E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #61
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I should have held onto my AP2, had low low miles. Oh well.
That's how I feel about my old Evo VIII. I sold it for 26k in 2006 with 30k miles, and could have likely sold it for the same amount now with triple the miles. That was the most fun car I've owned, I think.

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #62
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
lol, you must be in the 0.0001% that feels this way. You're blind if you don't think the E46 has aged well.
It looks old as fvck. Amber turn signals and blocky bumpers are so modern!

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Last edited by Zell; 03-10-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #63
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
damn! I didn't click on it.. so it is indeed! $40K for a fully built and painted 5.0 one is a good price...

P.S. if anyone wants to be jealous, Factory Five Racing is like 20 minutes from my house.
The one picture for sale is 5 min from my house.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #64
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
It looks old as fvck. Amber turn signals and blocky bumpers are so modern!

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
E46 sedans look awful these days, coupes still look alright. Too many kids and cholos tastelessly pimping them out now, though. Did you see ASStheros disaster
. Yikes!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #65
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
The front of the E46 hasn't really aged well at all IMO.
When i look at my e46 it's the rear that i sometimes think hasn't aged well while the front still looks great. It's 13yo but still an amazing car to drive.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #66
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
I still love the look of the facelifted e46 sedan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4933.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	651410  
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #67
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
And anyone considering a Wrangler might as well wait for the 2018 redesign. Probably will have some nice new goodies.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #68
MP0WER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
And anyone considering a Wrangler might as well wait for the 2018 redesign. Probably will have some nice new goodies.
Especially if you're over 6'3". The roll bars are going to be moved back to allow more head room for the exceptionally tall.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #69
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Speaking of the W220......went to check out my friend's S600 in Tampa a few weeks ago. That car is the tits, literally unlimited torque. Did a burnout for what seemed like a quarter mile. Still such a classy looking car too, massive road presence with the AMG styling.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #70
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I still love the look of the facelifted e46 sedan.
Is that a sarcastic post? I thought it was a jetta.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:46 AM   #71
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
Is that a sarcastic post? I thought it was a jetta.
Not at all. And that was my e46, what the **** makes it look like a Jetta.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #72
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
Not at all. And that was my e46, what the **** makes it look like a Jetta.
That's a turrible picture.

Did you remove the pic?

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 03-11-2017 at 01:29 AM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #73
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
I've wanted to get another S2K ever since I was forced to sell it back in 2010. The funny part is prices are the same or higher now (due to production halting) as they were in 2010.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #74
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
We need to chat. I REALLY want a W220 Benz...need to know how much I'm going to regret it if I do pull the trigger.
PM me anytime.

There's a pay-to-play element as with any German car, but short of a lemon, overall it isn't anything extreme.

Biggest predictable areas, repair wise, are going to be your cats failing (under extended MB warranty, stupid pricey outside of it) and the air suspension (frankly, some good aftermarket upgrades here).

The M113 V8 is a great engine, but there are a few quirks. You have upper valve covers that like to leak, although they are easy enough to get to. It uses 16 spark plugs, but plugs and boots are an "every 100K mile" item.

Electronics wise, it's really hit or miss. If I had to buy another one, I'd stick to the later years and avoid the 4Matic variants...something like an '05-'06 S500 RWD.

Finding one where the PO had the cats replaced and the suspension addressed will be an ideal starting point.

The 600s are nice, but if you want a V12, go a generation earlier. The M120 belongs on a list of top-10 engines in automotive history.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #75
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
How reliable would an AP1 with 180k and 7 previous owners be? asking for a friend

If it was never crashed, and the body is mint, buy it for like 7k, buy a crate motor/tranny and you're good to go.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #76
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
The new MX5 is nice (although I do like the look of a modified s2k better), just don't call it a miata

They are supposed to be awesome drivers car, too bad they got such a bad reputation here.

Honestly, once I left highschool/college, I stopped giving a fvck what people thought about my rides. I got them for me, and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. The MX5 is one of the best put a smile on your face cars on the planet. On MANY MANY public roads, it's as fast as anything, and usually more fun because you can drive it at 10/10ths without wrapping it around a tree. I've said it in other threads, but my s2000 because LESS fun at the dragon after I turboed it...yes the power is addicting, but it's much harder to control, so you have to back off so you don't crash. The new MX5 looks great (especially the coupe that's coming out) and is still a heap of fun, for not a lot of money. Yes on a regular road it's "slow" but unlike the 323 that everyone says "what about the twistiez"....the mx5 WILL put a hurting on vehicles 10 times the price if the road is curvy enough. Finally, to be honest, as an s2k owner, paying the premium for a used s2k (probably in the high teens for a clean one) vs low 20s for a vehicle 10 years newer (mx5) it would be a tough choice. One of the most fun vehicles I drove in the last year (and I drove quite a few, including a GT3, a turbo, a 458, a DBS, a maserati coupe, etc) was the Fiat abarth. It was like driving a stabbed rat, and you feel like a little kid having a ball. Unfortunately, it's hard to experience this on a test drive, because going around the block with 20mph traffic just showcases all the negatives of these vehicles.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #77
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I went through an S2000-crave phase about a month ago. I found one I really liked and almost bought it. But then I came to my senses and realized I didn't have any room for a fifth car.
Bernie Sanders is disappoint.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
If i were going to get a 2 seat weekend car it would be one of these.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...-florida-33559

**mic drop**

@boosted, i randomly clicked on one and it's located in Lutz. hahaha

One of my dreams is to build a kit Cobra from the ground up with my kids, and I WILL do it one day. However, I DO know that I am building something that is honestly almost undriveable.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #79
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Honestly, once I left highschool/college, I stopped giving a fvck what people thought about my rides. I got them for me, and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. The MX5 is one of the best put a smile on your face cars on the planet. On MANY MANY public roads, it's as fast as anything, and usually more fun because you can drive it at 10/10ths without wrapping it around a tree. I've said it in other threads, but my s2000 because LESS fun at the dragon after I turboed it...yes the power is addicting, but it's much harder to control, so you have to back off so you don't crash. The new MX5 looks great (especially the coupe that's coming out) and is still a heap of fun, for not a lot of money. Yes on a regular road it's "slow" but unlike the 323 that everyone says "what about the twistiez"....the mx5 WILL put a hurting on vehicles 10 times the price if the road is curvy enough. Finally, to be honest, as an s2k owner, paying the premium for a used s2k (probably in the high teens for a clean one) vs low 20s for a vehicle 10 years newer (mx5) it would be a tough choice. One of the most fun vehicles I drove in the last year (and I drove quite a few, including a GT3, a turbo, a 458, a DBS, a maserati coupe, etc) was the Fiat abarth. It was like driving a stabbed rat, and you feel like a little kid having a ball. Unfortunately, it's hard to experience this on a test drive, because going around the block with 20mph traffic just showcases all the negatives of these vehicles.
Look at my truck, do you think I give a **** about what people think about what I drive. My town is all Range Rovers and Porsches, I drive the smurf mobile and my wife drives a Hyundai we are outcasts around here, when I am ready to buy a toy the Miata may be at the top of the list.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #80
MP0WER

This stupid thread has me pouring over the differences between Superperformance, Factory Five and Backdraft Racing cobras and seriously considering picking one up. So far, this one is on top of the list.

Last edited by MP0WER; 03-12-2017 at 12:12 AM.