E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Steam Cleaning Rims

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  The 330i 
#1 ·
I did a search on this and didn't come up with much.

Anyone know if there are pro's and con's for steam cleaning your rims? :dunno: I'm thinking about buying one of those steam cleaners on tv and using them to clean my rims. It takes longer to clean my rims than to clean the whole car. Any info will help? TIA.
--cptpinoy

#2 ·
Hello CptPinoy,

CptPinoy said:
I did a search on this and didn't come up with much.

Anyone know if there are pro's and con's for steam cleaning your rims? :dunno: I'm thinking about buying one of those steam cleaners on tv and using them to clean my rims. It takes longer to clean my rims than to clean the whole car. Any info will help? TIA.
--cptpinoy
I do not know which steam cleaners you saw on TV, so I wouldn't be able to comment on said specific model.
However, in general, you should know two things.
1. "Effective" Steam Cleaning will not be friendly to the clearcoats of your rims. Especially with repeated use, you may find that what you thought as a "clean" rim will get even more difficult to clean. Like cleaning your car with a dish soap, at first you may be amazed how "clean" your rims are. Yet as you steam clean more and more, you will find your rims lose shine, get dirty even easier, and are harder to clean once they get dirty.
2. "Safe" Steam Cleaning is not "Effective." If you see someone or a device claiming that a specific steam cleaning process/device is "safe," you can safely assume [no pun intended] that it is not as effective as the first one. As a matter of fact, you may find cleaning rims yourself may achieve better result.

Try P21S (either liquid or gel), BMW Wheel Cleaner (which is a re-packaged P21S, I was told), Meguiar's Hot Rims, etc.
Then use Klasse AIO + SG.

This should safely clean and protect your rims.

Hope this helped,

#3 ·
The 330i said:
Hello CptPinoy,

I do not know which steam cleaners you saw on TV, so I wouldn't be able to comment on said specific model.
However, in general, you should know two things.
1. "Effective" Steam Cleaning will not be friendly to the clearcoats of your rims. Especially with repeated use, you may find that what you thought as a "clean" rim will get even more difficult to clean. Like cleaning your car with a dish soap, at first you may be amazed how "clean" your rims are. Yet as you steam clean more and more, you will find your rims lose shine, get dirty even easier, and are harder to clean once they get dirty.
2. "Safe" Steam Cleaning is not "Effective." If you see someone or a device claiming that a specific steam cleaning process/device is "safe," you can safely assume [no pun intended] that it is not as effective as the first one. As a matter of fact, you may find cleaning rims yourself may achieve better result.

Try P21S (either liquid or gel), BMW Wheel Cleaner (which is a re-packaged P21S, I was told), Meguiar's Hot Rims, etc.
Then use Klasse AIO + SG.

This should safely clean and protect your rims.

Hope this helped,
Thanks for the info. Looks like sticking to the good 'ol BMW Wheel Cleaner is the best bet. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Hello CptPinoy,

CptPinoy said:
Thanks for the info. Looks like sticking to the good 'ol BMW Wheel Cleaner is the best bet. Thanks again.
You're very welcome. Glad it was of any help.
Once you used BMW Wheel Cleaner, and thought your rims were clean enough, try Klasse AIO + SG. You may be surprised. :)

(The same goes to your car paint. When you used your favourite car wash, and thought your car was clean enough, try Klasse AIO + SG. You may thank me later. :) )

Sincerely,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.