E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #41
TIHZ TA3

My Ride: Elise SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The real talent isn't at NASA, Lockheed, or SpaceX, it's at Apple. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Lockheed and NASA do not pay very well. I'm not sure about SpaceX.

I did not say anything about apple.

It's very common for college students to think aerospace is the ultimate engineering segment, when in fact it will probably take you 10+ years in aerospace to reach the starting compensation of tech industry engineers.

Sorry for trying to be helpful, I should have given a trigger warning.

Aerospace is full of 50+ year olds who drive Camrys and hate their spouse. It's basically a life sentence to lower middle class.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #42
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
What is crazy about it?
They make the da Vinci robot. Google that.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #43
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Hampton Roads. Can't be any worse. I'm surrounded by young military guys and we all know how many of them conduct themselves. Not much of a private sector in my area because of all the government influence. I've been to Charlotte in the past and found it tolerable. The cost of living is better than my current area. What are these pockets you speak of?
NoDa is where all the music/beer/food is, it can get too hipster but that comes with the territory. Just stay away from 'the epicenter' and you'll be ok. I thought you were in Richmond and was going to tell you to stay there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Intuitive Surgical

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
Balls. All of their engineering positions are in CA.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-25-2017 at 07:29 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #44
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
What is crazy about it?
I dunno. It's just really cool to think about ultra precise motors, super sterile equipment, and almost perfect manufacturing tolerances in order to make robots that perform surgery on people.

Also, they show all their equipment being tested in front of big windows on the street, which is dope as fvck to see.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #45
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
Lockheed and NASA do not pay very well. I'm not sure about SpaceX.

I did not say anything about apple.

It's very common for college students to think aerospace is the ultimate engineering segment, when in fact it will probably take you 10+ years in aerospace to reach the starting compensation of tech industry engineers.

Sorry for trying to be helpful, I should have given a trigger warning.

Aerospace is full of 50+ year olds who drive Camrys and hate their spouse. It's basically a life sentence to lower middle class.
SpaceX definitely doesn't pay well. I got contacted by a recruiter for a position there in CA. I looked on glassdoor and I'd only be making 25% more at best and probably working 20 more hours per week in an area where rent is 4x what it is where I currently live. It'd be a huge drop in QOL.

Now, NASA I know pays decently. It's not high, but it's tiered and you know what you're going to get in the future basically. Makes life planning pretty simple from what I've been able to learn. The NASA engineers I know are all compensated well for their work. They don't seem to work crazy hours either. They are definitely some bright folks, but you also really have to be motivated by the mission more than anything. You don't work there to make a lot of money.

I don't think students look at aerospace as the ultimate engineering segment because they think it pays well. I think they're inspired by the work that's done. It's a lot of cutting edge stuff, but I'm sure once you're in it, it's just like any other big corporation that does a lot of engineering (AKA bureaucracy).

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-25-2017 at 08:32 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #46
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
I dunno. It's just really cool to think about ultra precise motors, super sterile equipment, and almost perfect manufacturing tolerances in order to make robots that perform surgery on people.

Also, they show all their equipment being tested in front of big windows on the street, which is dope as fvck to see.

Sent from my Pixel using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #47
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
They make the da Vinci robot. Google that.
I don't need to google them - I already know what they do.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #48
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:

Oh, I see. You meant crazy cool, not crazy insane. Got it.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #49
Zell

Quote:

Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #50
SamDoe1

Quote:

Fun story, for some procedures the robot actually causes more trauma than the normal procedure.

Either way, it's cool AF. It's also really hard to learn how to use it. I got to try to put stitches in a piece of meat as a demo, it was hard AF and I can do stitches by hand pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
SpaceX definitely doesn't pay well. I got contacted by a recruiter for a position there in CA. I looked on glassdoor and I'd only be making 25% more at best and probably working 20 more hours per week in an area where rent is 4x what it is where I currently live. It'd be a huge drop in QOL.

Now, NASA I know pays decently. It's not high, but it's tiered and you know what you're going to get in the future basically. Makes life planning pretty simple from what I've been able to learn. The NASA engineers I know are all compensated well for their work. They don't seem to work crazy hours either. They are definitely some bright folks, but you also really have to be motivated by the mission more than anything. You don't work there to make a lot of money.

I don't think students look at aerospace as the ultimate engineering segment because they think it pays well. I think they're inspired by the work that's done. It's a lot of cutting edge stuff, but I'm sure once you're in it, it's just like any other big corporation that does a lot of engineering (AKA bureaucracy).
There's no such thing as a company that pays well for a life in the bay area unless you're an executive or live way out of the city and spend half your life in traffic. I bet sh1t eater lives in some 4 bedroom box with 6 other dudes in order to afford the COL in the area.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Quote:
Then why the comment?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #51
WDE46

Quote:
There's no such thing as a company that pays well for a life in the bay area unless you're an executive or live way out of the city and spend half your life in traffic. I bet sh1t eater lives in some 4 bedroom box with 6 other dudes in order to afford the COL in the area.

Agree with the rest of your post.
I interviewed for a position at Apple recently and I was going to take it if I got it. The salary was enough to make up for the San Jose area cost for sure. So there are companies that can make up for the COL, but there aren't many.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #52
SamDoe1

Quote:
I interviewed for a position at Apple recently and I was going to take it if I got it. The salary was enough to make up for the San Jose area cost for sure. So there are companies that can make up for the COL, but there aren't many.
How long would you spend in traffic every day? I'm sure the COL in a city that big varies quite a lot.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #53
WDE46

Quote:
How long would you spend in traffic every day? I'm sure the COL in a city that big varies quite a lot.
I looked a lot to determine if it was worth accepting in the event I got an offer. It wouldn't have been bad. Getting to Cupertino seemed pretty straight forward if I lived in northern San Jose or near San Jose State Uni. The cost wasn't that bad over there. Maybe 30 minutes in traffic at worst. That's what Google maps suggested from the various apts and houses I looked at at 730 am and 5pm (worst times). I likely would be staying later than 5 though so OTW home would be easy.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #54
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Quote:
Yeah but did they give you a smug package to pay for having to deal with Apple employees?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #55
WDE46

Quote:
Yeah but did they give you a smug package to pay for having to deal with Apple employees?
If I'm honest, a couple of the people I met seemed fairly arrogant. They kind of made it seem like I'd be doing something incredibly difficult. The job was in line with what I've already been doing in the auto industry. I looked at their past experience. They were highly educated and had interesting experience in R&D usually, but not much background in PM and high volume manufacturing. So to them, the job must've been totally new. For me, the only new thing would be the size of Apple and the larger volumes that Apple ships. The concept of the job was quite simple.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #56
SamDoe1

Quote:
If I'm honest, a couple of the people I met seemed fairly arrogant. They kind of made it seem like I'd be doing something incredibly difficult. The job was in line with what I've already been doing in the auto industry. I looked at their past experience. They were highly educated and had interesting experience in R&D usually, but not much background in PM and high volume manufacturing. So to them, the job must've been totally new. For me, the only new thing would be the size of Apple and the larger volumes that Apple ships. The concept of the job was quite simple.
I believe that sh1t eater is the embodiment of this description. I'm not sure I'd take a job out there. The lifestyle just doesn't jive with what I want.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #57
Zell

Quote:
If I'm honest, a couple of the people I met seemed fairly arrogant. They kind of made it seem like I'd be doing something incredibly difficult.
That's what my Google interview felt like. If, at any point, you didn't say something in plain English, they'd ask you to precisely explain what it means. He had permanent poker face.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #58
WDE46

Engineering school

Quote:
That's what my Google interview felt like. If, at any point, you didn't say something in plain English, they'd ask you to precisely explain what it means. He had permanent poker face.

My interviews were fairly casual which I liked. I just didn't like the attitude I detected on a couple of the people I spoke to. The manager seemed pretty cool. I wasn't going to let just a couple people turn me off completely. I know how to deal with all sorts of people so they wouldn't be a problem day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by WDE46; 04-25-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #59
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

Quote:
Quote:

I know a guy that got up and walked out of an interview at Boeing because of their attitude. He said the interview was going well and then the hiring manager asked if he wanted to take the job. He told them he had a couple other offers and wanted to wait a few days before making a decision when the recruiter responded with "But we're Boeing" He said he stood up, walked out, and told them to withdraw his application.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #60
WDE46

Quote:
I know a guy that got up and walked out of an interview at Boeing because of their attitude. He said the interview was going well and then the hiring manager asked if he wanted to take the job. He told them he had a couple other offers and wanted to wait a few days before making a decision when the recruiter responded with "But we're Boeing" He said he stood up, walked out, and told them to withdraw his application.

Bit of an overreaction haha

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app