BMW Says Manual Gearboxes Dead by 2024 - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #61
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
not surprised at those ****s going away with manuals. The S4 already don't come in manuals and i don't even know if Benz even makes a single model with a manual. The Volvo Polestars are also auto and don't believe have any plans for a manual. Alfa scratched the manual on the Giulia and the list goes on.

And importing a car is hard as **** unless it's like 15+ yrs old.
NYRhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #62
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
That's one dyno run. Will that transmission hold up for tens of thousands of miles?

Approving a component for serial production is more than just beating on it a few times with a hammer.
If you were familiar with the car and others like it built by a highly respected member/members of this forum you would know that is just not just "one dyno run". There are several built on this forum in a small shop/business that are pushing 800-1000 and run like champs. Hell, they drive (not always trailered) all over the country for certain racing events. If they can do it, BMW could.

But at any rate, the post was in jest due to BMW's claims of max hp on manuals.

Last edited by cd330; 05-18-2017 at 08:36 PM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #63
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatard View Post
Yeah. It could totally handle 100K+ miles putting down over 1,000 horsepower. The Veyron engineers were just idiots.

Yeah that's what I said.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #64
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
If you were familiar with the car and others like it built by a highly respected member/members of this forum you would know that is just not just "one dyno run". There are several built on this forum in a small shop/business that are pushing 800-1000 and run like champs. Hell, they drive (not always trailered) all over the country for certain racing events. If they can do it, BMW could.

Yeah but you have to consider the quantity of transmissions. Having your goal as 6 sigma compliance to the spec makes for a really overbuilt transmission on average but the worst one still has to meet the requirement.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #65
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The transmission did. The hydraulics were the failure point. And the S54s only weak point is the rod bearings.
Hydraulics are part of the transmission system right? Rod bearings are part of the engine right?

Come on dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
not surprised at those ****s going away with manuals. The S4 already don't come in manuals and i don't even know if Benz even makes a single model with a manual. The Volvo Polestars are also auto and don't believe have any plans for a manual. Alfa scratched the manual on the Giulia and the list goes on.

And importing a car is hard as **** unless it's like 15+ yrs old.
None of this has anything to do with the ability of a manual to handle the power output of the engine but instead has everything to do with the fact that the vast majority of Americans don't want a manual.

Quote:

I hear you but if you think that if everyone boosted their engines to quintuple the power output the transmissions would have the same failure rate, that's delusional. You'd see a lot more widespread failures for sure. Glad those people are getting luck with their units but they are on borrowed time.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #66
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
None of this has anything to do with the ability of a manual to handle the power output of the engine but instead has everything to do with the fact that the vast majority of Americans don't want a manual
i have never seen data that shows what % of the market wants manuals and how it's changed overtime, but my understanding is that it's expensive to have manuals certified (probably not using the right word here) and be able to sell them so companies are just foregoing those costs.
NYRhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #67
trizzuth

My Ride: 234k, 16yr old B3AST
What is the reason for so many short lived clutches on the E39 M5 then? that was a serious problem area, was it the flywheel weight/design? what?

Because that car is only 400HP and from what I understand, it shredded clutches for a living on a daily basis.
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

Last edited by trizzuth; 05-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #68
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
i have never seen data that shows what % of the market wants manuals and how it's changed overtime, but my understanding is that it's expensive to have manuals certified (probably not using the right word here) and be able to sell them so companies are just foregoing those costs.
The certification cost is peanuts compared to the design effort, supply chain, sourcing, inventory, manufacturing process, testing, reliability, etc related to maintaining two different transmissions for a given product. Every one of those things effectively doubles the cost and if you can't amortize it across a high number of units sold...well that adds up pretty fast.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #69
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
I hear you but if you think that if everyone boosted their engines to quintuple the power output the transmissions would have the same failure rate, that's delusional. You'd see a lot more widespread failures for sure. Glad those people are getting luck with their units but they are on borrowed time.
Oh I get it...... definitely not delusional. These guys building these high hp cars have money to do such and are fully aware it's not going to last 100K miles. Much like the guys that can afford to buy the new M5 at 600 something HP, you think they are going to keep them past warranty or over 100k.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #70
WDE46

Quote:
Hydraulics are part of the transmission system right? Rod bearings are part of the engine right?

Come on dude.

None of this has anything to do with the ability of a manual to handle the power output of the engine but instead has everything to do with the fact that the vast majority of Americans don't want a manual.

The transmission issue had nothing to do with the torque going through it. That's the point.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #71
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
What is the reason for so many short lived clutches on the E39 M5 then? that was a serious problem area, was it the flywheel weight/design? what?

Because that car is only 400HP and from what I understand, it shredded clutches for a living on a daily basis.

It was just undersized I believe. Plenty of good aftermarket clutches had no such weakness.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #72
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
Hello I am 20-something and have read plenty of articles and introductory textbooks pertaining to this matter. I've also passed many multiple-choice exams in my time. I am thus highly qualified to guide your perspective on this highly technical and strategic issue.
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #73
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatard View Post
Hello I am 20-something and have read plenty of articles and introductory textbooks pertaining to this matter. I've also passed many multiple-choice exams in my time. I am thus highly qualified to guide your perspective on this highly technical and strategic issue.

You're literally retarded

Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #74
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The transmission issue had nothing to do with the torque going through it. That's the point.

The hydraulics are part of the transmission so if they fail, the trans fails. The torque going through it has nothing to do with the sh1tty reliability but the transmissions as a whole were less than stellar in reliability.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #75
SamDoe1

Quote:
Oh I get it...... definitely not delusional. These guys building these high hp cars have money to do such and are fully aware it's not going to last 100K miles. Much like the guys that can afford to buy the new M5 at 600 something HP, you think they are going to keep them past warranty or over 100k.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #76
WDE46

BMW Says Manual Gearboxes Dead by 2024

Quote:
The hydraulics are part of the transmission so if they fail, the trans fails. The torque going through it has nothing to do with the sh1tty reliability but the transmissions as a whole were less than stellar in reliability.

But that's not the point. We're talking about manuals not being able to take the power. That Getrag transmission was more than strong enough. The hydraulics have zero to do with the transmission's strength and durability in regards to the topic at hand.

You're being difficult on purpose.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-19-2017 at 06:09 PM.