E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Brakes?

958 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GarrettF 
#1 ·
I need to replace my front brakes. I really want to know what people are running besides Big Brake Kits. For example what upgraded rotors and brake bads combination I can choose.

TIA!

#4 · (Edited)
Daft said:
Get euro spec cross drilled rotors. Much better than US spec and you can get them at your dealer as it's OEM.
Reality-check time.

Euro-spec floating rotors have been proven to be of no advantage over US rotors.

They may look "cool" with the cross-drilling, but once again... hardcore enthusiasts know that cross-drilling has some major compromises and is generally best avoided in a street car application.

Savvy cross-marque enthusiasts will be aware that although Mercedes had introduced cross-drilled rotors on their street cars about 18 months ago, mnay failures and replacements (with solid rotors) have been noted for the classic reasons: cracking, decreased life, excessive pad wear, noise, and dust. And what's even more intesting is this quote from the D-C partnership itself:

"Mercedes is also using drilled and slotted rotors on some of its high performance models. The Chrysler engineers said they don't offer a significant improvement in cooling compared to a standard rotor, and are used primarily to enhance the "racing image" of the vehicle." - source

For more technical info, see:

http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part2.html

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-27.html

To improve braking performance without the expense of a big brake kit, consider a better pad - something like a Hawk HP-S or HP-Plus (there are other excellent choices out there, these are just two that I can recommend from personal experience). Stainless steel brake lines are also a good way to improve performance and pedal feel.

Let's also not forget the other importantant component of braking performance - the tires. Braking is simply converting mechanical energy into heat energy, and then dissipating it. Well, your car has two friction surfaces that deal with braking, the brake pads contacting the rotors is one of them. Tires contacting the road are the other. Sticky tires = good braking.

- Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.