E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
If your car is doing nothing when you turn the key:

The biggest and most obvious and most common thing is the battery. Don't think just cause you've got dome lights, your battery is good. E46 is really picky i've learned and requires a big whoppin fully charged battery. I once had my neighbors dead battery E46 on jumper cables with My e46 running AND REVVED and his engine wouldn't even BUDGE. Nothing. Even after 5 minutes and multiple tries. After 10 min, his engine barely (BARELY) turned over. And he limped over to pep boys to get a new battery. all was fine. ive experienced this with other E46s as well. being picky and requiring lots of time and needing full voltage. My cables were fairly thick too.

The second likely culprit is the starter. could be in a bad spot on its rotation. or could just be completely dead.

third culprit (rare) is you have a mechanical jam (mango patent pending term) that means you locked up your engine some how, fast and furious shifting, broke a connecting rod, someone threw metal gummy bears in the spark plug hole. that kinda thing.

seriously try a jump. if you start, get a new battery (you should anyway) and i suppose you could push start the engine.

if not, consider a starter (another "you should anyway")
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #22
Mango
e46mango.com

98% of the time, these cars are not mysterious. people post walls of text and theories, requests for readings this and that.

my opinion is F all that. just maintain the most obvious and simple things and you'll never experience a breakdown/no start. 7 BMWs and 250k driving miles and i never have! GL OP!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
DrQuantum

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
If your car is doing nothing when you turn the key:

The biggest and most obvious and most common thing is the battery. Don't think just cause you've got dome lights, your battery is good. E46 is really picky i've learned and requires a big whoppin fully charged battery. I once had my neighbors dead battery E46 on jumper cables with My e46 running AND REVVED and his engine wouldn't even BUDGE. Nothing. Even after 5 minutes and multiple tries. After 10 min, his engine barely (BARELY) turned over. And he limped over to pep boys to get a new battery. all was fine. ive experienced this with other E46s as well. being picky and requiring lots of time and needing full voltage. My cables were fairly thick too.

The second likely culprit is the starter. could be in a bad spot on its rotation. or could just be completely dead.

third culprit (rare) is you have a mechanical jam (mango patent pending term) that means you locked up your engine some how, fast and furious shifting, broke a connecting rod, someone threw metal gummy bears in the spark plug hole. that kinda thing.

seriously try a jump. if you start, get a new battery (you should anyway) and i suppose you could push start the engine.

if not, consider a starter (another "you should anyway")

So believe it or not I baby this car and put TONS of money into it on a monthly basis. Have done the cooling overhaul, suspension, regular oil changes, replaced the battery with a brand new one less than 2 years ago, o rings, air filter, oil pan gasket, etc etc.

TBH all of my problems started when I got the avin avant 2 installed (android head unit). Started draining my battery. My car was pulling a full amp with engine off (after 20 minute rest period.) Thats when i replaced the battery, then my alternator died out on me and i got that replaced with a higher voltage alt.

In the days leading up to this (even before topping up the oil) the car would crank slugglishly but still start. When it failed to start i was so sure it was the battery but the very first thing i did was to get the car boosted and with cables connected got nothing. Lights were a bit brighter indicating that the battery was problably low because of the head unit (car always turns over sluggishly when I dont do a hard shutdown on the headunit before turning the car off) but ultimately i stopped hearing any clicking and i get basically all dashboard lights on when i try to start the car. the fact that the boost didnt work this time is whats lead me to believe it was the overfill but honestly, I'd love to be wrong. I just want my damn car back

heres a video of latest attempt:

Last edited by DrQuantum; 05-19-2017 at 10:16 AM.
DrQuantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #24
Mango
e46mango.com

Did your alternator die AFTER you replaced your battery? That's the thing with that, it's a vicious cycle/circle. You can get a new battery due to a failing alternator and that alternator can then kill that new battery. And vise versa if your battery is low. Both can kill eachother if one is weak, and you replace ONE thinking its the problem.

The main thing to do is check your resting voltage. I believe 11.5+ V is what you want when starting your car. Ideally 12-12.3. If you're below that, you either have a charging or parasitic draw problem.

Test battery, test alternator (you can view voltage while running 14.4) and last make sure that HU isn't drawing when car is off.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
DrQuantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Did your alternator die AFTER you replaced your battery? That's the thing with that, it's a vicious cycle/circle. You can get a new battery due to a failing alternator and that alternator can then kill that new battery. And vise versa if your battery is low. Both can kill eachother if one is weak, and you replace ONE thinking its the problem.

The main thing to do is check your resting voltage. I believe 11.5+ V is what you want when starting your car. Ideally 12-12.3. If you're below that, you either have a charging or parasitic draw problem.

Test battery, test alternator (you can view voltage while running 14.4) and last make sure that HU isn't drawing when car is off.
yea it did...bullocks.

thats what my mechanic mentioned...parasitic draw. he said hed have to test where it was coming from but that my car was definitely drawing way more than it should be in a resting state..don't remember the exact figures.

If this were a battery issue though wouldnt the boost get the car started?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #26
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Put it in neutral and try to start it.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #27
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
If your mobile mechanic wants some ideas, this might help him. But then again it might cut down on his fee. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...eplacement+diy
BTW, the starter is under the cabin filter, near the fire wall, not the airbox.

Last edited by jmo69; 05-19-2017 at 02:20 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
DjDom

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Where in Toronto are you located?
DjDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #29
DrQuantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
Put it in neutral and try to start it.
just gave that a shot...sadly, didn't work.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #30
DrQuantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
If your mobile mechanic wants some ideas, this might help him. But then again it might cut down on his fee. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...eplacement+diy
BTW, the starter is under the cabin filter, near the fire wall, not the airbox.
thats the same thing as the heat shield right? upper right corner? The mobile mechanic said they couldnt come out today and that id have to wait till monday. I just said **** it and enrolled with CAA Premium and will get it towed out to my mechanic in Mississauga most likely whos always done good by me
Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #31
DrQuantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDom View Post
Where in Toronto are you located?
By dundas and jarvis...lol selfless acts of humanity are more than welcome.

edit: rip just discovered there was a multi quote feature, my bad!

Last edited by DrQuantum; 05-19-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuantum View Post
just gave that a shot...sadly, didn't work.
Start at the bottom holding the key in the start position and slowly push the lever up to park.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #33
DrQuantum

Quote:
Start at the bottom holding the key in the start position and slowly push the lever up to park.
will have to go back downstairs to try that...lol i dont have high hopes but nothing to lose at this point. will update in 30ish min or so.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #34
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuantum View Post
thats the same thing as the heat shield right? upper right corner? The mobile mechanic said they couldnt come out today and that id have to wait till monday. I just said **** it and enrolled with CAA Premium and will get it towed out to my mechanic in Mississauga most likely whos always done good by me
The starter sits on top of the engine near the middle of the block, pretty much under the intake manifold.

I hope before you mechanic changes the starter he tries to turn the crank with a socket and breaker bar. The red oil light isn't a good sign.

Last edited by jmo69; 05-19-2017 at 06:27 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #35
DrQuantum

Quote:
no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
The starter sits on top of the engine near the middle of the block, pretty much under the intake manifold.

I hope before you mechanic changes the starter he tries to turn the crank with a socket and breaker bar. The red oil light isn't a good sign.
i will ask him to. what are you thinking the red light could indicate? i know it means pressure issue but dont those dash lights always act wonky when there are power issues? e.g the parking brake light is on but the brake is down.

Tags
alternator, crank, oil, overfill, starter