E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #21
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
I thought khumos and hankook are dirt cheap.
Conti are like twice as much

Last edited by OnTheFence; 12-16-2016 at 10:18 PM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #22
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I thought khumos and hankook are dirt cheap.
Conti are like twice as much
They weren't too expensive but they were 15's IIRC. I think these http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...1+91t+bsw.html

Last edited by jmo69; 12-16-2016 at 10:27 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #23
OnTheFence

When I was shopping for 4 new tires, there were the prices at TireRack
Ventus $332/set
Kumho $338/set
Conti DWS A/S $533/set
BFGood is $474
Dunlop $441

With the overhead cost of Shipping and $200 for Road Force Balancing
it comes down to $775 vs $575 cheapest to most expensive.

I decided it was worth spending an extra $200 for the best tires out there. Conti.
It's the best rated one. Plus, I should get some extra tread life to offset that $200.

Last edited by OnTheFence; 12-16-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #24
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Glad I don't live where you do, I paid $68 mounted and balanced. I know the OP doesn't want to buy on line but these are the tires I put on my xi sedan for three seasons. Took them off before the first snow fell. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

Last edited by jmo69; 12-16-2016 at 11:56 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:51 AM   #25
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
When I was shopping for 4 new tires, there were the prices at TireRack
Ventus $332/set
Kumho $338/set
Conti DWS A/S $533/set
BFGood is $474
Dunlop $441

With the overhead cost of Shipping and $200 for Road Force Balancing
it comes down to $775 vs $575 cheapest to most expensive.

I decided it was worth spending an extra $200 for the best tires out there. Conti.
It's the best rated one. Plus, I should get some extra tread life to offset that $200.
You only need to road force balance if there's an issue after a regular balance.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
I have always had good luck with Bridgestone Potenza's. Cheaper then the Michelin's and almost as good IMO. I have also gotten a lot of tire life out of them. My Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions lasted me almost 4 years before I had to replace them. I'm not sure about Texas but here in CT there is a TireRack warehouse that you can pickup at and inspect the tires before you take them. If you don't want them they will handle all the shipping/return for you. I have only just picked up but you may even be able to purchase right out of the warehouse.

*EDIT* Just did a search and looks like pick-up wouldn't be an option for Texas unless you're willing to Drive to Shreveport, LA.

Last edited by Travis424; 12-17-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Travis424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #27
OnTheFence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You only need to road force balance if there's an issue after a regular balance.
Thanks. One of my wheels was bent. I took it to a race shop where he only does RF balance. I didn't want to screw around with a retail chain in case they could not fix my wheel. I sent all 4 new tires to the shop, and the guys said all 4 of my wheels were bent. He straightened all 4 and mounted with RF balance. The highway shake is gone. Whether it was the new tires, the wheel fixing, or both, we'll never know. But, now that I've seen several examples where tire shops don't really balance correctly, I will only ever mount sport tires for sporty cars at a RF shop.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #28
WDE46

Quote:
Thanks. One of my wheels was bent. I took it to a race shop where he only does RF balance. I didn't want to screw around with a retail chain in case they could not fix my wheel. I sent all 4 new tires to the shop, and the guys said all 4 of my wheels were bent. He straightened all 4 and mounted with RF balance. The highway shake is gone. Whether it was the new tires, the wheel fixing, or both, we'll never know. But, now that I've seen several examples where tire shops don't really balance correctly, I will only ever mount sport tires for sporty cars at a RF shop.

The our situation was exactly right for RF. I've been considering it due to some minor vibration.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #29
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
if you really want an allseason(including NY snow...) i would put faith in continental DWS extreme contacts. but i see your moving to texas. So mostly dry summer heat, lots of highway.
Sumitomo HRZ 3 are good, hankook v12 is what lots of my friends run, or if youre cheap get some nankangs or Nexens
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #30
Yankeebmwgirl

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325xiT
Send a message via ICQ to Yankeebmwgirl
I will be buying a set of tires before leaving here. Want a good set of aquatred style. I will check out the brands everyone has mentioned and get something with a decent rating and mile warranty. I will be driving a lot for work when I get to texas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Yankeebmwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #31
asianisafish

How many miles are a year do you put? My dad does about 25k a year and im around 15k a year(about to go up) I can ask reccomendations from him
Old 12-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #32
Yankeebmwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianisafish View Post
How many miles are a year do you put? My dad does about 25k a year and im around 15k a year(about to go up) I can ask reccomendations from him
Probly down in Texas I will be driving at least 3 hrs a day. Maybe 100 miles plus. I do merchandising and travel for my job. Down there I will be covering more area hopefully. I'd say around 50k a year at least

Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #33
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebmwgirl View Post
I will be buying a set of tires before leaving here. Want a good set of aquatred style. I will check out the brands everyone has mentioned and get something with a decent rating and mile warranty. I will be driving a lot for work when I get to texas

Quote:
Probly down in Texas I will be driving at least 3 hrs a day. Maybe 100 miles plus. I do merchandising and travel for my job. Down there I will be covering more area hopefully. I'd say around 50k a year at least

With that kind of mileage, cross everything else off the list and go with the Michelin Defender. They're not "sporty" tires, but they're really great in the rain, not too bad in the snow, and have the highest tread rating/warranty in the industry. I have them on my other car, and have been extremely happy with them.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #34
OnTheFence

Blasted out of a snowed in parking spot with the new Conti DWS and there was zero slippage.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #35
OnTheFence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The our situation was exactly right for RF. I've been considering it due to some minor vibration.
I replaced my FCAB and it helped, but the vibration was still there, at speed.

Your wheels probably are out of balance. But, a bent wheel can't always be balanced, it needs to be fixed by hand. Find a GOOD wheel shop, not a cheap ass one that will shave your wheel to eliminate runout.

This was a case where I needed personalized service since I didn't know if I was going to use my spare or not, instead of fixing the wheel, or if more than one wheel was bent. I sent everything to the race shop, all 5 wheels, 4 new tires, and told him to fix everything right. Car drives perfectly smooth now.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #36
WDE46

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by aquatred style. I feel like you've been taking tire advice from a non car person. You should read up and learn the basics so for the rest of your life you can make your own decision.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #37
asianisafish

since your moving to Texas and you are estimating 50k miles a year....I would change my suggestion now and just run cheaper tires. Since youre doing lots of highway miles Ill assume that it's mostly long straight drives on the highway and in texas, snow and rain aren't a big issue to you, so any cheap brand tire will be fine if they last long enough or multiple sets within a year
Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #38
Yankeebmwgirl

Just picked up a set of used tires yesterday for my project car...looks like they are barely even run. We have a local higher model year scrap yard that sells tires off insurance wrecks. Good enough for me to start out with and drive to Texas on and saved about $500 from buying new tires. Set of 4 for $125. Total score...

Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #39
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
I replaced my FCAB and it helped, but the vibration was still there, at speed.

Your wheels probably are out of balance. But, a bent wheel can't always be balanced, it needs to be fixed by hand. Find a GOOD wheel shop, not a cheap ass one that will shave your wheel to eliminate runout.

This was a case where I needed personalized service since I didn't know if I was going to use my spare or not, instead of fixing the wheel, or if more than one wheel was bent. I sent everything to the race shop, all 5 wheels, 4 new tires, and told him to fix everything right. Car drives perfectly smooth now.
A bent wheel cannot be corrected by balancing, total myth/BS.

A wheel that does not roll round will cause a vibration, the only way to solve a vibration due to a bent wheel is have the wheel straightened or replaced.

There are some situations where the wheel is straight but there is stall a problem where the wheel "appears" to be bent or does not turn true. This can be caused by a problem with the hub centric wheel mounting on the hub, a bent or out of round hub or some other problem.

DO NOT fool yourself, I would guess that at least 25% of the alloy wheels on the road are BENT! Yes, there is a VERY good chance that at least every car has 1 BENT wheel. Now the bend may be minor and not cause a noticeable vibration problem, but if you look closely, I bet most cars have at least 1 BENT wheel that could cause a vibration.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 01-04-2017 at 08:05 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #40
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Just picked up a set of used tires yesterday for my project car...looks like they are barely even run. We have a local higher model year scrap yard that sells tires off insurance wrecks. Good enough for me to start out with and drive to Texas on and saved about $500 from buying new tires. Set of 4 for $125. Total score...

Glad to hear you are making progress and were able to find some reasonably priced tires.

Update us once you get the car back driving again.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote