E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Yo Adrian

My Ride: 356 speedster
I have some stupid question's see if you can help?

I purchased this car for my niece as a gift and i don't know nothing about these cars but I'm learning as i go. I'm at the tire and rim stage now and need some help. The pages and info on setups is over whelming. First its a 2002 325 ci convertible. The car seems wider in the front then at the rear or is it just my 50 yr old eyes? Does it matter that is a convertible body wise in selecting? I do not think the suspension has been messed with, it seems everything is stock. current setup up is 225/45r 17 all around. 2 sets of different type tires, 2 yokohamas in front and handkooks at the rear and the rims are pretty scrapped up. I don't want to get into the fender rolling or anything else, but where she lives it takes 8 speed bumps daily in and out and that concerns me. I like to give her that elegant sporty look without slamming it, if you get my meaning. i have included pictures of what i have now and i am leaning towards vmr710 18" for her if feasible, but I'm concerned with rubbing and bottoming out or which tire size to get. The other pic is the look i would like to give her but it doesn't have to be exactly that. Thank you for any help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	654777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	654778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture42_Big.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	654779   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	654780  

Yo Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Taste is subjective, but there are a few basic principles with this vehicle in my opinion:

- Most coupes need a staggered wheel setup (wider in back)
- 18" diameter wheels are the balance between form & function.
- Stock tires sizes are 225/40/18 (front) and 255/35/18 (rear)
- CSL replica wheels are among the most common / best looking wheels for this car, as are the OEM ZHP wheels

Check out the following for some inspiration:
- Sportline CS.16 wheels,
- BMW OEM Style 135 (ZHP),
- VMR V703,
- BMW Performance Wheels Style 269 (19")
- BMW OEM Style 67 (19").

And here is a website (granted in German) which lists all the OEM BMW wheels, with pictures and specs:
http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Find the OEM wheels I suggested above as a starting point to better understand sizing (under "Baureihe: E46")

Last edited by GhostFlame; 05-11-2017 at 03:57 PM.
GhostFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Yo Adrian

My Ride: 356 speedster
Thank you Ghost, I will look into all those points, I just finished installing the m-tech 2 bumper for her because i had to replace it anyway and slapped the small spoiler on the trunk. Had the interiors redone and waiting on the Dynavin n6 from jeff to get here after that it's rims, tires and then find some wood trim that isn't cracked or i will have to recover it with 3m wood wrap. Then she gets her car. She is the only girl in the family and with straight A's i tend to want to spoil her. I laugh at times thinking about my first car when I'm working on this one '' A no paint no carpet pinto''.
When you say staggered i see it in the tire sizes 35/40, wider tires in the back. The german site does list that tire showing it as a 8x17 rim with the same size tire i listed. I will use the tire calculator and imput those size tires you gave me and see how it changes. I'm back, i see it changes only slighty in the front, hardly noticeable but the back is more apparent. Should i be throwing in some offset? I see what you mean by eye candy cs-16/v710/v703 is what its narrowed down to, and i am happy with 18's i really don't want issues with rubbing and a nice buffer for those speed bumps.

Last edited by Yo Adrian; 05-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Yo Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Your neice is a very lucky girl!

With the MTech 2 bumper, the ZHP wheels will go very nicely as well. (18x8 front, 18x8.5 rears)
The stock offsets should give you a rough idea on the wiggle room you have if choosing the CSL wheels though.

On my sedan, I am running 18x8.5 all around, with a positive offset of ET40.
Tires are 235/40/18, mostly for practicality's sake.

I am lowered to about sport ride height with this wheel setup and have no issues whatsoever.
My last set of wheels were 18x8 ET35 all around, and much lower, again with no issues.

Good luck, and update us with a picture once you've got her car all sorted out!

Last edited by GhostFlame; 05-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.
GhostFlame is offline   Reply With Quote