Artificial Intelligence - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #41
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Yea, and that's basically how people play games.

The basic definition of intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge (or data, in computer terms).
But is that really learning in the sense we're talking about? I can program a robot to map out a room and then drive around it without hitting anything. Would you say that robot possesses intelligence or actual learning ability? By some definitions, yes, but in terms of what I think we're all really discussing, no.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #42
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
But is that really learning in the sense we're talking about? I can program a robot to map out a room and then drive around it without hitting anything. Would you say that robot possesses intelligence or actual learning ability? By some definitions, yes, but in terms of what I think we're all really discussing, no.

Same with my phone. It's learned ph4gg0t as a word, and suggests it when I'm typing. That doesn't make it intelligent.

An intelligent phone would learn to use l33t for all the censored words, without being taught each one.

True story, though.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #43
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Bingo, card games are not AI. The computer is just number crunching probabilities given by cards in hand, cards available, cards showing, etc and finding out what its probability of winning is based on that. It isn't learning so to speak, it's executing code is all.
I think you're missing the point. Yes, all it's doing when it plays is executing code about probabilities to figure out what to do. But that set of rules that makes up it's algorithm, what actually determines the probability of winning based on a given set of data, was entirely self-taught. It's using a neural net to develop its own algorithm.

Quote:
True AI would have the ability to learn how to play poker without any coding at all beyond the base AI code.
That is the point. That's exactly what it did. It was programmed with the rules of poker, that's all. That constitutes the "base AI code" since all this research project set out to do initially was solve poker. When a new person plays poker for the first time, you explain the rules to them the same way. From there they said, "now go figure out how to win." And it did just that, to the point where it can never lose, using a computer network that simulates neurons in the brain. That's more than can be said of any human, and is extremely impressive. In fact, according to the articles on it, the strategy it uses goes against what most poker players will tell you, so it sounds like they could learn some things from it.

All AI is ever going to do is develop algorithms based on probabilities developed from increasingly complex unstructured data sets. How can i have the best chance of a desirable outcome, based on what I was programmed to consider desirable? This doesn't make it any less intelligent, and is exactly how our own brains work, except right now our brains can handle much more nuanced data sets that include things like inflection in speech, or subtle body language in interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You have to start somewhere. And I'd say figuring out how to beat any human in poker is a pretty good start.

You might be thinking of consciousness, which is different from intelligence. AI doesn't have to be self aware to be AI.

If it can pass the Turing test though, then it's smart enough to fool you into thinking it's actually another person (and self aware).
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #44
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Yes, I see what you mean.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #45
jeffro3000

I think movies have trained people to think of AI as Arnold Schwarzenegger running around as a super human robot. AI is actually a lot more simple, and really only involves computers being able to "learn" in a way that replicates the process in the human brain so that it can solve more complicated problems than it could before. Moore's Law has eventually given us enough processing power to carry out this new technique using neural networks. Right now we'll only see it manifested as smarter Google search results, more accurate translation apps, better Youtube or Google Now recommendations, more accurate voice to text transcription, etc. As it progresses, it will no doubt get closer to Arnold status, but that will still only be much more advanced iterations of what's happening now.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #46
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/01/agi...illion-in.html
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #47
Iceman00
Banned User

My Ride: E90 6MT
I'm afraid of having my neck broken by a robot, I won't lie.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #48
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
I think you're missing the point. Yes, all it's doing when it plays is executing code about probabilities to figure out what to do. But that set of rules that makes up it's algorithm, what actually determines the probability of winning based on a given set of data, was entirely self-taught. It's using a neural net to develop its own algorithm.

This wasn't properly conveyed in your post about it. I figured it was just another chess computer that learned other people's patterns and strategies given the coding on how to do so. If the computer was given a set of rules and developed all of it's own algorithms for how to play then that's getting up to the AI point.

That is the point. That's exactly what it did. It was programmed with the rules of poker, that's all. That constitutes the "base AI code" since all this research project set out to do initially was solve poker. When a new person plays poker for the first time, you explain the rules to them the same way. From there they said, "now go figure out how to win." And it did just that, to the point where it can never lose, using a computer network that simulates neurons in the brain. That's more than can be said of any human, and is extremely impressive. In fact, according to the articles on it, the strategy it uses goes against what most poker players will tell you, so it sounds like they could learn some things from it.

All AI is ever going to do is develop algorithms based on probabilities developed from increasingly complex unstructured data sets. How can i have the best chance of a desirable outcome, based on what I was programmed to consider desirable? This doesn't make it any less intelligent, and is exactly how our own brains work, except right now our brains can handle much more nuanced data sets that include things like inflection in speech, or subtle body language in interaction.

We are in agreement then.
See above
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #49
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I'm afraid of having my neck broken by a robot, I won't lie.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #50
Iceman00
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Yeah, but she likes it!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #51
jeffro3000

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...ks-at-pac-man/

Google's AI Masters Space Invaders (But It Still Stinks at Pac-Man)

Quote:
That news comes via a new paper in the scientific journal Nature, which says that the software learned to play 22 classic Atari titles better than a human expert video game tester could. The work updates an earlier paper on the same software published at an AI conference in late 2013. Back then the software took on seven titles, and it could only outperform humans at three. At the time DeepMind was an independent startup.

Hassabis’s team, called Google DeepMind, has now developed a more complex, tuned-up version of their “deep Q-network” that took on 49 different Atari games. That it became a superhuman player of 22 of them, including Space Invaders, underlines the power of DeepMind’s technology. But the way it lagged human performance at 20 others, and only matched it for the rest, is a reminder that even this unusually capable software still has only limited intelligence.

Services like mobile assistants and automatic translation are familiar and workable today, but they can be frustratingly limited. Software that can learn to beat you at video games may be exciting, but its first real impact on the world is likely to be bringing new ( you might say overdue) polish to services we already use.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #52
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
http://www.technologyreview.com/view...ks-at-pac-man/

Google's AI Masters Space Invaders (But It Still Stinks at Pac-Man)
It might be able to play Crysis, but can it run Crysis?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #53
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
Quote:
Part of intelligence is the preservation of life no?
Says who? Countless species do instinctive things that costs them their own lives. Oh, but you meant humans, right? Because AI is automatically human in nature? Well even with your convoluted logic, you have heard of something called "suicide" no?

Last edited by invisible man; 02-26-2015 at 02:56 PM.
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #54
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
Says who? Countless species do instinctive things that costs them their own lives. Oh, but you meant humans, right? Because AI is automatically human in nature? Well even with your convoluted logic, you have heard of something called "suicide" no?
What? Do some reading then come back and talk.

If countless species do things that cost their own lives then chances are they aren't considered "intelligent".

Suicide is not the same thing as preserving life. Normal subconscious reaction to a threat is to preserve life in some way shape or form regardless of species.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #55
invisible man

Clearly you don't know what intelligence means. "Smart" and "intelligent" are not one and the same. It appears YOU should do some reading then come back and talk.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #56
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Still in the ANI phase. You can start to worry when AI gets in the ASI phase, then we done, but It'll be a while.

Last edited by Krizzy TanG; 02-26-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Krizzy TanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #57
Iceman00
Banned User

Close Quarters Combat - I can still kick any machine's ass in hand to hand, so I'm good.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #58
invisible man

Quote:
Close Quarters Combat - I can still kick any machine's ass in hand to hand, so I'm good.
LMAO OK dude. This thing isn't even intelligent (yet) and it would still kick your @ss.

Last edited by invisible man; 02-26-2015 at 05:34 PM.
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #59
NOVAbimmer

Quote:

Just keep telling yourself that as chokebot's hydraulic hand crushes your pathetic organic windpipe.

B1tches can't talk sh!t with a crushed windpipe.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #60
invisible man

Did you really just repost your own pic in the very same thread?