'm from these parts. (West Sonoma county in the redwoods). Though I actually commute up from SF now, my work facility is still in Sebastopol (with that part you did some FEA on!).

Geographically we have a lot more going on, both the nice warm wine country (healdsburg) and the coastal environment. Just a lot more going on in general, where as napa is a one-trick pony with lots of the same. We have big rivers, redwoods, endless rolling vineyards, the full spectrum of amazing food (without as much of a tourist tax). We're quite the breadbasket here so everything's local, etc etc. Our brewery scene is also among the better ones around.

But! I've never been to either as a tourist so I'm sure the experience is more manicured in napa. Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy your time out this way! Hope it's a good trip.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #98
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
^ you like to use parenthesis ehh?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #99
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Quote:

I just checked out the menus at del frisco's in NYC and now (for you JJR in case you didn't know) chestnut hill, MA. Prices were accordingly adjusted like $10 upcharge for NYC food experience, same exact menu item, although the menus do differ a bit, ha.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app