E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
3 years isn't long enough. stock regulator lasts 5-7 years typically. Your previous owner couldve replaced it prior

Cross your fingers for me and keep your affiliate link ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #22
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
Cross your fingers for me and keep your affiliate link ready.
I once had my E46's driver's side regulator fail causing the window to fall down into the door.

That's one way to receive a happy meal.

Happened when I first bought the car and drove it home for the first time. In addition to the low coolant light coming on. That was a fun day.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #23
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan1205 View Post
On a more serious note...For a couple months the car was having rough shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. I probably should've had it looked at, but I decided not to because I just graduated from college and plan to buy a new car in the next year or so. I also only do city driving, no highway.
I guess there is no way of know what's wrong until I get it looked at. I just have trouble thinking about spending another $4k on a car that is worth less than that now.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Initially I was thinking it was as simple as a transmission fluid flush and filter change. Now I'm not sure.
+2 on topping fluid. Might as well drop the pan and refill whatever comes out while you're in there. Don't do 4k for an auto if it has failed. See it as an opportunity to do a manual swap. $1,500 if you get parts quick, $900 if you look for the deals.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #24
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
Does anybody else hear their fuel pump running outside their car?
I used to hear it late at night. Finally got a dog and there have been no further shenanigans.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #25
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
Is it possible to have a car for such a long time, but also you've never touched a window regulator or the FSR?
147k have touched neither.

And of course the wrathful gods of complacency will cause both to fail tomorrow.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #26
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
147k have touched neither.

And of course the wrathful gods of complacency will cause both to fail tomorrow.
Exactly why I was scared to ask...

170k..16 years olds. =D

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #27
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
1. What's Mango's real name?
2. What does he look like?
haha i thought you were onto that info?

why do i have to replace my hard brake lines? can i replace the rear lines all the way from the caliper to the DSC without dropping the gas tank and rear subframe?

am i too lazy to do anything?

the answer to the last one is yes.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
haha i thought you were onto that info?

why do i have to replace my hard brake lines? can i replace the rear lines all the way from the caliper to the DSC without dropping the gas tank and rear subframe?

am i too lazy to do anything?

the answer to the last one is yes.
lol I'm about to drop that picture that I shared with you into this thread

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #29
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
+2 on topping fluid. Might as well drop the pan and refill whatever comes out while you're in there. Don't do 4k for an auto if it has failed. See it as an opportunity to do a manual swap. $1,500 if you get parts quick, $900 if you look for the deals.
I'm going to look into it. My father insists that there will be problems with longevity if I do the swap and it's not worth the time and work. I love my car and I have an extra vehicle so it's worth it to me. I think the most important thing is finding someone to code the car once the physical work is done, but that's a ways down the road.

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #30
sonngy

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330CI SMG
Is there a Bluetooth/aux or something I can put in my e46 with Nav that's just plug and play. I don't want to have to cut through plastic because I want to leave my car looking as oem as possible. Willing to spend around $100 if that's what it takes
sonngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #31
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Do I have a car with the most robust fuel system from the production line? Fuel Filter was original and pump still is and both were at 175K when I replaced the filter.

And yes, JFOJ, I do have a new VDO pump that I got off of Amazon to replace it when/if it fails.

Also my cooling system was original factory until I got a hold of the car.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #32
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
I changed my coils and check engine light is still on.
I changed my coils and still get a misfire.
I changed my coils and car still wont start.
I changed my coils and car still overheats.
I changed my coils and my tires still flat.
I changed my coils and my radio still sounds bad.
I changed my coils and my window still wont go up.

(I'm amazed at how many posts I read where people change the coils first thing everytime something goes wrong with their car...and then are surprised when it didn't fix anything.)
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #33
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Thread: Questions you thought were too dumb to ask

^ isn't this a supportive thread where no question is wrong? Don't hate just because you know better regarding automotive repair. :p

Trying to think of one myself, but I'm normally not afraid to ask questions, dumb or not.

At Silverdog: ROTFL jfoj and his fuel pumps.

Last edited by BKMrSteel; 08-13-2016 at 12:05 AM.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #34
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post

One more: Should I attempt a manual swap without a lift? The extent of my DIYs is having done a full suspension replacement to OFHG and VANOs. And should I wait for my automatic to fail?
I dont think a lift is that necessary. but its going to make any job easier.

ive got the manual tranny out of my brothers E36 laying around. probably a job for next spring. until then I will abuse my auto

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #35
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
I changed my coils and check engine light is still on.
I changed my coils and still get a misfire.
I changed my coils and car still wont start.
I changed my coils and car still overheats.
I changed my coils and my tires still flat.
I changed my coils and my radio still sounds bad.
I changed my coils and my window still wont go up.

(I'm amazed at how many posts I read where people change the coils first thing everytime something goes wrong with their car...and then are surprised when it didn't fix anything.)
That and cleaning the MAF.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:41 AM   #36
bobnagga

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan1205 View Post
I'm going to look into it. My father insists that there will be problems with longevity if I do the swap and it's not worth the time and work. I love my car and I have an extra vehicle so it's worth it to me. I think the most important thing is finding someone to code the car once the physical work is done, but that's a ways down the road.
To hell with longevity! Sticks are more fun!

As far as coding goes, you wouldn't think a manual transmission is computer controlled, but what do I know? These cars seem to have a "module" for every button and interior panel.

Yo, but seriously, manuals are orders of magnitude cheaper and simpler to work on. I don't think longevity is an issue. ... Unless you're just really bad at driving stick...

Last edited by bobnagga; 08-13-2016 at 12:43 AM.
bobnagga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:12 AM   #37
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Anyone know of a good weather sealant that's paint safe? I moved my coup tail light (PN:63216933019) covering from my OEM (15 years old) to my DEPO tail lights. I just read a pretty intense thread about the importance of these. My old ones don't align with the body well and I'm not sure if new ones will fit. I figure off brand is why it isn't fitting properly. It's off by less than half an inch...
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #38
alex9452

My Ride: 04 m3
I was just driving my car and everything was fine. Then I get to work put the E brake on and kept it idle while I ran in to do something no more than 5 mins. So I go back to my car put the E brake down and start driving. It felt like there was a twisting near my rear axel. Then I put it in reverse and it was gone and I was able to drive again. Now my question is, can that be the E brake not disengaging or can that be something worse?
alex9452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #39
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
^ isn't this a supportive thread where no question is wrong? Don't hate just because you know better regarding automotive repair. :p

Trying to think of one myself, but I'm normally not afraid to ask questions, dumb or not.

At Silverdog: ROTFL jfoj and his fuel pumps.
Crap...youre right....my post wasn't really in the spirit of the thread...I glanced at the title and then posted......

Last edited by dan4081; 08-13-2016 at 07:24 AM.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #40
veektor

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I once had my E46's driver's side regulator fail causing the window to fall down into the door.

That's one way to receive a happy meal.

Happened when I first bought the car and drove it home for the first time. In addition to the low coolant light coming on. That was a fun day.

The driver's window regulator on my car failed the day before I took ownership, the guy dropped his price $100 for that. Unfortunately I was already aware of regulators being a weak spot and didn't ask for greater concession on price. Replacing a window regulator seemed like a proper way to begin BMW ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
combined, common, simple, thread, unorganized