E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #21
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Curious if anyone here actually has an account of an offset accident.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
I've been in one personally. In a 2003 Miata ~30 mph. I was lucky he struck the frame on the car and it wasn't a glancing blow. Still came out with a bad concussion.

Granted rear ends are more common but it still happens. The thing to remember is this test was a 30 mph, take that up to 60mph for both cars, and now the energy stored in both cars has quadrupled. The '15 corolla already had the A-pillar buckle at 30 mph, it would have been obliterated at 60mph, or with a midsized SUV

Here's an example from this weekend in my area.
http://www.skagitbreaking.com/2017/0...ers-day-crash/
Quote:
The press memo states Mr. Fitzgerald's vehicle crossed the center line for an unknown reason and struck a Westbound 2012 Toyota Yaris being driven by 24-year old Pamela Moyer of Bellingham. The force of the crash caused her vehicle to rollover where it came to rest on the Westbound Shoulder of State Route 542. Mr. Fitzgerald's Suburban continued Eastbound in the Westbound Lane and then struck a 1998 Subaru Legacy head-on. The Subaru Legacy was being driven by the husband of the first vehicle, 25-year old Phillip Moyer of Ferndale. The Suburban came to rest in the Eastbound Lane and the Subaru Legacy came to rest in the Westbound Ditch according to the press release.

Last edited by wallaby13; 05-16-2017 at 09:12 AM.
wallaby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
This one is even more telling...

SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Trying to remember everyone I know that has ever been in an accident, Im talking EVERYONE, and Im talking EVER. I don't think a single one of them has been this stupid moronic offset test.
I'd imagine it happens rather often. They aren't going to add an expensive test just for sh1ts and giggles.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
I had one in 2011. Broken neck, 8 screws, 2 rods and bone from my hip....

Last edited by wild willy; 05-16-2017 at 09:35 AM.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
[IMG][/IMG]
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Not surprised by the results of the crash. Great that cars are built safer, but lets look at some facts here. New cars are bigger and heavier. That new corolla weighs close to 400lb heavier than the older one.

Put the new corolla up against a car that has the same weight advantage then compare the differences in damage.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Not surprised by the results of the crash. Great that cars are built safer, but lets look at some facts here. New cars are bigger and heavier. That new corolla weighs close to 400lb heavier than the older one.

Put the new corolla up against a car that has the same weight advantage then compare the differences in damage.
It's not all about the weight. It's about the ability of the structure to absorb the crash and/or direct the energy around the passenger compartment.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-16-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #28
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
It's not all about the weight. It's about the ability of the structure to absorb the crash and/or direct the energy around the passenger compartment.
This is nothing more than an assumption, but i would guess decent amount of that extra 400lbs was probably put into the chassis or parts of the car that are made for impact.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
This is nothing more than an assumption, but i would guess decent amount of that extra 400lbs was probably put into the chassis or parts of the car that are made for impact.
Or it could be put into computers, engine management systems, air conditioning, modern amenities, electronics, wiring, nav systems, audio equipment, etc... Either way, even if it was put into impact mitigation that weight is not just for sheer mass, it was for making the car better able to absorb the impact energy and direct it around the passenger compartment.

The video I posted of the two Chevy's being crashed is pretty telling though. The 1959 weighs in at ~3700lbs and the 2009 is 3400lbs.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #30
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Quote:
This one is even more telling...

damn that is nuts. And you wouldn't normally expect that to happen because you'd think the massive amounts of old thick steel on the old chevy would just destroy the new thin-paneled cars. But the entire passenger compartment is obliterated in the old car.

Also Wild Willy, your passenger compartment looked pretty decent in the footwell area, what was the injury from, just shock from the collision and body getting slammed against the air bags, etc? I'd imagine if you were in that old skool chevy, you'd be dead right now. So you are lucky to have survived that crash.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #31
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
damn that is nuts. And you wouldn't normally expect that to happen because you'd think the massive amounts of old thick steel on the old chevy would just destroy the new thin-paneled cars. But the entire passenger compartment is obliterated in the old car.

Also Wild Willy, your passenger compartment looked pretty decent in the footwell area, what was the injury from, just shock from the collision and body getting slammed against the air bags, etc? I'd imagine if you were in that old skool chevy, you'd be dead right now. So you are lucky to have survived that crash.
Correct. The problem with the old cars is that the strongest bits were at the front and back and the weakest were in the middle where you sat. Their thinking was like yours that big giant panels of steel can just smash through stuff. Unfortunately though, that force has to go somewhere and it's always up to the weakest parts to absorb the energy first...which happens to be where the person sat before they were crushed like a pop can and the crumple zones were basically your knees and elbows.

Modern cars have a weaker crash structure in the front and rear on purpose with the idea that as it deforms, it absorbs the energy from the collision. The middle part where you sit is very strong and allows the energy to go through and around the passenger compartment and away from the people inside.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #32
JJR4884

Quote:
Or it could be put into computers, engine management systems, air conditioning, modern amenities, electronics, wiring, nav systems, audio equipment, etc... Either way, even if it was put into impact mitigation that weight is not just for sheer mass, it was for making the car better able to absorb the impact energy and direct it around the passenger compartment.

The video I posted of the two Chevy's being crashed is pretty telling though. The 1959 weighs in at ~3700lbs and the 2009 is 3400lbs.
Damn... well that settles that.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I hit a stone wall going sideways in a 2001 Pontiac GTP Coupe (I loved that car) going maybe 20mph at the time of impact. The driver seat was compressed from the side impact.

I'm actually very surprised at how poorly LOTS of cars do in side impacts. Even a new Impala or a Lexus ES is only getting a 2 star side impact rating.

I'm looking to get a new car soon and I know safety ratings will be on my priority list. The e46 seemed to rate pretty good from what I remember.

Bigger is still safer. I'm probably going to end up in a 2010 or 2014 528...maybe 535...but reliability has me very nervous, especially in the 35.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 05-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #34
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:

Those old cars are not necessarily made of thicker sheet metal. The main difference is that the fenders were bolted on at a few locations and are "floating" over the wheels and chassis, they weren't designed to be crush zones. Newer cars have a unibody construction where the chassis is integrated into a core structure. You started to see unibody construction in small 60s cars but wasn't the norm, and they weren't design with the intention of being crush zones.

This is what my 53 looks like with the front end off. The body ends at the firewall and the fenders bolt on to the uprights at the front of the chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170417_185411.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	655168

Sent from my Pixel using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 05-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #35
BreakfastBurrito

This is not my 2002 but you can see the unibody without the fenders.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #36
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
This is not my 2002 but you can see the unibody without the fenders.

But but but your forum name, and that guy in this picture.....! Is it really you???

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #37
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
But but but your forum name, and that guy in this picture.....! Is it really you???

I am a fat Mexican guy, just not that one.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #38
trizzuth

Quote:

I love you even more now

Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #39
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:

well from now on we will all know you as the guy on that pic. you shall be called javier.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #40
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
well from now on we will all know you as the guy on that pic. you shall be called javier.