RAV4 or CRV or Cherokee? - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: RAV4 or CR-V or Cherokee?
2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid 4 12.50%
2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD 1.5L 11 34.38%
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk L-Plus V6 6 18.75%
Go fvck yourself 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #61
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
soo is that good? Bad? I have no clue what the s2000 are currently selling at.
That's about average. Prices have gone up the past few years and will continue to rise until Toyota and Subaru pull their heads out of their asses and sell a BRZ/GT86 with more power and convertible roof.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #62
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Im not gonna lie, after years of driving vehicles with HIDs, I can't drive halogen equipped cars at this point. Having said that, the LED lights on the CRV are not as good as my wife's RDX, and the EXL projectors would take an HID kit nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Eh, they look cool but aren't worth $3000 or whatever the upgrade to the touring trim is. The reason for going Touring in the previous gen was to get all the fancy electronic sensing shiz...now you can add the sensing package to a base model LX as an option. Touring isn't worth it anymore.

So much this. My Jeep with aftermarket HID's doesn't even come close...I'm not even sure it's playing the same game.
soooo....

I compared the specs between the EXL and Touring and the differences are:
- EXL price: $31,378 / Touring price: $34,223
- Touring has the LED lights (mom cares a lot; she wants HID like on my M3; can't really tell the diff from AP2 awesomeness)
- Touring has power tailgate hands-free access sensor as standard; $355 option on EXL (important, included in the price above)
- Touring has roof rails; $399 option for EXL (who cares, not added)
- Touring has bits of chrome around the exterior; can be added to EXL for extra $$$ (who cares)
- Touring has 330W sound with 8 speakers + subwoofer (EXL only has 180W with 8 speakers, no subwoofer) (mom doesn't care about this at all; no option available to upgrade from EXL, or even navi trim, but I agree, no need for navi trim; phone suffices)

And that's it! I agree, the $3,000 savings is pretty awesome. What's the best upgrade kit for the CR-V, can anyone provide some tips? I saw this online:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/.../category/448/

...but it looks kinda sketchy...

I found that stylish LED look on the Touring to be pretty sweet; used as DRL I believe. Not sure if that's included in the EXL; will compare all the above when I go to the dealer this Saturday.

Last edited by fayraree; 05-08-2017 at 11:24 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #63
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Looks like the CRV uses an H11 or a 9003 for the low beam halogen projector. So basically just get an HID kit for that size bulb. TheRetrofitSource.com has a good in-house ballast design and decent conversion bulbs.

But honestly, retrofitting a NEW car? Kinda bad. I think I'd go for the $3k option or go home. Halogens suck balls. Why not get a fully loaded used 2016 CRV for thousands less?

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #64
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
Just get the LED's....I used the morimotto ballasts before.....good, but not as good as LED.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #65
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
It's 3k retail. The actual delta is probably closer to 2k. For 2k, imho it's a no brainer, I'd get the touring.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #66
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Looks like the CRV uses an H11 or a 9003 for the low beam halogen projector. So basically just get an HID kit for that size bulb. TheRetrofitSource.com has a good in-house ballast design and decent conversion bulbs.

But honestly, retrofitting a NEW car? Kinda bad. I think I'd go for the $3k option or go home. Halogens suck balls. Why not get a fully loaded used 2016 CRV for thousands less?

Old body, none of the new upgrades options, features, looks, etc. his mom probably buys a car once in 10 years, just do it right, get the touring.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #67
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Definitely touring. 2-3k is worth the creature comforts
Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #68
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
And that's it! I agree, the $3,000 savings is pretty awesome. What's the best upgrade kit for the CR-V, can anyone provide some tips? I saw this online:
Find the bulb size and drop in the replacement from the retrofit source.

FWIW, in my area the truecar price for the Touring is $33769 and the EXL no-nav is $30648 so it is a ~$3100 difference but both prices are above invoice. Could vary drastically in your area though. Another option is to look into Costco pricing for these. That usually nets you a rather sizable savings when it comes to more in demand models.

Quote:
Yep, here you go:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...rsal-kits.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
Definitely touring. 2-3k is worth the creature comforts
That's the thing though, the Touring doesn't really have any creature comforts over the EXL other than the headlights and silly roof rack. If mom is going to keep this thing for the rest of time then grab the touring and be done. If this is a short term, I'd just get the EXL and move on. Neither of these headlights are going to come close to the droolworthy performance of the S2000 projector.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-08-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #69
NFRs2000nyc

The s2000 ballast looks like a brick, it's super long and thick. Nice and girthy. The s2000 projector really is something else. It's amazing Honda was able to sell that thing for 35k.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #70
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Old body, none of the new upgrades options, features, looks, etc. his mom probably buys a car once in 10 years, just do it right, get the touring.
hit the nail on the head. yeah, for $1.5k diff ($2k - $500 for the parts/install of a retrofit) might as well just leave everything under 100% Honda warranty. Especially because I'm in NY while mom is in Toronto for now. Less headaches.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #71
WDE46

Quote:
Find the bulb size and drop in the replacement from the retrofit source.

FWIW, in my area the truecar price for the Touring is $33769 and the EXL no-nav is $30648 so it is a ~$3100 difference but both prices are above invoice. Could vary drastically in your area though. Another option is to look into Costco pricing for these. That usually nets you a rather sizable savings when it comes to more in demand models.

Yep, here you go:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...rsal-kits.html

That's the thing though, the Touring doesn't really have any creature comforts over the EXL other than the headlights and silly roof rack. If mom is going to keep this thing for the rest of time then grab the touring and be done. If this is a short term, I'd just get the EXL and move on. Neither of these headlights are going to come close to the droolworthy performance of the S2000 projector.
Also on the retrofit need to be careful about bulb check functionality. On my E46 for example, it checks with a pulse so the ballast will be turned on and off really fast. This actually damaged one of my ballasts. Replaced it later. I had to code the bulb check off to get the direct plug-in xenon to work.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #72
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Also on the retrofit need to be careful about bulb check functionality. On my E46 for example, it checks with a pulse so the ballast will be turned on and off really fast. This actually damaged one of my ballasts. Replaced it later. I had to code the bulb check off to get the direct plug-in xenon to work.

Thankfully honda doesn't use PWM. Annoyingly, Chrysler does and it fvcking sucks.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #73
SamDoe1

Quote:
Thankfully honda doesn't use PWM. Annoyingly, Chrysler does and it fvcking sucks.

There are plenty of companies that make PWM modules (essentially capacitors/resistors in a box) that mitigate this issue. TRS is definitely one of them.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #74
NFRs2000nyc

RAV4 or CRV or Cherokee?

Borrowed the wife's car today, she's getting a decent 22mpg average with lots of stop and go. Not bad for a v6.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #75
SamDoe1

Quote:
Borrowed the wife's car today, she's getting a decent 22mpg average with lots of stop and go. Not bad for a v6.
That's what my Jeep gets...she have low range and a locker on that thing?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #76
WDE46

wants to report mpg. make sure you fit that rolex and ring in the pic too for more instagram likes

Old 05-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #77
NFRs2000nyc

RAV4 or CRV or Cherokee?

lol I was driving, I don't post on instagram, not enough bilzarian status. Ring is black ceramic and dinosaur bone, but not something that's expensive. I think the wife paid like $250 for it. Having said that, I cropped for lower level of doucheness.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
That's what my Jeep gets...she have low range and a locker on that thing?

No and the bose stereo kind of blows. The infotainment is meh compared to yours as well. It's an ok vehicle that will be reliable over the lease at which point I will be getting something else. It is quiet and comfortable but nothing much more. The grand Cherokee overland would have been the smarter get, just that Acura gave me a much better trade for our old CRV.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #79
SamDoe1

Quote:
No and the bose stereo kind of blows. The infotainment is meh compared to yours as well. It's an ok vehicle that will be reliable over the lease at which point I will be getting something else. It is quiet and comfortable but nothing much more. The grand Cherokee overland would have been the smarter get, just that Acura gave me a much better trade for our old CRV.
Mine will be reliable for the rest of time given the lifetime warranty.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #80
NFRs2000nyc

This is true. Still waiting for JL news