Turbo project for a budget - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #41
jd improved

My Ride: charged 330i smg
I'm using the same Siemens Deka Volvo s/v40 T injektors and haven't corrected the ip_ti_add_dly__vb Map, it works but if some one has the the dead times for this injektors it would be very nice. I measured them on the car with the original 3,5 Bar FPR and they made ~380cc/min

Also RS4 Maf works very well.

Last edited by jd improved; 12-01-2016 at 06:44 AM.
jd improved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #42
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd improved View Post
I'm using the same Siemens Deka Volvo s/v40 T injektors and haven't corrected the ip_ti_add_dly__vb Map, it works but if some one has the the dead times for this injektors it would be very nice. I measured them on the car with the original 3,5 Bar FPR and they made ~380cc/min

There are different injectors on volvo 1.9t ive noticed it has green , red and black , green specs at 458cc , red 440 and black idk ) ( also since they only made 380 , i have to change the maps again )

Last edited by cwarel; 12-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
jd improved

I have the red ones like you.

They are listed as 440cc/min at 80% Duty Cycle but on which pessure?

To be save, I testet my old original Injektors and the Volvo Injektors on the fuel system in the car. So you know what your new injetors are flowing more than the stock ones. I don't know if the 380cc/min are the correct flow rate but thats what they made on my fuel system.

Last edited by jd improved; 12-01-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #44
cwarel

Quote:
I have the red ones like you.

They are listed as 440cc/min at 80% Duty Cycle but on which pessure?

To be save, I testet my old original Injektors and the Volvo Injektors on the fuel system in the car. So you know what your new injetors are flowing more than the stock ones. I don't know if the 380cc/min are the correct flow rate but thats what they made on my fuel system.
Did you changed the filters within the injectors?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #45
jd improved

I changed pump and fliter a few months before I changed the injektors, and I have 3.5 bar at the fuel rail. Measure your injektors by yourself its the best way, and if you have 8 you can match them!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #46
cwarel

Quote:
I changed pump and fliter a few months before I changed the injektors, and I have 3.5 bar at the fuel rail. Measure your injektors by yourself its the best way, and if you have 8 you can match them!
No im talking about injectors filters check first page link for o rings and ull see what im talking about because when i took old ones out they broke because they r damn old
Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 AM   #47
jd improved

Oh, no I didn't changed them, I was thinking about it. Maybe I shuld do that

But I cleaned the injectors in a ultrasonic bath a few times and when I tested them they were all very close on the same flow rate. The old uncleaned b30 injectors were in a range of 240 to 260 cc/min at 3.5bar.

But the main thing I want to tell you is that you should measure them by your own to avoid errors...
Old 12-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #48
cwarel

Quote:

I think ill get the same because volvo fuel pressure is 65psi 4.3 bar so unless i put a fuel regulator in injectors wont make 440. Cleaning them right now(still gonna measure to be sure)

Last edited by cwarel; 12-02-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #49
cwarel

UPDATES BRUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you notice only 1 of the injectors got the right O-ring on the bottom , these ebay guys fcked me but its ok O-rings ez enough to get I just needed the filters ( cat - Main worker right here he's gonna be the one tuning listening for that knock)))) , black things thats old filters )And if you check under the table idk if you can see AFR came in Innovate LC -2
url=https://postimg.org/image/r42bsgikp/][/url]

Last edited by cwarel; 12-02-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #50
cwarel

So got the turbo ,( this internal wastegate can be removed in case i wanna go external) it looks bigger then i expected but im pretty sure it about right size for what im planning to do ( bought all the fittings and hoses for drain and supply line ( supply goes from Oil filter I will place a double banjo bolt there and run a 6 AN hose , drain line is 10AN . The way im gonna tap into the oil pay will not require me to weld in ( its a fitting like a bolt where the nut goes inside the oil pan and secures the fitting but it seems to me pretty sketchy but i dont want to drill a block or weld ( trynna avoid as much welding as I could )

Also raced yesterday a 2009 2.7L 240hp boxter , Its hard to say which car is faster because He would win 50 mph roll ( cuz im running out of 2nd gear and third is not enough ) but when we do rolls before 40mph no matter 2nd or 1 st I win all the time cuz i guess i got a lot more torque , but because his car is so much lighter I guess it compensates
Also another thing My LC-2 wideband , when i Installed it and calibrated Shows that my car on idle runs 10.5 AFR , idk wtf because when I give it gas it goes to 15-16 so im confused ( cant hook it up to laptop cuz i need damn adapter )

Last edited by cwarel; 12-06-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #51
cwarel

It was a regular day untill my car blew up in my face
Still alive
So what happened is I changed a pulley that was bad , and it required to take the radiator fan out , when i was done I never put the plug on the fan , and went for a drive after when I came back I pop the hood to check if everything is OK , and the next moment piece of expansion tank( where water is ) flew right in my face with a mix of boiling water. After a quiet moment of thinking this out I came up with a verdict IM FU**ED ,so gotta spend whole day tomorrow to take apart my other bmw and take parts off it to fix this one , and then spending more money ordering new parts ( btw expansion tank that just blew in my face was 2 month old )
To the part of the good news and not so good
right size O-rings for injectors arrived so I will put them tomorrow also
I got all AN fittings , double banjo bolt , braided hoses and a wrong size banjo thing with a bolt that goes to 6 AN fitting
My stupid ass didnt see the 18x1.5 bolt line in the name of the part i was ordering - the part i had to order supposed to be 14x1.5
On monday I gotta go to court about my speeding ticket which is 130mph in 65mph zone
Also going to the store to buy that banjo thing and another 10 AN 45 degree fitting for oil pan and I SHOULD BE ABLE TO START THE PROJECT
AH 2016 was a bad year for me
Old 12-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #52
xi46

My Ride: 2002 330xi ZPP/SP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
it required to take the radiator fan out , when i was done I never put the plug on the fan

Almost made the same mistake! Fortunately I caught it pretty quickly.

Quote:
On monday I gotta go to court about my speeding ticket which is 130mph in 65mph zone
Holy ! Just be glad you're not planning your turbo build behind bars.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
xi46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #53
Burj

My Ride: LSB E46 M3 turbo
Quote:
So I finally got tired of NA and i want some chooh chooh noises coming from under the bonnet , so i decided to go turbo because it hella lot cheap then buy those 5k kits superchargers , I dont want to go the way of a bolt right up , I like making stuff.
So I decided to go ebay for NOW with a stock engine internals for now also.
So far Ive gathered few things
440ci Injectors off 2000 volvo v40 1,9L turbo Ive got 8 of the injectors and since they all came from junkyard , im buy 2 sets of O-rings and filters for injectors , and before that I will clean them by applying 12 volts to the injector to open it up and blow some brake cleaner or something like that through it.

I bought Innovate LC-2 AFR 52mm gauge full kit
And I went for the most easiest turbo install as far as i think http://www.ebay.com/itm/151810657663...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This turbo has internal wastegate , its has a T3 flange , and a V band for the downpipe because i sort of hate flanges)) Before I put it in the car I will take it apart and check it for quality and maybe modify it.

The O-ring for injectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272119137420...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And the manifold is a 65 dollar manifold that i bought off ebay that is usually goes for 100 , its a stainless steel one , but I should of taken the cast iron because that would take a beating a lot better , oh well u will learn on my mistakes )))

About the tune is Ive got a ms43 so I will try tune it myself to at least start the car ( but i dont think i need a tune because ive got Audi RS4 Maf in the car hopefully that will help)
So far ive spend 400 bucks , I have intecoolers but i dont have piping so thats gonna be another 100 bucks , and the down pipe i will try to make it myself but im a crappy welder and better leave to somebody else at least first 3 ft of the downpipe , the rest i could hande myself maybe.

The car will be a sleeper , and I will be raising boost on it untill engine blows because ive got 2 more that i gotta get rid off ))) anyways , but i think headgasket will go first and from that point I will built the engine properly ))

So I think this project will cost me max 1000 bucks and ill have some sort of boosted car
What power output i wanna go?> damn idk as far as I could bump the boost go up on that ebay turbo , but i dont think it will make over 350 hp , but we shall see
https://s18.postimg.org/992wl8tvt/s_l1600.jpg the picture of the manifold , and I will do bottom mount

How much have you spent so far?

Last edited by Burj; 12-13-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Burj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #54
cwarel

How much have you spent so far?
618 Bucks so far , thats including everything Ive posted here which is
Turbo , manifold , bunch of AN fittings , dual banjo bolt, new ngk spark plugs , oil catch can , AFR
So basically I need 2 more fittings to order and intercooler piping
Then I have to make custom exhaust , and motor mount ill make myself
And im should be good to go , Also just remembered I need new valve cover gasket , Intake manifold is gonna come out for CCV deletion , cuz that sht cracked in half when my car blew the expansion tank , so I went upstate and on the way there OIL light came out , i walk outside of the car , oil all over the place so i bought 10 quarts of 10w-30 pennzoil which cost me 76 bucks just to get my ass back home , and I installed catch can and bypassed ccv completely , but its still mounted to the manifold + oil is all over the engine block on that side and there are so much fumes coming in , i get a headache so i have to order new manifold gaskets and remove manifold and replace all the vacuum hoses that car has. CCV was leaking before and my car was running "lean" but afr showed 10 to 1 so it was too rich , but once i put catch can on it went from 10 to 14,6- 15,3 afr on idle , Im sure there is still vacuum leaks somewhere else , so once i get all that sorted im gonna start , but im looking for a shop that will let me use a lift for a few hours cuz oil pan is a pain in the butthole to take out to drill it and put a fitting there

Once I build my car I will post all the link with exact parts I got and obviously a price that will BE under 1000$

Last edited by cwarel; 12-13-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #55
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi46 View Post
Almost made the same mistake! Fortunately I caught it pretty quickly.

Holy ! Just be glad you're not planning your turbo build behind bars.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Yeah they banged me for 300 bucks
Also from the explosion of radiator , expansion tank and upper hose
CCV somehow split in half , and when i was driving to court( after i put in new rad and expansion with upper hose) the oil was spilling out of drain hose from CCV , and 40 miles in 6 quarts of oil were all over the highway and my car , but i could pull over and had to keep going to the court so i get there on time ( pulled over to autozone and bought 10 quarts of oil) by the time i got home all of the oil was used ))) and light came back up as I pulled in my driveway. But thats all fixed now with oil catch can install and still gotta remove that ccv
Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #56
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
I'm really impressed with your build. Have you done any supporting mods? Or you just going to slap the turbo and pray everything go good?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #57
cwarel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
I'm really impressed with your build. Have you done any supporting mods? Or you just going to slap the turbo and pray everything go good?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Well if you can call oil catch can supported mod , i guess
Also i got the RS4 maf installed , got high performance coil packs that cost 800 bucks ( but i hate them cuz they kill spark plugs in 3 k miles )
And i think there are many other things ive dont I just wont remember the one upcoming is the valve cover gasket change , and fix vacuum leaks
because i got AFR install and when CCV was broken car was running very rich 10 AFR , once i put in oil catch can it went to 14,6- 15.5 and also gas mileage got hella lot better cuz i was getting 5 mph for sure , i filled up my tank everyday for 3 days FULL 16 gallons and driven less then 100 miles))\
And about slapping a turbo , mhm yeah))) i hope everything will be alright , but if engines blows up , i got 2 more in the backyard and one of them just gonna get build ( pistons , rods , head port (polish) , headgasket , valve seals , possibly new valve train so i can rev higher ) but thats a lot of money im talking about and that's not happening for a while)))

Last edited by cwarel; 12-13-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #58
cwarel

Some more updates
Last pieces were ordered whats left to do is make a motor mount (or buy it ) and figure out my exhaust setup , i think i will make a Y pipe and plumb into original exhaust , because that seems the easiest way to do it and the cheapest ( eventually whole exhaust will be converted to 2.5 or 3 inch pipe)

I also decided to fix all vacuum leaks ( or potential boost leaks ) , I fixed big vacuum leak by bypassing CCV and placing oil catch can - this will be included in the overall turbo project price
Ordered New DISA kit for 76 bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/161942389838...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT , that comes with aluminum flapper and eliminates PIN that comes out and destroys ur engine ( also I know disa had a leak so new seal comes with the kit ) This wont be included in the price of turbo "kit" because its not necessary to do
Ordered new intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket ( because I will take out manifold to completely get rid of CCV )
Vacuum hoses assortment was ordered to replace all old vacuum hoses that im sure are leaking ( notcied cracks on upper boot hose , SAP (even thought i dont have it )
In the back of the manifold you can see some nipples that have caps on them , the vacuum hose will go there with a clamp and i will bring it outside in case i need extra vacuum hoses ( for example blow off valve , fuel pressure regulator)
Also ordered new valve cover gasket because the one that on the car is completely cracked and i fixed it with rtv so i can drive the car but never had time to replace it .
High performance coil pack are going out because they killing my spark plugs so fast you cant believe (2 weeks and they are done) , will be replaced with OEM coil packs
HHO ( hydrogen generation system) will be installed ( for testing purposes on NA for now ) which should give me a lot more gas mileage and HP ( probably wont be used when car is under boost , because HHO has tendency to blow up under pressure , but i dont think 10 psi will make it blow up)
New pulleys overall because they all apparently started squeaking ( i took one out and I couldnt turn it by hand )
New Oil Pan gasket will be ordered when im ready to go turbo

Meanwhile manifold will be out , i will try to run oil supply line and cap it off so i dont have to remove( oil housing or manifold again just to do that ) double banjo bolt needed for that 14x1.5 mm size ( didnt check yet but im pretty sure)
So all of this goodies ran me about another 150$ ( but I will not count this because for some people this wont be needed , Once im done with project I will post everything you need to turbo on that cheap ass budget under 1 grand
Oh and sitll trying to figure out should I got 3 inch intercooler pipes or 2,5
Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #59
meister46

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
would love to see this succeed, good luck buddy
meister46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #60
cwarel

So its snowing outside and I still cant find a shop that willing to do work on my car and im cleaning my garage out , so i guess project MAYBE gonna get moved untill warmer weather
Meanwhile it snowed in NYC and I couldnt resist , there is more videos gonna come out on this channel