E46 Fanatics Forum banner

help me get rid of my dealer-made swirlmarks!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rcurley55 
#1 ·
i have a porter cable and some of the griots garage polishing and waxing compounds and pads. WHat is the best thing to do to get rid of this ****?

#3 ·
i basicallly have the stg 1 griots grage kit.... which is stage 3 polish (the least abrasive polish they carry) with orange polishing pad. Best of show wax with red waxing pad. Clay and speed shine. And those cloth covers that go over the pads to get the wax/polish off.

-jon

#5 ·
M3J0N said:
i basicallly have the stg 1 griots grage kit.... which is stage 3 polish (the least abrasive polish they carry) with orange polishing pad. Best of show wax with red waxing pad. Clay and speed shine. And those cloth covers that go over the pads to get the wax/polish off.

-jon

Jon,

If I was in your shoes, I'd first evaluate your expectations on the car - it's carbon black, and is going to be difficult to get perfect, so set a realistic expectation for how much time you want to spend.

With that said, you should start by washing the car, then drying. Next, use the clay in conjunction with the speed shine to remove any imperfections imbedded in the paint. At this point you will have removed all wax on the car.

Next, you will want to use the orange polishing pad with the machine polish. You should follow the instructions provided by Griot's for application procedure. Generally speaking, you want to work the polish until it's almost gone, then remove with a microfiber - keys here are to go slow and to be patient. I normally follow up with a spray of 50/50 water and alcohol mixture to remove any fillers added by the polish.

I have no clue how abrasive that polish/pad combo is, so it may do nothing, or it may be very helpful in reducing the swirls (also depends on how bad those are). It's your basic rinse and repeat using more passes of the current pad/polish combo, or increasing in intensity to remove the damage.

Like I said before, you probably won't get it all out.

After the surface prep is completed, you can use the pc to apply the wax, or apply by hand.

Under no circumstances would I use the PC to remove polish or wax. Just a personal opinion - I only use plush MF towels by hand.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
thanks for the extensive help... i have been using the cloth porter cable pad covers to remove the polish/wax as per griots instructions, but i feel that it may be causing some of the swirlmarks. I'm gonna try it the micro fiber way. Where is the best place to order microfiber towels? thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.