Turbo project for a budget - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #121
Pole position
OEM ///Member

My Ride: E46 330ci
Should use racewear studs with the M54.

Also, is your valve cover vented to atmosphere? Under boost, if not, the car will burn oil because the crankcase won't accept oil from the turbo drain.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #122
avantgarde

My Ride: 2001/2005 325xi A/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Should use racewear studs with the M54.

Also, is your valve cover vented to atmosphere? Under boost, if not, the car will burn oil because the crankcase won't accept oil from the turbo drain.

I was just about to question that...

Dramatic seal failure on the turbo, blowing out of the dipstick, leaking valve cover gasket, all kind of sounds like too much crankcase pressure.
avantgarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #123
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Its is vented o atmosphere, always been , thats the first thing I did when I got my hands on the car is to delete ccv completely. I ran a hose out and I can see oil vapour pressure coming out.

Last edited by cwarel; 05-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #124
avantgarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Its is vented o atmosphere, always been , thats the first thing I did when I got my hands on the car is to delete ccv completely. I ran a hose out and I can see oil vapour pressure coming out.
do you have a catch can to pull some vacuum in the crankcase? Because of the low tension piston ring set, combustion blowby is stupid on these engines without crankcase vacuum. Even factory, when the CCV goes bad, that's how you get so much oil burn.

I bought two air-tight catchcans off Alibaba for like 70 bucks shipped. throw some stainless steel wool in the "filter" pouch and you're golden. T-off the side between the catch can and the valve cover with another universal PCV valve in reverse (Line pressure pushes it open and vacuum draws it closed), and you can put another, vented catch can somewhere else.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #125
avantgarde

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Baff...08.4.87.Qptfc5

Cheaper than the 60 bucks they want per can, for the same SAME THING on eBay.

EDIT:

My bad, wrong link... Updated.

Last edited by avantgarde; 05-18-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #126
cwarel

Bought that catch can.
So here is my plan about this
Im getting aluminum valve cover and im gonna delete ccv out of it.
Then I will weld 1 or 2 6-an bungs and run them to the Oil catch can , then I will use one of my vacuum/boost ports on intake manifold and run it to the other side of the catch can with a 1 way valve or I will steal vacuum pump from my dads volvo )))) He wont know it was even there )))

Last edited by cwarel; 05-18-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #127
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
Kind-off ontopic with turboing, how beneficial would it be to run some sort of aux vacuum pump instead of relying on intake manifold vacuum?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM   #128
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer View Post
Kind-off ontopic with turboing, how beneficial would it be to run some sort of aux vacuum pump instead of relying on intake manifold vacuum?
Thats exactly why im stealing my dads vacuum pump for , and then I will power it up using the plug from SAP , I will reprogram so that when the engine is running it will turn on SAP wiring on which will be connected to a vacuum pump and also the brakes maybe.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #129
cwarel

Anybody can throw me a link for 800 cc+ injectors that either plug and play or at least that they will work with ms43 ecu ( ohms )
Like will these work ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/332200531550 its says it fit , but ya know cant trust ebay all the time))

Last edited by cwarel; 05-19-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #130
avantgarde

any reason why the Siemens Deka shorties won't work? I'm not sure how the stock injectors look since I haven't removed them, and I don't know the actual depth of the hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Deka...FSVFKH&vxp=mtr

That is an auction for 8
Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #131
cwarel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171113083056 Im gonna use these , I have contacted them and they said that these injectors will fit with only ecu tune ( which we can do)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #132
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
What turbo did you have? because mine is a .63 AR exhaust side 6265, made 582whp/538wtq on 22psi with a single Quantum 340lph pump, 93 pump gas with Lucas octane booster and 14-15 Advance. Car suffered catastrophic failure after 58k miles being turbocharged on stock M54B30. oil pump shaft snapped on my ZHP. But have new engine in now so I might go a different route.

Also, if you vent to atmosphere you do not have enough crankcase pressure extracted, these engine have loose rings. you want to do something like I did.

In this setup it always has crankcase evac either under boost or under vaccum.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #133
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer View Post
Problem is under boost in which the intake manifold has no vacuum. you can do what I did in my diagram or instead of going to the intake plenum you can go to the exhaust with a venturi valve at an angle. the pump would just complicate things more.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #134
avantgarde

Damn that's clever! The turbo is going to be pulling a vacuum behind the filter at full song in many cases. and since it's coming through the catch can it's also being filtered of oil... I'm completely blown away.

Looking at your site, I've seen this numerous times YEARS ago. Wow, nice! you're the reason I ended up using a Comp Turbo Oilless turbo when I turbocharged my 3.5RL. I had never heard of them until I stumbled across your site!

Now that I'm done fan-girling,

What is the failure mode of the oil pump shaft? It seems it's either the shaft breaking or the nut backing off, Why does the shaft shear/break/snap? Is it picking up a piece of debris and getting locked up?

Last edited by avantgarde; 05-26-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #135
Pole position
OEM ///Member

My Ride: E46 330ci
I ran that vacuum setup for a while, but while on e85 the valves just got clogged up with white gunk. Same poop in catch can from e85.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #136
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 398.5whp. 498.8ftlb
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde View Post
Damn that's clever! The turbo is going to be pulling a vacuum behind the filter at full song in many cases. and since it's coming through the catch can it's also being filtered of oil... I'm completely blown away.

Looking at your site, I've seen this numerous times YEARS ago. Wow, nice! you're the reason I ended up using a Comp Turbo Oilless turbo when I turbocharged my 3.5RL. I had never heard of them until I stumbled across your site!

Now that I'm done fan-girling,

What is the failure mode of the oil pump shaft? It seems it's either the shaft breaking or the nut backing off, Why does the shaft shear/break/snap? Is it picking up a piece of debris and getting locked up?

The accepted reason for oil pump shaft failure/nut coming loose is the harmonics of the M54B30 engine at extended high RPM.

NIVO - What did you rev your engine to and use of your vehicle?

M54B30, ESS TS2, Schrick Cams, S54 Cam Chain Tensioner, ATI Super Damper 6.8", 3.5" Throttle Body, XForce Headers, Custom Twin Exhaust, Quaife LSD 2.93:1, UUC Twin Plate and Lightened Flywheel, GSR Four-bolt Oil Pump, M56 Engine cover with Built-in CCV.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...619&highlight=
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #137
avantgarde

I guess, *shrugs*

Last edited by avantgarde; 05-26-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #138
cwarel

So some updates
Current car problems ( snapped clutch or tranny ) I can put tranny in gear without stepping on the clutch ( car wont move in any gear) That happened when I tried to launch the car on 18 psi of boost stock engine )) I guess made so much torque and I had too much grip because it was 104F outside but anyways if its the clutch problem I will get new clutch, if tranny i have extra trans
Also MAF failed on me which made the car run super rich and i was on the highway so i had to drive it through in the traffic and i blew my exhaust manifold because its made of stainless steel that is not even meant for turbo manifold( metal was too thin which made it crack from extensive heat and cooling down)

Update on overall build
1) Still building my engine
2)Stripped headstuds while torquing down the head
3) Bought timesert kit for 150 ( and aluminum plate to make my own guilde to drill)
4)Decided to go top mount , because bottom mount is a big headache ( piping routing ,ac delete which might be recuired but no matter what im keepin it ) Im still gonna use cast iron manifold , im just gonna flip it and make extension for my turbo and extra mounts for turbo)
5) My head got 5 angle valve job and i ported it also because im going m50 intake manifold .
6) OP situation will be fixed with extra tensioner ( currently waiting on parts for it to finish it )
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #139
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
So some updates
Current car problems ( snapped clutch or tranny ) I can put tranny in gear without stepping on the clutch ( car wont move in any gear) That happened when I tried to launch the car on 18 psi of boost stock engine )) I guess made so much torque and I had too much grip because it was 104F outside but anyways if its the clutch problem I will get new clutch, if tranny i have extra trans
Also MAF failed on me which made the car run super rich and i was on the highway so i had to drive it through in the traffic and i blew my exhaust manifold because its made of stainless steel that is not even meant for turbo manifold( metal was too thin which made it crack from extensive heat and cooling down)

Update on overall build
1) Still building my engine
2)Stripped headstuds while torquing down the head
3) Bought timesert kit for 150 ( and aluminum plate to make my own guilde to drill)
4)Decided to go top mount , because bottom mount is a big headache ( piping routing ,ac delete which might be recuired but no matter what im keepin it ) Im still gonna use cast iron manifold , im just gonna flip it and make extension for my turbo and extra mounts for turbo)
5) My head got 5 angle valve job and i ported it also because im going m50 intake manifold .
6) OP situation will be fixed with extra tensioner ( currently waiting on parts for it to finish it )
Cwarel have you seen the post I made on one of your threads? I want to make a bench for the MS43 but the video on YouTube is all over the place and hard to understand. When you have free time, can you please create a DIY on the forums so I can have a bench. Thank you.
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #140
cwarel

Im waiting for pieces to come , so i can construct new harness.