E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Definitely a troubled bunch. I dunno why, but for some reason I always saw Chris Cornell as the even-keeled one of that group. I guess I was mistaken. Anyway, RIP.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #22
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Love this song, AoG doesn't know what he's talking about.

Had this CD even before they were Audioslave, they were kicking around naming their band Civilian at first. Teaming up with Tom Morello brought two legends together.
lol I know plenty. I've seen all these bands countless times. Audioslave was boring garbage.

If you want to compare music knowledge and experience, be my guest and embarrass yourself.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
lol I know plenty. I've seen all these bands countless times. Audioslave was boring garbage.

If you want to compare music knowledge and experience, be my guest and embarrass yourself.
You are so argumentative, Audioslave was good, that's it.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #24
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
You are so argumentative, Audioslave was good, that's it.
You're rude, you get what you give. As a lifelong performing musician, my opinion is that while the band had good talent (Morello is a guitar god and one of my major influences) they were a steaming pile of dog sh!t as entertainment.

So sick of the social media barrage of bandwagoners after famous people die. Yeah, everyone's a HUGE soundgarden fan now.

edit: ...and to have the nerve to use the word "legend", borderline insanity. Layne Stayley was the far better singer and he's not considered a legend.

Last edited by Act of God; 05-18-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Sucks, I knew him personally, and set him up to go out with a friend of mine. Haven't seen him in a decade, but something tells me they will find out he was on antidepressants and a heap of other prescriptions. It's how many people are dependent on those things these days. RIP.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Love this song, AoG doesn't know what he's talking about.

Had this CD even before they were Audioslave, they were kicking around naming their band Civilian at first. Teaming up with Tom Morello brought two legends together.
Werd. Morello was the man.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #27
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:

Holy crap! Get over yourself. What a poser.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #28
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
You're rude, you get what you give. As a lifelong performing musician, my opinion is that while the band had good talent (Morello is a guitar god and one of my major influences) they were a steaming pile of dog sh!t as entertainment.

So sick of the social media barrage of bandwagoners after famous people die. Yeah, everyone's a HUGE soundgarden fan now.

edit: ...and to have the nerve to use the word "legend", borderline insanity. Layne Stayley was the far better singer and he's not considered a legend.
With comments like yours, I guess your lifelong musical talent is playing the skin flute.

Morello is average. Nowhere near the break-out talents like Van Halen, Steve Vai or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Lane Staley was not a better singer than Cornell. Of the Seattle bunch, Cornell was tops. By a large margin. He was a solid guitar player, stellar songwriter and virtuoso singer. Based on this thread's comments, your opinion is worthless.

Usually you make some level of sense. The drivel in here is nonsense.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
With comments like yours, I guess your lifelong musical talent is playing the skin flute.

Morello is average. Nowhere near the break-out talents like Van Halen, Steve Vai or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Lane Staley was not a better singer than Cornell. Of the Seattle bunch, Cornell was tops. By a large margin. He was a solid guitar player, stellar songwriter and virtuoso singer. Based on this thread's comments, your opinion is worthless.

Usually you make some level of sense. The drivel in here is nonsense.
This, he was a true multitalented artist, Layne was great at writing songs about heroin and had an amazing voice and front man's presence, but like I said earlier I think Cantrell was the true talent behind Alice in Chains.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #30
Act of God

Quote:
This, he was a true multitalented artist, Layne was great at writing songs about heroin and had an amazing voice and front man's presence, but like I said earlier I think Cantrell was the true talent behind Alice in Chains.
Jerry was, but Laynes voice was generational.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #31
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Morello is average. Nowhere near the break-out talents like Van Halen, Steve Vai or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Lane Staley was not a better singer than Cornell. Of the Seattle bunch, Cornell was tops. By a large margin. He was a solid guitar player, stellar songwriter and virtuoso singer.
You are way off base on Morello. He is an innovator, that's his mark in the music world. Eddie was an innovator too, which made him a bona fide legend. His use of finger tapping and hammer-ons/pull-offs changed the game. Nuno Bettencourt is technically a better guitar player than EVH, but he will never be a legend because his style is so heavily derivative from EVH's groundbreaking playing.

SRV was beyond amazing, but he didn't change the game. He simply sounded better than everyone else. Vai broke ground, obviously, and was able to make a guitar sound like no one had before.

Morello did things no one did before and his techniques are used frequently today. He popularized the Digitech Whammy Pedal, killswitches, playing heavy metal on a neck pickup and somehow getting a guitar to sound like a synth without midi or anything like it.

Groundbreaking.

For the Seattle crew, I'm still tipping my hat to Layne Staley on vocals, either Jerry Cantrell or Cobain for song writing. I'm not going to comment on Cornell on guitar as he was not a guitar player and it would not be fair.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #32
NFRs2000nyc

Yea I can't see how one would think Morello was anything but an innovator. His feedback techniques were unmatched.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #33
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
Just a sad situation all around.....he made great music.
Paved the way for musicians and inspired many.
Tom Morello is king of the guitar.....this is true.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #34
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yea I can't see how one would think Morello was anything but an innovator. His feedback techniques were unmatched.
Pretty sure at one point Morello said some of the stuff he's done in studio was so nuts it's hard for him to play it live, he is a true artist with a guitar.

And don't get me wrong I think Layne Staley was amazing, I just think Cornell was more of a multifaceted artist.

Alice In Chains is more than likely my favorite band of all time, up there with STP and Pearl Jam, luckily I was able to see STP while Weiland was still around, never got to see Alice In Chains live though, a good friend who had got me into Guns and Roses in the 80s also got me into grunge (specifically Alice In Chains) after he went on a pilgrimage of sorts to Seattle after 8th grade. I was 2 years younger and thought it was the coolest thing ever at the time (1992) Dirt and Jar of Flies are two of the greatest albums ever if you ask me.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #35
Act of God

I saw Aic open up for Van Halen during the F.U.C.K. tour, might have been too big of an arena for them. They're one of my absolute favorite bands ever and they came off a litle lackluster. To that point, so did Faith No More (another top 5 band for me) when I saw them at Giants stadium opening up for Guns 'n Roses, but then when I saw them 2 years ago at Webster Hall in NYC they blew my mind.

I think some bands are better suited for smaller venues.

Edit: FTR I forced myself to listen to "Be Yourself" by Audioslave and it is generic butt rock.

Last edited by Act of God; 05-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #36
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Guy was a true talent, singer, song writer, and musician, him along with Jerry Cantrell and Billy Corgan will go down as musical legends if you ask me, something that doesn't exist anymore.
well thank god nobody is asking you. nobody will remember him in a week.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #37
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Sucks, I knew him personally, and set him up to go out with a friend of mine. Haven't seen him in a decade, but something tells me they will find out he was on antidepressants and a heap of other prescriptions. It's how many people are dependent on those things these days. RIP.
That's awesome you knew him. What was he like as a person?

Depression is some bad shit, dude. It took various trials of medication before I found one that worked. I'm on a 150mg dose of Welbutrin (buproprion) once a day and it seems to have balanced me out some. I remember when I took Lexapro, it worked great for about five or six months. Then I found myself thinking suicidal thoughts and tried to push them aside. It was like my brain was trying its hardest to convince itself I was a worthless piece of garbage that NEEDED to die. One night, I found myself in a parking lot with my pistol in my hand, getting ready to end it. Fortunately, one of my friends (who had been keeping tabs on me) called me at that moment and said, "Something told me I just needed to call you and see if you were okay."

When I say "found myself", I mean that. It's like it wasn't actually me who wanted to kill myself. It's really hard to explain, but I just know I never, EVER want to feel like that again.

0/10. Depression can go fuck itself.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 05-19-2017 at 07:58 AM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #38
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
That's awesome you knew him. What was he like as a person?

Depression is some bad shit, dude. It took various trials of medication before I found one that worked. I'm on a 150mg dose of Welbutrin (buproprion) once a day and it seems to have balanced me out some. I remember when I took Lexapro, it worked great for about five or six months. Then I found myself thinking suicidal thoughts and tried to push them aside. It was like my brain was trying its hardest to convince itself I was a worthless piece of garbage that NEEDED to die. One night, I found myself in a parking lot with my pistol in my hand, getting ready to end it. Fortunately, one of my friends (who had been keeping tabs on me) called me at that moment and said, "Something told me I just needed to call you and see if you were okay."

When I say "found myself", I mean that. It's like it wasn't actually me who wanted to kill myself. It's really hard to explain, but I just know I never, EVER want to feel like that again.

0/10. Depression can go fuck itself.
Thanks for sharing, and your friend was/is a true blessing!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #39
VTRweasel

My Ride: 03' 330i & 16' FZ-09
I'm much more troubled by the news of Nicky Hayden right now

Last edited by VTRweasel; 05-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
VTRweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #40
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRweasel View Post
I'm much more troubled by the news of Nicky Hayden right now
I gave up cycling a few years ago after several friends suffered serious injuries, one right after the other over a single summer. I miss it but it's just too risky.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote