E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #81
WilloCO

My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
Bit of progress today despite inlaw visit. I finished cleaning up my valve cover - mostly just wiping out the stuff that I dissolved with simple green. The new pcv diaphram fit perfectly, I just had to clean up the spring seat and it was simple. I put grey rtv on the sealing surfaces of the cover (and the engine seams) since the aluminum wasn't as smooth as I'd prefer. If I knew someone with a giant belt sander I would have had it smoothed, but I think the RTV was a good alternative. I did use carb cleaner as well as some synthetic wheel brushes to clean things up quite a bit. The engine support is back on and I'm hoping to tackle the header install tomorrow.
05 330xi 6 speed
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #82
WilloCO

Headers are on! I ended up needing to chase threads on a few of the stud mounts, but it went well. New O2 sensors (Bosch) from Amazon were only $40 each. New nuts, studs and gaskets made for a clean install. Next episode I'll reinstall the front diff and cross member....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using E46Fanatics mobile app
05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #83
WilloCO

I've been productive - I rebuilt the ZF power steering pump with new seals and gutted the intake. The upgraded DISA (german auto solutions mod) is ready to go. The TB and IAC are now clean and I've replaced all the cooling lines under the intake. I'm almost tempted to replace the heater control valve, but it's pretty easy to reach.
My modified PS cooler is mounted thanks to a pair of steel brackets I whipped up and a bit more killer epoxy. I will need to mod the airflow shroud to fit it, which is fine since mine is cracked anyway.
Today I'll start by replacing my HVAC fan - it's been chirping and I found a new BEHR unit for it.
Things are coming together. My only major issue right now is the clearance I need to run the monster AN10 hose for my PS reservoir to pump. Those fittings are HUGE.
I may have to get a banjo or maybe just another 90 end. It all depends on how it shakes out. Hmm, maybe I'll tackle that before I put the intake back so I'll have lots of room to work with it.
05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #84
stahlgraue46

Gutting the intake? How do you do this? Just remove the little trumpet looking thing from the air box or what?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
stahlgraue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #85
WilloCO

By gutted, I just meant that I removed it and all its little friends from the engine.

My intake is now re-installed. I cleaned all the things (DISA is modded with new GAS flapper, IAC is cleaned, MAF is cleaned) new gaskets, new vacuum plugs, new vacuum hoses, new coolant hoses, new coolant hardlines, finally put in the new lower boot, newish upper boot, then I worked over my new power steering hose setup (Now it's all stainless/teflon hoses except for the Res to the Pump.)

I'm slightly boned today. None of my latest critical parts arrived this week due to a crazy spring snow storm in the mountains where I live. On the bright side, I've got aluminum on hand and I've been sorting out my milling issues. I was surprised by some 1 inch aluminum stock in the mail. I decided to pre-emptively replace my a/c compressor since I'm doing the condenser already.

Parts I'll be machining:
Bracket to finish mounting the zionsville tank to my CSF radiator with the stock fan shroud
Oil sensor adapter. The S54 housing has two holes and we need 2 sensors and the vanos feed line.
Thermostat spacer/adapter (zionsville/bimmerworld competition thermostat style)

I did some rapid prototyping with my laser cutter and then remembered that getting designs out of corel draw (best for the laser) into dxf sucks...
05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #86
stahlgraue46

Gutting the intake? How do you do this? Just remove the little trumpet looking thing from the air box or what?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
stahlgraue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #87
WilloCO

Yesterday was family stuff but today I did a bit more. I've got a plan for the rear suspension and hit all my project points with pb blaster again.

I half way ran a pair of lines for the oil cooler. Terminated the engine side of both lines and started planning mounting brackets.
I pulled the AC compressor and lines, then flushed the lines. The new condenser now has mounting brackets and is ready to go in once my new compressor and orings show up.

05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 AM   #88
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Since you have opened the a/c you will need a new filter dryer and re-gas. Water from the air will contaminate the a/c internals.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #89
WilloCO

I know. I flushed the lines yesterday, have new orings on the way, a new receiver drier, a new compressor, new evaporator and rented a vacuum pump to properly evac the system before repress. I'm not planning on touching the evaporator but I may look it up today just in case it's easier than I think.
05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #90
WilloCO

yeah, no. I'm not ripping out my dash unless I have to. If I do then I'll have to hunt down a new blower housing since mine has a lovely crack in it.
05 330xi 6 speed
Old 05-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #91
WilloCO

Made my oil cooler and PS reservoir brackets this morning. Paint is drying, I'll terminate hoses later and hopefully get to run the engine again after that.

05 330xi 6 speed
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #92
WilloCO

Dang! It's been an interesting and annoying day today.

Checked everything out, looked good. I was filling the oil and realized that I never installed the dipstick.
I had to rip out the intake boots and DISA to get it installed, then I noted that my M56 dipstick didn't line up with the mounting point for the old one. After pondering, I decided to just crimp and weld the old PCV tube shut. After that, I cursed alot and finally got the stupid dip stick in. Oh, and then I broke the fuel tank air line elbow connector.
After searching a bit I found the part number for the hose that goes all the way back. I made my own connector using a couple different sizes of hose I had laying around. Now the hose is all connected and I shouldn't need to rip out that stupid plastic line.

OK,
After all that, I disco'd the coils and cranked the engine a bit to get the oil system primed. With that complete, she started right up.
The rest of the afternoon was me adding fluids, looking for leaks and making a mess with coolant everywhere.
All my custom hoses seem good to go! So now I'm vacuuming the AC system again and plan to go fill it in another hour or so.
05 330xi 6 speed