E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Awesome work. Where do you get your plans or do you just make it up as you go?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Brad W

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Thanks guys.

I draw up all of my designs... mechanical pencil and a ruler. But honestly, I've looked at so many magazines and the plans they publish, books, and stuff online, that I'm just extracting elements from pre-existing stuff that I like.

Some of the boxes I've made, I'm using techniques taken from a book on box making that I have, but I've yet to copy one of their projects exactly.

I've definitely worked my way into a corner a few times and I'd probably have a more consistent product, if I'd go off plans. I guess I like the process of picturing something in my head, putting the concept on paper with dimensions, then stepping through the process of making it a reality.

Near future plans are to make a mantle clock to sit on the mantle I made (that hanging clock needs to go).

ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Brad W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
^+1

I also like that third box you showed, makes me want to make a humidor
humidors are a very popular subject in the WW world.

If you are looking for a WW forum group, I thing Sawmill Creek is probably the most active with the largest user base.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/

You will find guys there doing everything from the Pens you are getting into, to the humidors, and everything in between. I'm not very active there anymore, but its a great resource when needed.

ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Thanks, I'll check it out once I get more involved in the wood working world
Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Guest100615
Account closed per your request

You are very talented.

I recently saw some 'turned wood' that some guys made. They took a raw piece of wood......like a tree stump ....and turned it on a lathe and made bowels and vases with them. A couple of them on display used 2,3 kinds of wood 'mortised' into each other. Beautiful woodwork. It looked too pretty to actually use it. It looked like it belonged in a museum.

Have you ever tried anything like that ?
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
I've been woodworking for about eight years now. I'm self taught and don't have a lot of time, so it has been slow going, but I enjoy it. I'm mostly into doing basic stuff like small and medium sized boxes, picture frames, clocks, cutting boards, all the staple entry level projects.

I've done a few bigger things too, like a dining table, mantle, sofa table, and some other stuff.

I consider myself to be marginally talented. Here are a few of my pieces...

My masterpiece. This is in our dining room. It is eight feet long. Wood is Alder and Walnut
This looks fantastic. No joke, part of the reason I ever want to own a home (as opposed to living in a small space downtown) is so I can undertake a project like this and have a huge, beautiful dining table.

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
SamDoe1

Woodworking is something I definitely want to get into. I'll be buying a bunch of things to get started this black Friday.

Care to share some of your plans with us? Understandable if you don't want to.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Brad W

Thanks guys

Sorry to hijack your thread Shaban

if you guys want to see some more pics of the table, work in progress too, here ya go
http://www.mediafire.com/view/5sm21i...ivubgk69vo06l6

first time I've gone back and looked at these pictures in a while. My shop area (garage) has changed a lot since I did this table. You can probably tell I'm really not set up for doing anything this large, and I'd probably never do it again until I have a real shop and some bigger tools and work area.

ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
Brad W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Woodworking is something I definitely want to get into. I'll be buying a bunch of things to get started this black Friday.

Care to share some of your plans with us? Understandable if you don't want to.

They are literally just sketches in a notebook. You would have a hard time making sense of most of my scribbles. Often I'll draw something up and then not touch it for six months, and it takes me a little time to remember what was in my head when I put it on paper.

The best advice I can give is a few books and sawmillcreek.org. There are basics where everyone needs to start, but it is good to know what you'd like to do eventually, that way everything you do on smaller scales is in an attempt to build skill and work towards your goal. I personally love traditional Craftsman style furniture, but I'm off furniture until I build my shop and get more space. In the mean time. picture frames, boxes, clocks, etc, are the common starting points for any woodworker.

Looking at a LOT of pictures and understanding what styles you like is really important. This is an art and it comes from within. Yes, you will start out making the same thing everyone else makes, but as you build skill, you start ti incorporate your own style. I love highlighting the joinery in a piece. You can see it in my table in how I did the walnut ends (that function of putting the ends on is called "breadboard ends"). Lots of people do it so that dado joint is hidden. I left it exposed on purpose. Much of the Craftsman style uses joinery that is exposed.

Finishing is huge too. Again, there is personal style and what you like that comes into play with what you have to work with. I don't like thick film finishes, favoring the oil rubbed finishes. But, depending on the piece, and what its intended use is, a film finish might be more appropriate.

Its a hobby that can span an entire lifetime. I am interested in turning, but there are so many things I haven't done not related to turning, that I doubt I'll ever try it. Turning is a whole world in and of itself. The pen making is really popular and is a great entry level hobby because start up costs are reasonable. I've got thousands tied up in tools and could easily go drop 10k tomorrow if I wanted.... so, its not a cheap hobby at all to get into the big stuff (if you do it all by hand and not use big machines, entry cost is much lower of course, but I'm a machine kind of guy)

Often considered the Bible of finishing.
Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing

This is a decent enough book to get started on boxes. boxes are truly a staple of the woodworking hobbyist, and some guys never leave that world. Humidors are just boxes and the guys that make these things get really deep into the creativity
Box Making Basics

This book covers the various types of joinery

at sawmillcreek.org, go into the section where people are showing off their work. You will figure out the guys that are doing things you are interested in, and then you can start talking with them.

read read read. Its just like here, there is a sh!tload of information out there, you just need to search. Often on forums people get pissy about answering the same question over and over (sound familiar?)

ZPP, ZSP, ZCW

Last edited by Brad W; 11-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Check out this guy, he's crazy skilled

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #31
Shaban

Quote:
Thanks guys

Sorry to hijack your thread Shaban

if you guys want to see some more pics of the table, work in progress too, here ya go
http://www.mediafire.com/view/5sm21i...ivubgk69vo06l6

first time I've gone back and looked at these pictures in a while. My shop area (garage) has changed a lot since I did this table. You can probably tell I'm really not set up for doing anything this large, and I'd probably never do it again until I have a real shop and some bigger tools and work area.
No worries, this thread is about wood working and you're so far the biggest contributor!

Nice work on that table, one day I'll do something like that.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #32
Shaban

Wood Working

http://imgur.com/jjPv0q9

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Shaban; 11-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Wood Working

I've done a builtin entertainment center and bookshelf stretching a wall and over a door. It's amazing what you can do with router, wood filler and stain or glazed/faux painting.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #34
Brad W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
http://imgur.com/jjPv0q9

cool

I've actually contemplated this a few times, but I just don't have the space for a lathe, even a mini.... well, I don't want to make the space. Once I have a real shop maybe I'll change my tune. Part of my problem now is my wood shop is also where I park a car, work on car, store crap, work on home projects, etc. ... just too much going on in there.

ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #35
Shaban

Quote:
cool

I've actually contemplated this a few times, but I just don't have the space for a lathe, even a mini.... well, I don't want to make the space. Once I have a real shop maybe I'll change my tune. Part of my problem now is my wood shop is also where I park a car, work on car, store crap, work on home projects, etc. ... just too much going on in there.
I just put it on a small table in the corner of my garage next to the door lol
Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #36
SamDoe1

Bumping this. Anyone doing woodworking around here? Something I've really gotten into over the past few months. Here's some of the work I've done:

Maple, walnut, and paduk end grain cutting board for my mom's birthday, new one out of walnut and maple inbound for our new kitchen:

Coasters made out of scrap plywood:

Coffee table for the basement area, will make end tables soon:
Old 05-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #37
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Wow, nice work! Not gon' lie: when I saw your post above (from 2013) about totally getting into woodworking soon, I thought "I wonder if he ever actually did it." Scroll down, and voila! Actual woodworking. Nice job.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #38
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Sam, are you employed?
Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #39
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Sam, are you employed?
Yes? Not sure where you're going with this lol.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #40
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Sam, have you tried making TV mounts? My bro in law is a carpenter and he made me some from plywood or whatever wood it is. Strong as a mofo holding up my heavy as5 TV.

I'll snap a pic later when i get a chance