Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software... - Page 138 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #2741
mgh-e34

My Ride: e34 M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreBXP View Post
MS43 won't let you hit the gas and brake at the same time; it'll cut throttle. It also has a different map when the clutch is pressed. Instead of grounding those pins out I was wondering if they can be coded out so that it always thinks the brake/clutch isn't depressed.

I'm swapping/swapped and m54b30 into an e36 and now I just have to finish programming the ECU. That's why I was also wondering about analog outputs for the non-CAN E36 cluster.
I have a m54b30 in my e34 very similar to e36 wiring.
I use E46 clutch switch.
I use e34 brake switch.
I use exhaust flap output of the ECU as check engine light. 512kb file changed.
fuel cons. connected to fuel injector 1 adjusted fuel cons in the instrument cluster code plug. do not know how to do it on e36.
I use e34 coolant temp sensor mounted in top radiator hose. could also use DOUBLE TEMPERATURE SWITCH 13621703993.
I use the 9 pulse speed signal from the rear axle. 512kb file changed.
I use an Arduino microcontroller as cruise control interface and a e34 cruise switch. 512kb file changed.
everything works perfectly.

Last edited by mgh-e34; 02-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.
mgh-e34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #2742
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh-e34 View Post
I have a m54b30 in my e34 very similar to e36 wiring.
I use E46 clutch switch.
I use e34 brake switch.
I use exhaust flap output of the ECU as check engine light. 512kb file changed.
fuel cons. connected to fuel injector 1 adjusted fuel cons in the instrument cluster code plug. do not know how to do it on e36.
I use e34 coolant temp sensor mounted top radiator hose. could also use DOUBLE TEMPERATURE SWITCH 13621703993.
I use the 9 pulse speed signal from the rear axle. 512kb file changed.
I use an Arduino as cruise control interface and a e34 cruise switch. 512kb file changed.
everything works perfectly.
Quiet a few are going to be interested in the solution, why don't you write a little excerpt on what to do in the wiki?
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #2743
corepax

My Ride: Bicyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Depending on the ecu you're going to use, you obviously need to adjust throttle actuation, both electrical and mechanical.
I'm using the MS43.

The reason I'm thinking of putting ITB's on is because I have S50 ITB's in my storage, together with everything I need. Injectors, fuel rail, airbox etc.

I also have the adapter drawing and my mate can CNC the aluminium adapter that's required.

Would you care to explain a bit more what you mean by adjust throttle actuation, both electrical and mechanical?

Last edited by corepax; 02-17-2017 at 01:32 PM.
corepax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #2744
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corepax View Post
I'm using the MS43.

The reason I'm thinking of putting ITB's on is because I have S50 ITB's in my storage, together with everything I need. Injectors, fuel rail, airbox etc.

I also have the adapter drawing and my mate can CNC the aluminium adapter that's required.

Would you care to explain a bit more what you mean by adjust throttle actuation, both electrical and mechanical?
Well, S50 Itb obviously is cable actuated whereas M54 throttle is drive by wire. So you either need to find a way to match MS43 to work with cable throttle or implement actuation from S54 throttle

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #2745
corepax

Quote:
Well, S50 Itb obviously is cable actuated whereas M54 throttle is drive by wire. So you either need to find a way to match MS43 to work with cable throttle or implement actuation from S54 throttle
You mean make the MS43 work with the S50 throttle position sensor?

As in, the sensor itself provides the same input as the electric gas paddle?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #2746
daniel_f.

Not the sensor, the actuation is the problem

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #2747
corepax

Quote:
Not the sensor, the actuation is the problem
The actuatin of the throttle body? Sorry english isn't my best side haha.

I can just use the normal traditional drive-by-wire gas-pedal and hook it up the the S50 throttlebody's?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #2748
rb01

My Ride: 323i 98 208HP->Turbo
Made maps to work without maf, but when i unplug maf sensor, gas pedal wount work and i see that on logger

Sent from my SM-G930F using E46Fanatics mobile app
rb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #2749
Stevesimpson94

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
For the timered exhaust popping mod.

What is the purpose of the engine speed hysteresis overrun cut off table? I do not understand that!

Why would using 7008 value in the 6km/h row make a difference?
cheers
Stevesimpson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #2750
mgh-e34

My Ride: e34 M54B30
Quote:
Quiet a few are going to be interested in the solution, why don't you write a little excerpt on what to do in the wiki?
I will try. There are many changes in the 512kb file. hard to describe.
can I upload the bin file to the wiki??
mgh-e34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 AM   #2751
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh-e34 View Post
I will try. There are many changes in the 512kb file. hard to describe.
can I upload the bin file to the wiki??
As lang as its working and the changes are mentioned
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #2752
e90Unicorn

My Ride: 2011 328i, 2001 325i
excited for updates coming soon. Im back into e46 stuff again, and was wondering which one was the favorite datalogging program now; Romraider, testo or BMWlogger

Last edited by e90Unicorn; 02-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
e90Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #2753
vanoshead

My Ride: e46
Siemens DEKA injectors from Volvo s40, 42lb. Anyone has review for this injectors?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using E46Fanatics mobile app
vanoshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #2754
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Unicorn View Post
excited for updates coming soon. Im back into e46 stuff again, and was wondering which one was the favorite datalogging program now; Romraider, testo or BMWlogger
I personally really like romraider.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #2755
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Unicorn View Post
Due to being configurable, i'd say Romraider. it's a bit more difficult to set up, but in the end it's worth it. If you're doing just some basic logging, all options are ok.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #2756
jcsbanks

My Ride: M54B25, N55B30
The updates are speed density with unlimited load and boost and realtime mapping of the fuel and ignition maps (which have been collapsed into two maps). I've done similar previously on Evo IX (open source), Nissan GT-R (for Cobb).

Realtime is working on the bench, a suitable fuel map has not yet been built as it needs to be based on datalogging and testing. The ECU runs the engine well at idle but have not tested switching over the engine load to the speed density strategy yet as I don't have ready access to an E46 to test with.

The motivation was for my own turbo project, but the fabrication for my RHD turbo build has not been done by me as I am not skilled in this area, but has been over a year so far, so not sure if it will happen for me personally - the manifold and turbo has been done but is too close to the chassis to allow the engine to move, the intercooler and pipes are nearly there, oil and coolant lines to be done and we are using an old engine and car that is unknown which is not a recipe for reliability or good testing.

I've put 2-3 months of full time work into MS43 over the last year, and would value some return on that to encourage me to do more as the work does get pushed out by paid work, but I wasn't sure how many people would pay say $100 for SD/realtime given the limited number that are doing FI MS43. If I took donations I fear from other projects I've seen that only 1% of users would donate but everyone would expect support. To implement robust security to lock the work to individual ECUs on an ECU that is as open as this MS43 to boot tools would probably also not be worth the ROI of the extra time involved to implement the security.

So I'm not sure of the best way to get it to the community whilst feeling some encouragement to do more on the platform and would value your thoughts. There are also contributions from other members of the development group with some amazing stuff for flashing full 512KB files quickly without opening the ECU and the software to drive realtime tuning, but I don't know yet their feelings on how or if to roll it out.

Other variants could include the realtime tuning without the SD/unlimited load. This as far as I can tell works properly but obviously needs more testing.

Last edited by jcsbanks; 02-20-2017 at 05:13 AM.
jcsbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #2757
Turpe

My Ride: 330ci
If your talking live maps and tuning, I'd put out $100, heck I'd go $200!! I believe this is the major hurdle keeping a good deal of people from going FI with the MS43. The lack of having a system to tune with or a tuner able to tune the ms43. That is without spending a chunk for a standalone. I'd prefer to keep the MS43 as it would make off boost drive ability good and a standard tune would be good to be able to get the car to a tuner off boost. Like with NIStune.
Speed density! Nice! What MAP can be used?
Turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #2758
sda2

My Ride: BMW E46 330i Touring
So, there is no more load limit after converting to sd/map? How big are the new maps for livetuning? 12x16?

Count me in for a "$$$-sponsored"-version, when it works with emission testing devices

Edit: I have a daily driven 330i with a wideband sensor for logging, so maybe that would be nice for creating a stock NA basemap.

Last edited by sda2; 02-20-2017 at 07:34 AM.
sda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #2759
jcsbanks

My Ride: M54B25, N55B30
12 x 16 single map for fuel. 16 x 20 single map for ignition. That is all that is in realtime and leaves 300 bytes free approx. For my own amusement, the other main table to go in there would be wastegate duty cycle based on manifold pressure vs engine speed. Maybe injector scaling/latency and some full load VANOS tables.

Load limit as high as your MAP sensor can read. Any MAP sensor can be used that outputs up to 5V, but initial scalings are based around GM 3 bar.

Re emissions, it will remain to be seen what is possible as it was designed around the needs of a circuit only car. If emissions compliance is possible with a MAF unplugged with a MAF fault code but no check engine light, then that might guide what is possible.

Last edited by jcsbanks; 02-20-2017 at 07:43 AM.
jcsbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #2760
Turpe

My Ride: 330ci
Nice!!
Turpe is offline   Reply With Quote