E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bad csb??

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JamesSJ1 
#1 ·
Ive been trying to figure out a vibration issue ive been having. at first it felt like it was coming from the rear, then it felt like it was coming from the front. i currently have 129k miles, control arms and fcab (powerflex), rtab (powerflex), st coilovers, were all done at 92k miles. ive tried different sets of wheels / tires with no improvement in vibration. now im starting to think its coming from the driveline. it doesnt get worse with higher RPM's, but the whole car would shake at freeway speeds, not as noticeable around town. i crawled under the car today and this is what i saw:

guibo is starting to crack

oil residue at the joint

CSB doesnt look too bad, but feels pretty loose

is the driveshaft supposed to move this freely?

VIDEO LINK: https://vimeo.com/77566261

rear diff bushing, nice and tight

Please let me know what you think, any feedback would be appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a similar issue as well, but my vibration comes at lower speeds (<10mph). I haven't physically inspected my guibo, but I suspect that to be the issue. Also, CSB's usually tend to cause vibration at higher speeds so you may be right. You might as well replace both while you have the exhaust dropped. Wouldn't hurt to inspect your tranny mounts also. Not sure what could be causing the leakage, which has me wondering if my driveshaft exhibits that too.

#5 ·
I have a similar issue as well, but my vibration comes at lower speeds (<10mph). I haven't physically inspected my guibo, but I suspect that to be the issue. Also, CSB's usually tend to cause vibration at higher speeds so you may be right. You might as well replace both while you have the exhaust dropped. Wouldn't hurt to inspect your tranny mounts also. Not sure what could be causing the leakage, which has me wondering if my driveshaft exhibits that too.
Incorrect. A failed center support bearing will cause low rpm rumbles/slapping and fade out as the speed increases. It is more notable from a dead stop and punching it.

#3 ·
Given that the residue is located directly in line with the U-joint, I would be concerned about the bearings in that joint. If it were my car, I would replace the guibo, the CSB, and feel carefully for any play or rough motion in the U-joint. Consider a re-built drive shaft.

Based on my experience, the wear to the guibo and CSB is probably worse than it appears. When no parts are moving, those joints are all unloaded. However, apply engine torque and those "cracks" in the guibo will look more like the tears that they are.

The longer you drive with driveline vibrations, the quicker you will grenade your tranny and or diff.

Good luck!

#4 · (Edited)
Both the CSB and Giubo need to be replaced. No it is not supposed to move that much, but even a new support will have some movement.

The u-joint grease fling is quite normal for any mileage. Check that the joint has no play in it and reinstall. There are very few driveline rebuilds that are worth a damn... buy new if there is significant play (even a little is ok for quite some time). Also clean the rear CV completely, regrease and reinstall a new mating surface seal.

As far as grenading your diff or transmission... unlikely.

#6 · (Edited)
So I replaced the csb and guibo. The driveline has just as much play as with the old csb. Also replaced transmission mounts and steering coupler. Took it for a spin and an still experiencing vibration.

The whole car shakes at freeway speeds. Around town it's not as noticeable. Next I plan on changing out the Fcab to OEM to see if that will absorb some of the vibration.

Not sure what else it can be. Didn't notice anything unusual under the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#12 ·
I have the exact same issue I have searched the forums high and dry and not one person had a fix except for one guy who said he changed his power steering pump and it went away. I do notice my steering is a bit stiff when not moving and does have a little bit of a whine when I move the steering wheel while not driving... Nobody has an answer?! Just bought my car 2 days ago this is the only thing wrong

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#13 · (Edited)
i would replace that guibo it looks horrible. the csb needs to be changed too, thats WAY too much play. my csb looked like it was new and felt almost the same as the new one I swapped in but the new one fixed my thud and vibration when taking off. id replace both parts and see if it fixes the issue they need to be replaced regardless or itll wear out your driveshaft joints.

I did the CSB and guibo/flex disc without dropping the exhaust just undid hangars and slid both halves of the driveshaft out through the back. used a hammer and screwdriver to get the old csb off the driveshaft and used the other half of driveshaft as a slide hammer to get the new csb back into place. dont forget to take the clip thing off the csb or it wont come out and replace it to the new csb.

as for guibo, the arrows need to point to the part being bolted on. so if you are bolting the driveshaft to the guibo in one of the 3(?) spots the arrow needs to point towards the driveshaft. if you are bolting the guibo to the transmission flange the arrow needs to point to the transmission. http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/pictures/flex_disc_installation.jpg

#14 · (Edited)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but figured I would post here rather than starting a new one.

What I have: 2006 M3 'vert, only 32,500 miles.

Sadly, didn't read up enough on guibo / CSB problems, and noticed the vibrations only once during the test drive (at 29,800 miles) and didn't drive enough the first 30 days after buying when the dealership had a 30-day major systems warranty that would have fixed it for me. Almost 3k miles later, it's somewhat worse, giving me thumping as the clutch engages into first gear (if I push aggressively from a stop, the thumping prevents solid clutch engagement by almost a full second), and again at 33-38mph, possibly a little less noticeable at 73-78mph (pretty damn near close to 2x the speed of the first oscillations). I'm assuming that with the car ~9 years old (Feb 2006 build), even with the low mileage, that some of these rubber parts have probably deteriorated and need to be replaced.

Questions: Planning to DIY, already seen the Bokchoys.com DIY, and don't have a third car to drive if I get in there to replace the Guibo, and find that I also need a CSB. Should I just assume both are probably shot, buy both (probably from RMEuropean) and replace them? Are there other bushings/parts that I should be checking and replacing that are more age-sensitive than necessarily mileage sensitive? E.g. some have mentioned Diff bushings, and some others, but I don't know how to tell if those are bad and hate replacing parts that aren't bad if not necessary, but don't want to drop the driveshaft/exhaust twice which is why I'm already figuring on replacing both Guibo and CSB at the same time. Also, what is this I hear about "updated" diff bolts? Would that apply to a 2006?

Thanks in advance!

Update: to confirm, correct part#'s are flex disc: 26-11-2-226-527, and CSB 26-12-2-282-495. Are those right? Should I also buy 6 new locknuts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.