E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Subframe cracking - class action

G'day fellow Aussie E46 owners.

I'm the proud owner of a 2004.5 E46 m3 which sadly has been diagnosed with the infamous subframe cracking that all E46's seem prone too. My car was recently assessed by BMW Australia and their preferred body shop (Panel One) and subsequently refused for repair.

The email refusing the repair advised that as my car had 'been to various dealers around Australia on very limited occasions' 'due to the age, mileage, limited dealer servicing and not being the original owner we will not assist with any goodwill for this repair'. This came from Trent Moore who I understand is the servicing manager for BMW NSW.

I addressed each of Trent's observations in my email to him this morning, to wit:-

Dear Mr Moore,

I am the owner of the above mentioned vehicle that was recently refused by your goodself for a structural subframe cracking repair.

I would like to comment on your email to Matt Rosenthal at BMW Rushcutters Bay dated 15th October 2013.

In your email you cite a number of reasons for your refusal and I would like to address each.

1. Service History. Since taking ownership of the vehicle the car has been serviced at least twice between each required service interval. Additionally the oil and filters are changed every 7,000 klms with the correct TWS oil and OEM filters. In short, I am a meticulous owner and have been gradually bringing this car back to its best since taking ownership.

2. The car is less than 10 years of age. The age I understand manufacturers will typically stand behind structural warranty claims in Australia and around the world, notably the United States.

3. Mileage. The car is driven substantially less than the average Australian motor vehicle and its mileage, for its age, is considered low.

4. Ownership/Goodwill. Yes, I am not the original owner. However for a car that was sold into the market at +$142,000, for which I paid $65,000 a little over 2 years ago I am concerned that an organisation like BMW Australia would not wish to stand behind what has for many years been considered its hero model. The M3.
Additionally, this is my 5th BMW and my wife currently drives a 2007 BMW X3. Collectively my company, my wife, and I have spent over $500,000 on BMW vehicles.

I am aware of a number of BMW E46ís all of which are showing the same structural defect. Several are not M3ís. I will be liaising with those owners, the Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) and the BMW Owners Club of Australia (of which I am a long time member) to ensure all of our cars are not subject to a structural defect notice by the RMS. I have been advised the issue is considered a potential safety defect by a Mechanical Engineer and as such should not have been sold into the Australian market, at all, manufactured in such a manner.

I would welcome your comments to the above mentioned as frankly speaking the arbitrary manner in which this issue was refused, after receiving a quote to repair it, suggests the issue of safety is not considered, nor is brand reputation. Rather the motivation appears to be financial only.

ends.

I am not a lawyer but know with some confidence that BMW are obliged to correct this issue, not least due the safety of the owners, but also due the impact to their own brand / market goodwill.

I have a copy of the quote to repair the issue and Panel One in Alexandria have quoted $6,600 to repair it with cavity expansion foam. The fact that BMW sought a quote to repair it suggests to me they acknowledge the cars have an issue but without a collective voice don't feel inclined to assist.

I would ask that anyone that has an issue posts their details here. I intend taking this further and feel that with a large enough group of owners we just might get BMW AU to realise they have a duty of care. Not only to all E46 owners, but to their parent company. Who place significant value on their brands reputation, particularly here in Australia where a multiple of what is charged for our cars overseas is charged here.

cheers,
Matt
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
good luck mate!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Good luck! Let us know how you go. I haven't reinforced my subframe/mounts yet but I'm thinking of doing it. The thing holding me back was this 10 year structural warranty, but if you're saying that BMW Australia won't repair it out of goodwill...hmm. I know a few people lately have been reinforcing them. How many cracks do you have and how big are they?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Good luck with your endeavours to get it repaired. Like Eric says, its a popcorn moment. It was a still a nervous wait to see if they would cover it back when the cars were only a few years old and getting 100% dealer serviced.

Deal direct with BMW Australia because you have no dealer goodwill so they wont do much to support your case, it isn't in there interest if you aren't buying from them or servicing there and they would only be making $40 a year off you from filters so by dealing with BMW Aus you can sell your case for goodwill in its true meaning in that you provide an intangible benefit to them by being a brand ambassador.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Re: Subframe cracking - class action

Good luck.
I had mine paid for in 2009 and mine is a late 99, right on the 10 year limit. But at the same time people were being denied with much younger cars. Mine had full BMW service history until my ownership but at a Sydney dealership, I dunno.
I dealt with Doncaster BMW. Took a long time to get it sorted.

Seems to be getting harder and harder for it to be covered.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
SKR7

thanks guys. keep them coming. Arbitrarily covering one car and not another is ludicrous. Its a structural and therefore safety issue, BMW should address it collectively and not leave it to individuals within their group to make decisions based on assumptions.

At this point I can only see a single hairline crack which suggests if I can see one, there are more. In fact, enough for BMW Rushcutters to send it off for assessment.

Last edited by SKR7; 10-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.
SKR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
thanks guys. keep them coming. Arbitrarily covering one car and not another is ludicrous. Its a structural and therefore safety issue, BMW should address it collectively and not leave it to individuals within their group to make decisions based on assumptions.

At this point I can only see a single hairline crack which suggests if I can see one, there are more. In fact, enough for BMW Rushcutters to send it off for assessment.
I can understand an argument from BMW saying they won't cover the full amount if damage is extensive and they argue would've been picked up earlier had the vehicle been serviced by BMW. Your description doesn't sound like that's the case though..

Good luck with the fight, I hope you get a quick resolution.

If it makes you feel any better the previous owner of my car paid 14k to fix the subframe in my M..

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
$6600 for foam? damn.

i cant help you with your quest to get BMW to cover it, and i wish you all the best. Unfortunately that class action lawsuit occurred in the US and not here so i dont think they are under any legal obligation to do anything about it. But maybe if you make enough noise they'll come to the party.

FYI i also found a crack, my car is much older (late 02 build) but is still covered by the statutory second hand vehicle warranty from when i bought it. I sought some quotes and the repairer that BMW in SA used gave me 2 prices. One is the BMW official repair (weld in new floor pan) and that was around 10 grand. The other was to fit re-enforcement plates (redish in this case). That was $2300 labour with plates to be provided by customer. At no point did they suggest foam, i had actually thought they stopped doing that.

Plates work out to be around $330 shipped to AUS. I gave all that info to the car dealer, let him have the car for the day to get it all checked out to his satisfaction, and he was happy to go that way. win / win.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I can understand an argument from BMW saying they won't cover the full amount if damage is extensive and they argue would've been picked up earlier had the vehicle been serviced by BMW. Your description doesn't sound like that's the case though..

Good luck with the fight, I hope you get a quick resolution.

If it makes you feel any better the previous owner of my car paid 14k to fix the subframe in my M..
lol i remember you going through all the receipts

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
SKR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Ouch the previous owner must have had a mind snap. I can't imagine anyone charging anything like that....
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
Ouch the previous owner must have had a mind snap. I can't imagine anyone charging anything like that....
Mine was just shy of 20k back in mid 2007.

Search for 02_PRUV subframe repair and do that if you are intending to keep the car.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
lol i remember you going through all the receipts
My favourite was $110 for mounting number plates! #ballsohard

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
Good luck.
I had mine paid for in 2009 and mine is a late 99, right on the 10 year limit. But at the same time people were being denied with much younger cars. Mine had full BMW service history until my ownership but at a Sydney dealership, I dunno.
I dealt with Doncaster BMW. Took a long time to get it sorted.

Seems to be getting harder and harder for it to be covered.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
I believe that BMW has a list of which cars are what they consider --'defects in the manufacture' (also know as under engineered)---- and it is by model and year. I suspect that high on that list is the 1999/2000/2001 years, and perhaps limited to certain models such as the 328, but not the "M" series which they probably consider subject to more abuse and aggressive driving. Also because you are not the original owner will downgrade your claim. I am saying that based on extensive research on this issue.
Good luck mate. It is a shame that an owner is faced with this. I would recommend that the fix be done via weld method, and not the epoxy method.
It would be interesting to see BMW's statistics on this defect, worldwide by model and year. It most likely confirms what I state above.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
BigBoyBosnia

My Ride: BMW e46 330Ci
Subframe cracking - class action

Lovely read.

I have a 330Ci 2000.5 model. At times I hear some slight crackling sounds coming from the rear, most of the time around corners. It only has an amazing 105k on the speedo !

I should be worried yes, but how worried should I be is the better question. I never much thought into the subframe regardless of the fact that I've read many many related issues :/

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BigBoyBosnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #16
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBosnia View Post
Lovely read.

I have a 330Ci 2000.5 model. At times I hear some slight crackling sounds coming from the rear, most of the time around corners. It only has an amazing 105k on the speedo !

I should be worried yes, but how worried should I be is the better question. I never much thought into the subframe regardless of the fact that I've read many many related issues :/

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I would be concerned. The E46 (330Ci) from all my research is within the prime years and models, although the Ci is not as common as the "i" (sedan) for some reason. Mileage of 105k I would think is not going to be a consideration since I have heard of people getting this problem at lower mileage. And, one may accelerate this if they are an aggressive driver, not to imply that an conservative drive will avoid this problem.
Do what BMW recommends---take the car in for an inspection of possible sub-frame cracks. That will tell you if the problem exists today, but not about next month. I understand that the problem in the E46 is more lightly to show-up in the rear left area and may be as tiny as fine cracks that are almost unnoticeable to the inexperienced person, to much greater ones. It also MAY show up in the trunk (and definitely will if it gets bad)--remove the liner, everything on top of the tire---and look around edges on the cab side edge just above the tire. check all welts carefully, are they broken, then remove the tire and check under tire. There is a internet video someone made on this.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
selien

My Ride: 330CI
should have bought a vert, less hassles, more pu55y = win.

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
If it helps, I had my 2000 build 323i covered in 2009 despite a incomplete service history, multiple owners, and resprayed paintwork from new bumpers.
Work was done by BMW Bodyshop in Port Melbourne and BMW Aus footed the entire bill.
I have some of the correspondence, and all the receipts from that work somewhere
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
msbhvn

My Ride: Coupe
I had mine repaired by BMW as well, they replaced the whole rear floor section. If you need vin number or anything I'd be glad to supply.

Best of luck, I eventually said I was going to a lawyer and they reneged and repaired after initial refusal. I also provided BMW documentation on this forum about the USA class action.
msbhvn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlock View Post
$6600 for foam? damn.

i cant help you with your quest to get BMW to cover it, and i wish you all the best. Unfortunately that class action lawsuit occurred in the US and not here so i dont think they are under any legal obligation to do anything about it. But maybe if you make enough noise they'll come to the party.

FYI i also found a crack, my car is much older (late 02 build) but is still covered by the statutory second hand vehicle warranty from when i bought it. I sought some quotes and the repairer that BMW in SA used gave me 2 prices. One is the BMW official repair (weld in new floor pan) and that was around 10 grand. The other was to fit re-enforcement plates (redish in this case). That was $2300 labour with plates to be provided by customer. At no point did they suggest foam, i had actually thought they stopped doing that.

Plates work out to be around $330 shipped to AUS. I gave all that info to the car dealer, let him have the car for the day to get it all checked out to his satisfaction, and he was happy to go that way. win / win.
You are say "10 grand" (about US $10,000) to weld. In the US the dealer will charge just short of US $5,000 but I am not sure if that is foam (epoxy) or welding. Based on research and experience, it will take about 10 or 12 hours to do it properly--which I believe is to weld, not the epoxy. Not an engineer, but epoxy got to be a weaker fix. I saw on the official US BMW site that they have listed the fix as Epoxy. I would use the Turner Kit with several plates and great instructions made especially for this, costs about $120 US plus shipping.
Just wondering if cost are much high in Australia compared to US. $10,000 vs in US the job is half that cost. For a point of reference, how much does the dealer charge an hour. How much is a dealer oil change?