E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 AM   #81
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Honestly, once I left highschool/college, I stopped giving a fvck what people thought about my rides. I got them for me, and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. The MX5 is one of the best put a smile on your face cars on the planet. On MANY MANY public roads, it's as fast as anything, and usually more fun because you can drive it at 10/10ths without wrapping it around a tree. I've said it in other threads, but my s2000 because LESS fun at the dragon after I turboed it...yes the power is addicting, but it's much harder to control, so you have to back off so you don't crash. The new MX5 looks great (especially the coupe that's coming out) and is still a heap of fun, for not a lot of money. Yes on a regular road it's "slow" but unlike the 323 that everyone says "what about the twistiez"....the mx5 WILL put a hurting on vehicles 10 times the price if the road is curvy enough. Finally, to be honest, as an s2k owner, paying the premium for a used s2k (probably in the high teens for a clean one) vs low 20s for a vehicle 10 years newer (mx5) it would be a tough choice. One of the most fun vehicles I drove in the last year (and I drove quite a few, including a GT3, a turbo, a 458, a DBS, a maserati coupe, etc) was the Fiat abarth. It was like driving a stabbed rat, and you feel like a little kid having a ball. Unfortunately, it's hard to experience this on a test drive, because going around the block with 20mph traffic just showcases all the negatives of these vehicles.
It is ALWAYS more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The Miata might be seen as a little b1tch car but damn is it fun, ditto for the Abarth. I'd even peg the Abarth as being MORE fun just because of how pissed off it seems to be all the time, it's just a huge laugh. There's always a lot to be said about the sublime driving experience you get out of a Porsche or a M car but driving a Miata or Abarth at full tilt down a highway at legal speed will put a much bigger smile on your face a lot more often if you're able to get over the badge on the hood. And you won't be losing a sh1t ton of money at the same time. I've always seen the S2000 as the less girly version of the Miata and I think it still holds true. It has a lot of the fun quirks of the Miata with 100hp more and a high revving unique powerplant to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Look at my truck, do you think I give a **** about what people think about what I drive. My town is all Range Rovers and Porsches, I drive the smurf mobile and my wife drives a Hyundai we are outcasts around here, when I am ready to buy a toy the Miata may be at the top of the list.
Eh, the new Miata is fun but I still like the S2000 more. Partly because of the extra power you get but mostly because the new Miata just doesn't feel as raw. There's a lot of fun to be had but not as much drama and excitement doing it. It's a great car but there just isn't as much raw vibration, noise, and character that the old car had.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #82
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
This stupid forum has me looking at s2ks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
This stupid thread has me pouring over the differences between Superperformance, Factory Five and Backdraft Racing cobras and seriously considering picking one up. So far, this one is on top of the list.

From all the research I've done, the superperformance aluminum bodies are the best replicas you can get. The fiberglass ones are bleh.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-12-2017 at 01:13 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #83
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
It is ALWAYS more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The Miata might be seen as a little b1tch car but damn is it fun, ditto for the Abarth. I'd even peg the Abarth as being MORE fun just because of how pissed off it seems to be all the time, it's just a huge laugh. There's always a lot to be said about the sublime driving experience you get out of a Porsche or a M car but driving a Miata or Abarth at full tilt down a highway at legal speed will put a much bigger smile on your face a lot more often if you're able to get over the badge on the hood. And you won't be losing a sh1t ton of money at the same time. I've always seen the S2000 as the less girly version of the Miata and I think it still holds true. It has a lot of the fun quirks of the Miata with 100hp more and a high revving unique powerplant to boot.

Eh, the new Miata is fun but I still like the S2000 more. Partly because of the extra power you get but mostly because the new Miata just doesn't feel as raw. There's a lot of fun to be had but not as much drama and excitement doing it. It's a great car but there just isn't as much raw vibration, noise, and character that the old car had.

I haven't actually driven the current Miata. I agree with your sentiments of the old Miata vs the s2000.

Relevant video may be relevant.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #84
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK/Yamaha FZ1
Lol @ the first world problems in this thread.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using E46Fanatics mobile app
-Ross- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #85
NFRs2000nyc

Is there any other kind?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #86
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK/Yamaha FZ1
Nope.

It'd be a tough call if I was in the market. I still think I'd go with a used S2K over a new Miata.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using E46Fanatics mobile app
-Ross- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #87
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
My only gripe with the S2000 was that it felt like a civic until the VTEC (yo) kicked in. If you weren't revving the crap out of the car it was pretty slow.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #88
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
My only gripe with the S2000 was that it felt like a civic until the VTEC (yo) kicked in. If you weren't revving the crap out of the car it was pretty slow.
Honestly, it's most low power sports cars.....when beaten they are fun, when driven normally it feels like an econobox.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #89
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
The 124 Abarth might come with 180 hp for 2018. Anyone drive one before?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/fiat/20...-ar170506.html
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #90
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
If MX-5s came in a 200 hp trim, they'd be so much more popular. I really don't know why they never release a more powerful version. It's like a blind spot for them. Same thing happened with the BRZ/FRS.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #91
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
The 124 Abarth might come with 180 hp for 2018. Anyone drive one before?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/fiat/20...-ar170506.html
It's just SOOOOOOOO ugly...like horribly terrible.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #92
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it's most low power sports cars.....when beaten they are fun, when driven normally it feels like an econobox.
Unless you rev the **** out of it you will get that feeling. It only really felt fun when you are driving on the canyon roads.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #93
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
If MX-5s came in a 200 hp trim, they'd be so much more popular. I really don't know why they never release a more powerful version. It's like a blind spot for them. Same thing happened with the BRZ/FRS.
Agreed. I checked out an MX-5 several months back. Loved everything except for the 155 hp part, especially for an area where it's mostly highways and suburbia.

Quote:
It's just SOOOOOOOO ugly...like horribly terrible.
The '18 looks a little less boy-racer, which is nice, but in general I don't mind the look. For me it's not the best, but not horrible either.

Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #94
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
That's part of the charm though, you have to work hard to make it perform. It's almost intentionally not easy to drive fast so it makes it more of a challenge. Everything is there to make it go fast except the driver and because of that you have to better yourself to make it do what you want it to do. It's not like a modem car where you hit the sport button and you're on your way, it makes you work and if you over step the limits, it spins out.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #95
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
From all the research I've done, the superperformance aluminum bodies are the best replicas you can get. The fiberglass ones are bleh.
Yes, would agree, but for an already built purchase to keep as a toy for a limited time, Backdraft is looking like the ticket. Somewhat less expensive than the SP yet still top tier and slightly more cockpit room with the chassis being 3" longer.

Though as best as i can tell, SP also uses fiberglass bodies.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 03-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #96
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Yes, would agree, but for an already built purchase to keep as a toy for a limited time, Backdraft is looking like the ticket. Somewhat less expensive than the SP yet still top tier and slightly more cockpit room with the chassis being 3" longer.

Though as best as i can tell, SP also uses fiberglass bodies.
I will be very disappointed if they stopped making aluminum body cobras, and I will scrap my cobra idea and build up an original willys instead.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #97
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Considering just about every cobra i've seen rolling down the street and drooled over at a car show was clad in a fiberglass or FRP body, i'll get past it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #98
valiantnite

My Ride: Acura RSX Type-S
honestly there are better cars,

but honestly, every one of my friends who owns 911/m3/etc etc. all we talk about is my s2000....18k mikes on it, 2001.

"no 9k RPM, no care", mic drop.

Honda will never make any other car like it. it was a pet project for the F1 engineers when they left F1 in 99, and went back to it in 2006. its like picasso couldn't paint for 7 years, but was left with a pencil and chalk...
valiantnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #99
bayern_munchen

My Ride: E46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
General question for your S2K fanbois.

Is there more room in an S2k compared to a miata? because I drove a miata once, and i literally could not shift the goddamned thing because my knees had nowhere to go and would just bank the underside of the steering wheel. Obvs not made for taller people, but I always wondered if the S2K had more room.
I used to be a hardcore Honda fan, almost bought an EP1 about 4 years ago. I remember, the guy was asking 14k for it. Right now, the same car would probably be 22k. Anyhow, I am 6'3" and fit in it just fine..... I was able to shift, steer, my head didn't touch the roof either. The biggest issue for me was that, I felt as if I was wearing a motorcycle helmet. in other words, it almost felt as if, the windshield of the car was my helmet's visor.... if that makes sense.
bayern_munchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #100
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: S2000
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
General question for your S2K fanbois.

Is there more room in an S2k compared to a miata? because I drove a miata once, and i literally could not shift the goddamned thing because my knees had nowhere to go and would just bank the underside of the steering wheel. Obvs not made for taller people, but I always wondered if the S2K had more room.
I've owned both an AP1 S2K and an NB2 Miata 5MT. For someone who is 5'10" I fit fine in the S2K and so did my taller 6' friend. The Miata on the other hand has a smaller cabin and will make you feel claustrophobic. I vividly remember having a hard time with feeling comfortable in the Miata for long periods of time in traffic so I would vote against that if you plan to make it your daily driver in heavy traffic. Head room was not an issue with the S2K but again the Miata being smaller had my hair brushing up against the cloth top. As for shifting the S2K has a lot of leg room down there and it goes deep so that is why it works well even for taller people or just people with ridiculously long legs. You will be fine but ultimately you need to sit in one yourself and test drive it.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 03-13-2017 at 02:08 AM.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote