E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #41
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Hopefully these are the dream of Apple hardware running Google software.

Currently my Nexus 5X is Google software running on potato hardware.

And my iPad is Apple hardware running potato software.

Why can't I just have everything? Is everything so much to ask?
6P brosef.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #42
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Here's the summary of phones right now.

Google Nexus
- Hardware: Not good, 1/3
- Software: Excellent, 3/3

iPhone
- Hardware: Good, 2/3
- Software: Good, 2/3

Galaxy
- Hardware: Excellent (aside from recent defect in batteries), 3/3
- Software: Not good, 1/3

So no matter where you go, it adds up to the same score, just depends on where you want the emphasis. iPhone is well rounded, Nexus and Galaxy make a tradeoff, better in one area, worse in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
6P brosef.
The 6P is definitely better than the 5X, but overall, Google's hardware efforts have been lackluster. Pixel C, slow. Nexus 9, slow. 5X, slow. 6, slow.

Even the 6P was hamstrung by weak Qualcomm processors last year. The 810 was meh at best.

I'm thinking that Google is tired of all their efforts to get OEMs to update their phones failing. The only thing left to try is competitive pressure, which is where Pixel phones come in. No more tip-toeing around with Nexus phones, not wanting to compete directly. Pixel will be more heavily marketed that Nexus, more accessible to normal consumers (in stores, financing, etc), and meant to be a shot across the bow of Samsung et al. They'll probably be more expensive than last years Nexus phones also, more in line with Galaxy/iPhone pricing.

It's a joke that companies like Motorola can say "We aren't providing the monthly security updates." Google needs to put them out of their misery. iPhones and Nexus can push out security patches at will. If a company can't do that, they have no business selling phones. Companies like Samsung insisting on bloatware isn't helping either.

Pixel is the start of Google saying, "Well, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

Last edited by jeffro3000; 09-15-2016 at 10:08 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #43
jeffro3000

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...ill-available/

The smaller 5" phone rumored to start at $649...

They're setting the bar high if true. It better be worth that kind of money.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #44
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
A bit overpriced I think.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #45
jeffro3000

I think they're going after "normal" consumers with this one.

Charge $650, but offer financing. Obfuscate the actual cost. Most phones already cost that much anyway.

Most people would rather pay $27/month for 2 years than pay $300 up front. The first option is a lower number on the price tag.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #46
Stankia

Yeah but for that kind of money one could get an S7.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #47
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
They're aiming at being a legit hardware competitor. No more budget stuff.

New pics today: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...pixel-xl-leak/

The antenna window thing is kinda weird. Might have to put a Dbrand skin on the back...

Not digging the iPhone bezels either.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 09-19-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #48
Stankia

Quote:
They're aiming at being a legit hardware competitor. No more budget stuff.

New pics today: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...pixel-xl-leak/

The antenna window thing is kinda weird. Might have to put a Dbrand skin on the back...

Not digging the iPhone bezels either.

Yeah but what does that even mean? Nothing about the previous Nexuses was "budget", except the price. Specs and build quality was top notch, how are they gonna justify the price increase?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #49
jeffro3000

There's plenty of room for the build quality to get better, especially on the smaller phone. The last Nexus phones still didn't go head to head with an iPhone or Galaxy on hardware. Both of those start at $650.

If the Nexus software wasn't so much better than those I'd have bought one of them by now. I'd gladly pay $650 for high end hardware to match.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #50
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post

yes but then you'd have to deal with Samsung software.

Quote:
There's plenty of room for the build quality to get better, especially on the smaller phone. The last Nexus phones still didn't go head to head with an iPhone or Galaxy on hardware. Both of those start at $650.

If the Nexus software wasn't so much better than those I'd have bought one of them by now. I'd gladly pay $650 for high end hardware to match.
I don't get why you say that though. The 6P hardware was/is great for anything and everything I do with mine even after a year and one major software revision. Because there's no bloat, there's no need to have super high end hardware.

I'd rather have another 6P style device than an expensive one.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #51
jeffro3000

One of the problems last year that i guess wasn't completely in Google's control was the processors. They sucked. Benchmarks even showed the 2013 SD800 being faster in many scenarios. Even still, it seems like other companies were able to achieve better thermal management and therefore less throttling than the Nexus phones had. My wife's 6P gets bogged down more often than my iPad does for sure. The 5X is not really even worth mentioning here. There's definitely room for improvement in performance.

Beyond that though, Google seems to have a fixation with very slow NAND storage. I guess it's a cost saving measure? It makes a difference though.

Finally, if you put a 6P and a Note 7 on a table and asked a random person which one they think is more expensive, I guarantee they'll correctly pick the Note 7. It's the difference between a functional design (the nondescript Nexus rectangles) and something that looks like effort was put into making it look fantastic (Note 7). It almost looks like something from the future. Even iPhones look dated next to it. Based on the leaks though, I don't know how much they'll have going for them here. Regardless, I'll settle for a 5" phone that isn't slow as hell, and doesn't creak and rattle.

But yea, it will probably be less of an upgrade for people with a 6P, depending on how much faster it is, or how much better the new camera is. Might be a tougher sell than the small phone. But it would be easy for sailfish to be worth twice the Nexus 5X though. I'm pretty tired of mine.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 09-20-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #52
SamDoe1

Here's the thing though, for half the cost I bet a lot of people would take the 6P. Google just doesn't market then at all. The 5X was and is slow but my 6P is working great and I don't see any reason to upgrade this year.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #53
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
"better"

In what way?

A spec sheet alone can't determine if something is comprehensively "better" than something else.
case in point - e46
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #54
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
funny how people discount ergonomics (ie large top & bottom bezel) in a touch screen phone, and finally they realize and bring it in. Looks like an iphone.
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #55
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Where can I buy the Pixel when it comes out? Can it be purchased from a carrier? I'm not dropping $650 on a phone.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #56
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Where can I buy the Pixel when it comes out? Can it be purchased from a carrier? I'm not dropping $650 on a phone.
From the Google store, you can finance it.

Rumor is that Verizon will carry it at launch also. Would be the first time since the Galaxy Nexus that Verizon sold a Google phone.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #57
jeffro3000

Looks like they are already advertising Pixel more than Nexus ever was

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comme...t&compact=true
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #58
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
From the Google store, you can finance it.

Rumor is that Verizon will carry it at launch also. Would be the first time since the Galaxy Nexus that Verizon sold a Google phone.
Regardless of payment method, I'm not spending that on a phone. Anything over $199 or $299 for the large is nuts. Bummer, it means I'm stuck getting another Samsung and digging for a root.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #59
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Regardless of payment method, I'm not spending that on a phone. Anything over $199 or $299 for the large is nuts. Bummer, it means I'm stuck getting another Samsung and digging for a root.
I'm pretty sure that the $199/$299 phones are subsidized, meaning you pay for the full price of the phone over time out of your mobile plan with your carrier.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #60
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Quote:
You're paying for it whether you think so or not.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote