E46 Fanatics Leak/Issue/Performance/Buyer Starter Guide - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #21
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
I would add:
1. DIY everything: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799196
2. Getting up in the driveshaft - want crisper driving? Do all this at the same time (yeah, you will suffer, but the exhaust bolts are solvable)
- Replace your flex disk http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_guibo.htm
- Refresh your shifter http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rt+shifter+diy
- Replace CSB - ?
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #22
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
I would add:
1. DIY everything: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=799196
2. Getting up in the driveshaft - want crisper driving? Do all this at the same time (yeah, you will suffer, but the exhaust bolts are solvable)
- Replace your flex disk http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_guibo.htm
- Refresh your shifter http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rt+shifter+diy
- Replace CSB - ?
Thanks Archbid, bookmarked the DIY everything. Brilliant!

Last edited by Overboost; 12-13-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #23
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Archbid, I added all your links. It would be nice if there was a CSB and Guibo thread combined since they are usually replaced hand in hand
Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #24
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
As I was researching some interior mirror upgrades, this link kept coming up as very good by our members but it no longer valid. Maybe someone has this pdf saved somewhere or knows if the link can be modified.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #25
Archbid

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...)-doityourself
Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Good info! much appreciated.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #27
YoitsTmac

All up to date!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
Great post. I like the new thread name, can't remember what the old one was heh.

It's interesting to see the 2016 data on page views and thread replies, and also the wealth of knowledge that stills comes out continually from top members (lingon, BaliDawg (you helped me out with some info in LA when I was a dumb noob with a P0174 lol!), BMW-North, jfoj, MANGO, and some others I'm forgetting~). Goes to prove the E46 is a timeless, interesting, not-perfect, unique, leaky-son-of-a-bitch, beautiful and powerful automobile.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #29
cwithbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Archbid, I added all your links. It would be nice if there was a CSB and Guibo thread combined since they are usually replaced hand in hand
I will be doing this in early January and will take full step pictures and do a DIY.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #30
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
Great post. I like the new thread name, can't remember what the old one was heh.

It's interesting to see the 2016 data on page views and thread replies, and also the wealth of knowledge that stills comes out continually from top members (lingon, BaliDawg (you helped me out with some info in LA when I was a dumb noob with a P0174 lol!), BMW-North, jfoj, MANGO, and some others I'm forgetting~). Goes to prove the E46 is a timeless, interesting, not-perfect, unique, leaky-son-of-a-bitch, beautiful and powerful automobile.
Agreed. We are immensely lucky to have such a kind and giving community. I have gotten so much from others to get me to where I am, and this thread is me giving back. I am also filling in some of the blanks that I struggled with myself. Make sure to tell me when you get that DIY written up, it can be here!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #31
cwithbmw

Definitely!

I also just realized, I could do a simple DIY guide on E46/36/39 OBDII USB connectivity. The USB thread is legendary, but I think people need to understand that to get your virtual machine BMW computer to look like an actual 100% BMW-certified shop computer (GT1, WinKFP, SSS, Progman, NCSexpert) in almost all aspects, you need to purchase from this one Romanian seller who has his own licensing process to crack almost all available software. Not sure if that is shady, but it has been talked about at length in the OBD USB thread.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #32
YoitsTmac

I honestly know nothing about it. If you can write a good guide on those, then go for it! I need to learn NCSexpert to reset my ZKE since it is freaking out.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #33
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
I gave you a shout out on my Facebook page Tmac! https://www.facebook.com/e46mango/
Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #34
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I gave you a shout out on my Facebook page Tmac! https://www.facebook.com/e46mango/

Thank you! I'm glad you like it

It'll grow as I learn more! (And as people inform me of things to add)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #35
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
I looked over the list again, and I think something more should be added for the cooling system. A bolded heading specifically for cooling system problems that mentions the fact that the expansion tanks all go bad and start leaking, and the issues with the replacement Wahler thermostats leaking from the electrical connection.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #36
YoitsTmac

lingon300k sent you a PM
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #37
Jennya

My Ride: 2000 323i
I need some help if possible!! I have a 2000 BMW 323i . I have changed several things in it from alternator ,spark plugs, cam shaft sensor to thermostats. My car has been leaking power steering since I bought it and need to fix it. However! My car has been randomly getting the transmission sensor light come on while driving and then lags when I try to accelerate. I here no noise nothing. I have to then turn it off and back on and it's fine. It recently started doing it in the morning. What it will do it lag when I try to move and when I get it to move I notice a big leak towards the front . When I check power steering I notice it's not completely empty so it can't be that. When i took a picture of what the leak looks like? If anyone has any info on this please let me know!!
Jennya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #38
Archbid

Jennya, start a new thread so your question doesn't get missed
Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #39
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_autobahn View Post
all this stuff is in the sticky section already...
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tks View Post
Seriously.. Why? dumb thread is dumb.. Op probably made this thread because he thinks all his maintenance and repairs are up to date. There's already a thread on this, but wait I wanna be special and make the same thread again blah blah
Yep. I see nothing new that hasn't been posted on the forum for many years already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post

Ask small/dumb/quick questions here. Please. PLEASE. for the love of god, don't make the 9 millionth thread saying you want to know how to make your 323 faster..
New Members absolutely DO NOT post in a non specific multi-topic thread. This is exactly what NOT TO DO.
Do a quick Search. It will give results and if you have to bump a thread to get your answer it will bring new info and overall learning to the Forum with new updated info that may be known and shared. It also puts the topic in an easy format to be found in future Searches. We long time members have been helping new people out for a long time. It is strongly understood this is the best and most effective way for all. Having a new to the forum person come in and advise differently was a mistake. They may have good intentions but it just does not benefit the forum. Besides, they're just doing a "Search" anyhow if it does get answered.

**The HOW TO SEARCH thread use to be Sticked. Please look it over as it's the best resource on the entire forum.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523290

If this poster of this thread wants to have you private message them with your "small/quick/dumb question", more power to you both. But please don't bump that thread with a legit question, sorry it does not serve the forum.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #40
YoitsTmac

E46 Fanatics Leak/Issue/Performance/Buyer Starter Guide

I know you greatly dislike this thread and even moreso dislike my random question thread. But let me say something.
-the previous thread was beginning to become outdated and many threads were without photos. Even worse, some were photo DIY's with all broken links. That thread is now unstickied and this one is. If you feel something is missing, leave it down here and I will update the original. I'm trying to work with members, not against.
-here's the hard truth: most new members don't search. At all. The answer has been on the first google result for some people's question, but people still insist on leaving a thread. This couldn't be more evident in the past couple weeks. Surely you could agree the "what's the part number for ____" would have been better off in the small question thread rather than its own. It's a simple question that gets answered, and then everyone moved on. Thats why I made that thread: it's meant for people to ask the questions that have already been asked, not "legit questions."
- if you feel the how to search thread should be stickied, then put it in the "forum suggestions" topics and suggest that, which is what I did to get this thread stickied. I agree that if people searched, there would barely be a need for my small/dumb question thread.

Alex. I don't know if you dislike me or my thread ideas. I get I knew nothing when I entered. I'm simply trying to make the community a better place for everyone - by having a one stop place for all projects (yes needs updating, but I don't know what people are looking for) and a one stop place for the quick questions that don't add any value by having their own thread. In my head, these would decrease the amount of "repetitive" threads. In my opinion, back when the small q thread was always bumped, it was somewhat affective. If you have a better method, and you want to say "please search" to 80% of new threads, then go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-22-2017 at 03:49 AM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote