E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: RAV4 or CR-V or Cherokee?
2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid 4 12.50%
2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD 1.5L 11 34.38%
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk L-Plus V6 6 18.75%
Go fvck yourself 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
RAV4 or CRV or Cherokee?

So, will be buying my mom one of these mini-SUVs in the next 30 days.

Haven't checked out any of these in person, except renting the Jeep for a long weekend last year and loved the peppy V6.

Planning to visit the 3 dealerships this week to get a feel for which is the most comfortable and whether the more fuel efficient jappos still have decent overtaking power on the highway.

Specs I'm looking at are as follows:

2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid, MSRP: $34,030
- 2.5L 4-cyl.
- Ext. color: Blizzard Pearl - $395
- Int. color: Cinnamon "soft-tex" (not leather I'm guessing)
- Technology package - $1,525
TOTAL: $35,950 + tax

[img]

Comments: Mom already test drove the above but said the seats weren't that comfortable. I haven't tried it myself but I expect her assessment to be correct. I've also seen some "Platinum" trims on dealer websites although it's not official from the Toyota corporate website...curious to see what those are, but I'm sure they're not available in the Hybrid format. Also, we don't necessarily need to pursue the Hybrid, but mom cares about her gas bill and the environment.

2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD, MSRP: $32,395
- 1.5L turbo 4-cyl - $1,300
- Ext. color: White diamond pearl
- Int. color: Ivory leather
- Back-up sensors: $528
TOTAL: $34,223 + tax

[img]

Comments: Haven't seen it in person yet, but not too partial to the CRV's look. Looks overinflated to me. I expect it to be very comfortable though.

2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Leather Plus, MSRP: $35,195
- 3.2L V6: $1,745
- Ext. color: Bright white
- Int. color: Brown leather
- Safety Tec: $1,155
- Technology $1,645
- 17" black wheels: $655
- Dual sunroof: $1,755
TOTAL: $42,150 + tax

Comments: There is a clear deviation from my Mom's preferences on this car...this option is equipped more according to my tastes. The V6 is clearly not the most fuel efficient engine, but based on my experience, it was a treat to drive and I know my Mom would enjoy it, too. Also, there are $4,500 in cash incentives so the net price before tax is actually $37,650 and I think for the ~$2-3k more you are getting A WHOLE lot more car, and I haven't sat in the leather seats yet but I expect it to be a lot more comfy than the RAV4 option, but not sure about the CR-V.

I'm expecting the car guys on here to go with the Jeep hands down, but thought I'd see if some have differing opinions.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
the Cherokee is pretty damn ugly with a Beavis-like front. The CRV looks the best and will be a good soldier for her. Have you looked at the Mazda CX 3-5? pretty damn nice.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
the Cherokee is pretty damn ugly with a Beavis-like front. The CRV looks the best and will be a good soldier for her. Have you looked at the Mazda CX 3-5? pretty damn nice.
This!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Def CRV out of the choices available. It looks way better than the other 2.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
cherokee is beyond ugly. I'm not a fan of the new CR-v rear end, looks like a minivan. I like the new RAV4, plus it's hybrid.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 05-04-2017 at 01:04 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
I went through this same thing 2 years ago and bought one of the ones on this list. Here are my thoughts, and it drastically depends on what you want to do with the car which you haven't communicated.

RAV4: This model is newer and redesigned from what I drove but when I did drive it, it was total garbage. The interior is dogshit, the materials are similar to an early 90's Chrysler van, the panel gaps can fit an oil tanker through them, engine is weak, and overall just terrible. The ride is fine, fuel economy is fine, space is fine, comfort is fine but at the end of the day, all of those are simply par for the course. Because it's the same price as the CRV, I wouldn't buy one simply because the CRV exists. Also, you need to start smelling your own smug if you buy the hybrid.

CRV: Everything that is wrong with the RAV4 is right with the CRV and the new turbo motor makes it even better (also, you can tune for more power ). The interior is actually quite good and attractive while still being comfy and economical. I think this thing is geniunely good at this point and IDGAF that it looks like a van. Basically EVERYTHING in the crossover segment looks like a slightly lifted van because that's what they all are anyway. Based on the fact that this is for your mom, I'd buy the CRV but read below anyway.

Cherokee: Out of the three, this is what I actually bought but not because it's economical or more spacious (it's neither of those things) but because of the adventure I can and have gotten out of it. I actually do take mine off road, it's not just an image thing. I think that, ONLY in Trailhawk trim though, it actually looks quite good and is enormously capable off road for what it is. That said, it's quite a lot more thirsty in the city (I average 19mpg city winter and 22mpg city summer though I can get 29mpg highway no problem), much smaller cargo area (because they raised the floor of the cargo area to shove all the mechanical bits you don't want hitting rocks up in there also full size spare), not as good of a ride (knobby tires), not as easy to get in and out of (much higher ride height), etc... As a daily driver, both of the others are better but the Jeep DEFINITELY has the best interior quality and feature set than the others. It also has the most powerful engine, though needed to lug this thing around since it's heavy AF, most torque, most towing capacity (another selling point for us), most ability to pull others out of snow banks, etc. Please god don't get the brown interior though. Everything on the interior is brown with that option, not just the seats. It looks like someone had violent diarrhea all over the interior. The black is much better and looks better with the red stitching too.

tl;dr: If you're not going to ever take this actually off road (more than the occasional gravel path), buy the CRV. If you plan on going off road, well, you didn't really need to make this thread then did you?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Getting ready to pick up one of these well as a DD
Old 05-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
This!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
cherokee is beyond ugly. I'm not a fan of the new CR-v rear end, looks like a minivan. I like the new RAV4, plus it's hybrid.
The Cherokee isn't going to win any beauty awards but find me another crossover that can run Imogene Pass in stock form without any issues for around $40k and I'll trade mine in tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
fayraree
flock killer

Lol thanks, Sam! The key priorities for mom (and why I'm not getting an Accord or Camry) is because she has slight joint pain in her knees so she likes the raised seating positions in these crossovers, plus she needs something she can drive confidently through the deeper snows in Toronto (there were maybe 7-8 days where the 4Runner she's currently borrowing from me made her feel like a champ). I'm guessing the AWD capabilities of the CR-V are sufficient for that application, although I'm sure the Trailhawk could run circles around her. I just don't want her to be sliding all over the place when she's on the inclined offramp from the highway, making a sharp turn onto the often iced or heavily-snowed on street to get home. She lost control on that spot about 9 years ago and curbed her Jetta TDI which she loved--airbags deployed and car was written off. Ever since then she's been craving an SUV so hopefully the CR-V is enough, but that's my main reason to consider the Jeep.

Edit: just saw the new CR-V Touring on the street and it's absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by fayraree; 05-04-2017 at 01:57 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
boostedisbetter

Oh shi... I forgot the CR-v is boosted.... Boosted is better. Get the CR-v
Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Just get an S2000. It has 4x4 capability.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Lol thanks, Sam! The key priorities for mom (and why I'm not getting an Accord or Camry) is because she has slight joint pain in her knees so she likes the raised seating positions in these crossovers, plus she needs something she can drive confidently through the deeper snows in Toronto (there were maybe 7-8 days where the 4Runner she's currently borrowing from me made her feel like a champ). I'm guessing the AWD capabilities of the CR-V are sufficient for that application, although I'm sure the Trailhawk could run circles around her. I just don't want her to be sliding all over the place when she's on the inclined offramp from the highway, making a sharp turn onto the often iced or heavily-snowed on street to get home. She lost control on that spot about 9 years ago and curbed her Jetta TDI which she loved--airbags deployed and car was written off. Ever since then she's been craving an SUV so hopefully the CR-V is enough, but that's my main reason to consider the Jeep.

Edit: just saw the new CR-V Touring on the street and it's absolutely beautiful!
TBH, I'd put snow tires on the CRV and be done with it. The stock Firestone Destination tires on the Jeep aren't that good in snow anyway. They are more made for rocks/mud than snow and slide a lot more than the blizzaks on my wife's Accord. Though it's more than capable of blasting through snow banks like a boss.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
My cousin lives in Montreal and i believe winter/snow tires are mandatory, SUV or not. I imagine Toronto would be similar.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
fayraree
flock killer

Agreed, snow tires are a must...she actually didn't have those on the Jetta back in the day, but snow tires on her Civic haven't really helped. Snow tires on the CRV should probably do an excellent job with the AWD in terms of stability. I think this decision is coming along nicely.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
And... And... the CRV had sub 7 minute lap times on the Nurburgring.

Sent from my Pixel using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
My mom drives a Rav4, it's pretty nice. I'd avoid all honda products until they get rid of the "accident waiting to happen" touch screen fiasco. The Jeep looks like doo doo from the front.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
the "accident waiting to happen" touch screen fiasco.
wait wut? What did I miss?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #18
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
wait wut? What did I miss?
The honda nav is full on touch screen with tiny little areas to interact with (volume, input, etc.). It completely takes your eyes off the road, and I've hate to have to trust a parent with it.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The honda nav is full on touch screen with tiny little areas to interact with (volume, input, etc.). It completely takes your eyes off the road, and I've hate to have to trust a parent with it.

The new one actually has a volume knob. Also, no one uses those buttons on the regular. They use the steering wheel controls.

The worst offenders though are the Accord and Acura models with the stupid dual screen set up.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Not only is the Jeep ugly, OTD will be $40K and two years from now you will be looking to dump it at $18K, asked me how I know.