E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
DOB2009

My Ride: 325i
Differential leaking?

Hey guys I just noticed my Differential is leaking. I think it has been for awhile I've noticed puddles before and sometimes a little bit of smoke after driving through the front vents. I just started the car (2001 manual e46 325i)
I then looked under the car and saw it leaking really fast maybe 2-3 ounces in 10 seconds, so I turned it off.

I did change the fluid maybe 6 years ago, and I think I changed the bolt. I cannot remember if it was aftermarket or original, but it hasn't started leaking esp so bad until just recently.

My question is, do you guys think this is simply a loose bolt or maybe bad gasket on it? How common is that? I'm really hoping it's not the actual differential, but I don't understand it enough to know if this a common issue. If it isn't just the bolt I think I'm in trouble because I cannot afford a new one. I hope the bolt is a common problem. Please let me know what you guys think. thanks
DOB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
DOB2009

Also guys, I'm curious if I just replace it. Can I put an auto 3.46 Differential in a manual and still pass smog in CA? I have to smog as soon as it's running again. I'm finding conflicting info on this. Thanks again, I'm starting to think through more research maybe it's the gasget that needs to be replaced. If so too complicated of a DIY for me
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Did you jack up the rear of the car recently using the diff? I cracked a diff cover doing this a few years ago. Not a great day.

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 AM   #4
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB2009 View Post
Also guys, I'm curious if I just replace it. Can I put an auto 3.46 Differential in a manual and still pass smog in CA? I have to smog as soon as it's running again. I'm finding conflicting info on this. Thanks again, I'm starting to think through more research maybe it's the gasget that needs to be replaced. If so too complicated of a DIY for me

I upgraded my differential in San Francisco and has no issue with emissions. They do look at your drivetrain during the smog process but the differential looks absolutely identical.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
DOB2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Did you jack up the rear of the car recently using the diff? I cracked a diff cover doing this a few years ago. Not a great day.
No not recently. I still don't know if it's cracked or a seal is broken. I'm without a car now almost 5 weeks

Today I tried to drive it just to move the car to avoid a tow. I noticed it just has a little trickle of oil following me.

What do you guys suggest as the chepest solution to fix this, I'm on such a tight budget I don't know what to do. I was thinking of buying a used one on eBay or something and finding someone to do a straight swap for me.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
BMR parts is in California try them, at least you'll get a warranty. http://www.bmrparts.com/
Yours is the second leaky dif I've run across this week. A friends e36 is leaking with no visible cause. I drained it, swapped the sealing washer from the fill plug to the drain plug (didn't have new ones), put some teflon tape on the threads and some old Form a Gasket on the washer. It didn't leak while it was up in the air and I haven't heard if it leaked after he drove it. It wasn't leaking as bad as yours though. Putting an auto dif in will work but the higher gear ratio will give you better acceleration but lower fuel mileage due to higher rpms.

Last edited by jmo69; 05-19-2017 at 06:52 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB2009 View Post
No not recently. I still don't know if it's cracked or a seal is broken. I'm without a car now almost 5 weeks

Today I tried to drive it just to move the car to avoid a tow. I noticed it just has a little trickle of oil following me.

What do you guys suggest as the cheapest solution to fix this, I'm on such a tight budget I don't know what to do. I was thinking of buying a used one on eBay or something and finding someone to do a straight swap for me.
Well first you have to find out where it's leaking from. Jack it up and get under there. Clean the area thoroughly, spin the rear wheels by hand and see if you can determine if it's the fill plug or the drain plug or the gasket or something is cracked. Then you'll have a better idea of the scope of the job.

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S

Last edited by Spannerhead; 05-19-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote