E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Possible Power Steering Pump Failure?

Driving in town and about to make a left hand turn at a signal light. I notice a tiny rumble/vibration when turning the wheel then it goes away. I pass my destination (stupid POS Magellan) and turn into a residential to make a "u" turn and go back.

All of a sudden, the car start vibrating really hard through the steering wheel. I pulled over and shut down the car. Turn it back on, idle is fine and smooth, no CEL, temp is good, etc... I put the car in gear and start to turn the wheel to move away from the curb and the vibration returns heavily and the engine area is making a semi loud almost "thud" noise rapidly (only when the wheel is turned even slightly).

I pop the hood and check, no leaks or anything. Check the power steering res. and it's at perfect operating level. The belts are spinning on the pulleys freely.

When I turn the wheel I feel like I have assist but the rapid "thud" type sound that ensues when I turn the wheel scares me too much to really try.

Long story short I left my car parked across town because a random girl happen to be driving by who offered to give me a ride.

Has anyone had this happen? I replaced the whole steering rack within the last 1,000 miles (new ATF added and properly bled). Car has been running great and steering felt great, no precursor signs.

Ugh, on a side note, I offered the girl $10 for gas and being so nice to help a stranded motorist, she declined and said I should take her to dinner next week in my car when it's running again. Soooooooo, overall it wasn't 100% bad. I'd still like to know what's going on though.

Last edited by islanq; 03-31-2011 at 03:16 PM.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
snowborder142190

My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Well I am not sure if it has failed but we can check. Get a friend, or maybe the girl that helped you out, to turn the wheel while listen in the engine bay for the sound. See if it is coming from the pump area. If you still have power steering it would make me think that the pump is still working. Check everything while someone turns the wheel. Check the rack an see if somehow it has gotten loose.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
too_desi

My Ride: 325i
Pump running dry perhaps?

I had the same issue (my car was sitting in snow for a few days) and i had the same loud noise when turning the wheel.

I somehow drove it down to the indy and it was the P/S pump allright. The drive was fine in a straight line or with minimum wheel turn. It didnt feel like it was hard to turn the wheel, but when making a full (left/right) turn, it would start moaning.

ended up upgrading to a used LF-30 from the junk yard + new P/S hoses

did set me back about $600 (parts + labour)

It's a scary noise when you don't know what it is.
too_desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_desi View Post

I had the same issue (my car was sitting in snow for a few days) and i had the same loud noise when turning the wheel.

I somehow drove it down to the indy and it was the P/S pump allright. The drive was fine in a straight line or with minimum wheel turn. It didnt feel like it was hard to turn the wheel, but when making a full (left/right) turn, it would start moaning.

Thanks for the info! I have had low fluid in my res and can tell you it's a completely different sound then when the PS pump is struggling to get fluid. I have never heard a noise like this before.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
It's the PS pump if it varies with steering.

get a used one from a low mileage car and save a lot of money.

or check ecs tuning. They have aftermarket LUK LF-20 power steering pumps at a good price. install is easy.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
It's the PS pump if it varies with steering.

get a used one from a low mileage car and save a lot of money.

or check ecs tuning. They have aftermarket LUK LF-20 power steering pumps at a good price. install is easy.
Thanks for the info, Ian. I live like 20 mins from Bav Auto Recycling and a few other huge auto dismantles. I'll give my buddy a call so he can grab me a low mile pump.

Considering I have done CCV, intake manifold gasket, and a complete steering rack in the past few weeks. Pretty much all installs short of a complete engine rebuilt are seeming easy to me now! Lol

Nice sig BTW.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_desi View Post

UPDATE: I purchased a used OEM LUK LF-30 to replace my current one (which I thought was bad). I turn on my car to gimp it home, everything is FINE! No more rumble, steering moves perfect.

I'm thinking that when I replaced my rack (including hydraulic steering gear box) and drained the res. then put new ATF and bled the system, maybe some gunk or debris moved down and clogged a hose. After the car cooled off (today) the cooled ATF returned upward toward the res. and dislodged the problem area. I'm not going to replace hoses and flush the ATF again to ensure nothing else like this remains in my lines.

On a side note, I have a used OEM LUK LF-30 I just purchased for $230 w/ a 4 month warranty on it. Asking $200 + shipping.

Last edited by islanq; 04-01-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
truajb

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I am hearing some noise when I turn the wheel all the way to left or right. Is this normal? Did you have the same problem?
truajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #9
maksezzy

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq View Post
ugh, on a side note, i offered the girl $10 for gas and being so nice to help a stranded motorist, she declined and said i should take her to dinner next week in my car when it's running again. Soooooooo, overall it wasn't 100% bad. I'd still like to know what's going on though.
braggggg
maksezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksezzy View Post
braggggg
Wouldn't you?!
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #11
maksezzy