E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Aftermarket AMP in trunk, ALWAYS powered on

Hello,

My friend has an E90 335i that had an aftermarket amp installed prior to him buying the car.

Lately he has been experiencing a strong battery drain and determined that the aftermarket AMP is ALWAYS powered on! Any advice on how to make it so it switches off with the car?

I told him it sounds like it was directly wired to the battery, and it seems like it needs to be wired to an accessory so it goes out when the car powers down.

Any ideas on what to check or where to look other than the main wiring for the power on the amp?

He also said this: "it was already connected to the battery when the previous owner had a stereo system installed on BMWs dime when they mismanufactured the car and didn't do the logic 7 stereo system
so my buddy eric just kept the same wiring in place when i had to replace the amp a few years ago"

So it sounds like the old aftermarket amp **** the bed and he had to replace it with another amp, but did not touch the wiring.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Haug523

My Ride: Bmw E39 523
It needs a signal from the Head unit to turn on and off, or you could just connect a cable from the tail lights, the amp only need's a signal not a whole lot of power.
Haug523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
trizzuth

More information here, looks like it was all Alpine reference components and JL Audio amp 75W x 4. Installed in the car prior to his purchasing it for .... $4000!!!! dang.

I think something may have happened when his friend Eric helped him replace the blown JL amp with a new one. Stock amp is still in the car, but the new amp is up underneath the back window sill and all speakers wired to it up there.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Is the Alpine amp mounted right side up? Or is it mounted up side down?

Check the wiring. As noted the amp gets power at all times but it needs a "turn on" signal (12VDC) from the head unit to operate.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Hook up the remote wire to the headunit. It will turn on and off with the car. Only have the power in wire hooked directly to the battery

Last edited by Cayne23; 02-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
trizzuth

Turns out he's just slow. He sat and watched the amp and it shut down a minute or two after turning off the car. Why the delay?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics