E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: RAV4 or CR-V or Cherokee?
2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid 4 12.50%
2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD 1.5L 11 34.38%
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk L-Plus V6 6 18.75%
Go fvck yourself 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
silenze

My Ride: 2003 325CI
Jeep has a new compass that looks like a baby grand Cherokee. Almost the same interior dimensions as the regular Cherokee
silenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #22
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
We just got my mom the Renegade Limited loaded to the gills, she loved it, it was between that and the countryman....which was 12K more. The CRV is a phenomenal vehicle if you are ok with the 1.5L, but your mom will most likely find it plenty peppy. It will be more reliable than all of the others for sure. Interior trim is fantastic, seats feel like a 70K car, and the vehicle is brilliantly designed, which is why it has so much space inside (and the exterior is a result in part, function over form.) The Cherokee has the nicest trim of them all, is the most capable as well, but costs more. The RAV4 kind of sucks on everything in comparison, it's ugly, interior still looks bleh, etc. IF you can score a solid deal on the touring CRV, go give it a test drive. IT's a really nice vehicle. If you do go Jeep, I definitely wouldn't get a TrailHawk for your mom, the limited is where you want to be.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Lol thanks, Sam! The key priorities for mom (and why I'm not getting an Accord or Camry) is because she has slight joint pain in her knees so she likes the raised seating positions in these crossovers, plus she needs something she can drive confidently through the deeper snows in Toronto (there were maybe 7-8 days where the 4Runner she's currently borrowing from me made her feel like a champ). I'm guessing the AWD capabilities of the CR-V are sufficient for that application, although I'm sure the Trailhawk could run circles around her. I just don't want her to be sliding all over the place when she's on the inclined offramp from the highway, making a sharp turn onto the often iced or heavily-snowed on street to get home. She lost control on that spot about 9 years ago and curbed her Jetta TDI which she loved--airbags deployed and car was written off. Ever since then she's been craving an SUV so hopefully the CR-V is enough, but that's my main reason to consider the Jeep.

Edit: just saw the new CR-V Touring on the street and it's absolutely beautiful!
CRV with snow tires is unstoppable. I've driven our old one through a lot of blizzards...it's the tires that matter honestly. Obviously the jeep on good snows will have zero issues as well. I will be shocked if the OP checks out all these cars, and ends up with the RAV4.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #24
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
My cousin lives in Montreal and i believe winter/snow tires are mandatory, SUV or not. I imagine Toronto would be similar.
I don't remember, is it a Canada thing, or a province of Quebec thing. I have a good friend in Laval (outside montreal) and indeed they mandate snowflake rated tires for their citizens, but if memory serves I think she said it was quebec province that did that, not Canada, but I could be mistaken. Oddly enough, they don't enforce that for visiting vehicles.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
My mom drives a Rav4, it's pretty nice. I'd avoid all honda products until they get rid of the "accident waiting to happen" touch screen fiasco. The Jeep looks like doo doo from the front.
Say wut? You mean the volume knob fiasco?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The honda nav is full on touch screen with tiny little areas to interact with (volume, input, etc.). It completely takes your eyes off the road, and I've hate to have to trust a parent with it.

They actually listened, all the new Hondas have volume knobs!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #27
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The new one actually has a volume knob. Also, no one uses those buttons on the regular. They use the steering wheel controls.

The worst offenders though are the Accord and Acura models with the stupid dual screen set up.
My wife's RDX has the dual screen, I have the navi map on the top and the functions on the bottom. It's actually pretty intuitive once you set it up allowing you to have all the relevant info without having to cycle screens. I still think Chrysler currently has the best infotainment on the market.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #28
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
RAV4 or CRV or Cherokee?

Thx NFR. Good advice. Mom hasn't seen the CR-V yet and so she already hated on the RAV4 Limited Hybrid interior. I'm expecting her to love the CR-V. The GM of our local dealer in Toronto is a close personal friend so I'm expecting to get a few bucks north of dealer pricing. And yeah, the Trailhawk trim was a selfish choice because I might take it for a spin from time to time lol. Lol at the diarrhea reference. I need to see it. I liked the full brown in the Porsche 911 though...

Also, winter tires not mandatory in Ontario. I believe it's only Quebec.

Last edited by fayraree; 05-04-2017 at 08:09 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

If the CRV came with the 2.4 turbo motor that used to be in the old RDX, my wife would be driving one now. It is still a spectacular car, no doubt about it, and the interior is REALLY nice, I mean VW nice (touring model.) I also happen to think the new CRV is very good looking, aggressive and nicely sculpted.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #30
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
why no cx-5?

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

The Mazdas are nice, look great, but a bit stiff, and a bit more cramped. The CRV is definitely more usable, the mazda is more fun (seems to be irrelevant in this case.)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #32
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Lol thanks, Sam! The key priorities for mom (and why I'm not getting an Accord or Camry) is because she has slight joint pain in her knees so she likes the raised seating positions in these crossovers, plus she needs something she can drive confidently through the deeper snows in Toronto (there were maybe 7-8 days where the 4Runner she's currently borrowing from me made her feel like a champ). I'm guessing the AWD capabilities of the CR-V are sufficient for that application, although I'm sure the Trailhawk could run circles around her. I just don't want her to be sliding all over the place when she's on the inclined offramp from the highway, making a sharp turn onto the often iced or heavily-snowed on street to get home. She lost control on that spot about 9 years ago and curbed her Jetta TDI which she loved--airbags deployed and car was written off. Ever since then she's been craving an SUV so hopefully the CR-V is enough, but that's my main reason to consider the Jeep.

Edit: just saw the new CR-V Touring on the street and it's absolutely beautiful!
That's more a of a tire issue than anything then isn't it. She needs winter tires.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 PM   #33
fayraree
flock killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's more a of a tire issue than anything then isn't it. She needs winter tires.
No, because she's felt her Civic lose traction in the snow over the last 7 years with winter tires. She felt safer in my 4Runner this past winter with NO winter tires (it's running all seasons). So, an AWD mini-SUV with snows should be golden.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #34
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Mazda CX-5
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #35
choxor

My Ride: JDM
34 replies and no mention of the S2k nor the Wrangler. What's wrong with you people?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #36
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
34 replies and no mention of the S2k nor the Wrangler. What's wrong with you people?

Post#11.

You blind, bruh??
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Damn. Still not at normal levels, though.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #38
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
No, because she's felt her Civic lose traction in the snow over the last 7 years with winter tires. She felt safer in my 4Runner this past winter with NO winter tires (it's running all seasons). So, an AWD mini-SUV with snows should be golden.
AWD doesn't help you stop or steer. What tires did she have on that Civic?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #39
fayraree
flock killer

She's had Michelin X-Ice.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #40
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Quote:
She's had Michelin X-Ice.