E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
Daves Minimal Build/Progress thread

Hi all, Welcome to my awesome, highly humourous and insightful account of how I turned a stock, mystic blue 330Ci into one of the most highly tuned motor cars seen on Australian roads today.

So, grab yourself a cup of milo and a couple of tim tams, pull up a blanket and get comfortable. This is going to be some ride.

This story begins in the small, hamlet of Wangaratta in 2010. I had been ploughing through the crap of carsales for months, looking for a car that seemingly didn't exist. Was it really too much to ask for a manual, 330ci face lift of the fabled E46 super coupe in mystic blue?

It was early one morning. The frost crunched under my feet as I trudged from my work car to the construction site in Rutherglen; claim to fame being it delicious, world famous parker pies. Do try one. But only once you finish your tim tams.
Every morning I checked carsales for updates. Low and behold, there she was. What was it you say? See above. It was in Sydney. Had travelled 129,000 stress free kilometers and seemed to be everything I had ever wanted. It was priced at $29000. For a late 04 model, this was a bargain price. I knew that I had to have it.

Fast forward 12 hours and the car was mine. In my driveway. Under my name!! It was a great find.

I had wanted an E46 coupe for various reasons but mainly, I loved the good value cruiseability of this fine German piece of engineering.

Wheels: It didn't take long for the modification bug to take hold. Wheels of choice would be 19 inch CSL resp wrapped in liquorice strap Kumho Ecsta KU31s. The size? 19 by 8.5 at the front and fat 19 by 9.5 at the rear. It filled out the guards nicely. The roadholding and handling after this mod? I can only describe it as a step in the wrong direction. It did look good though. Isn't that all that counts?

After enjoying the sublime looks and poor handling for a couple of months, I came to the conclusion that it was time to rework the suspension. Despite being covered it dust, it was time to pull out old bertha, the nine inch grinder....... only joking.

After recommendations from forum members and trusted, long term sponsors 'Worx', I settled on a set of BC coil overs. At the same time, I fitted Turner Motorsport Sway Bars front and rear. They represented good value for money. I also recommend these parts. Call me!!

Next came the shifter. This was one of the most disappointing aspects of the original car. Loose was an understatement. It was sloppier that a hookers vag after a long night with six, lonely well hung sailors. Unlike the whore, my shifter could be tightened with an engineering upgrade. My choice? A UUC short shifter and linkage. I also added a bit of bling with a weighted ZHP gear knob.

Clutch: As anyone who drives an E46 manual will know, the OEM clutch is of the dual mass variety and resulted in tardy performance and feel. Basically, its crap!! To overcome these issues and allow the engine to spool up faster, I fitted a lightened UUC flywheel and kevlar clutch kit for the big daddy M5 range. Oh Yeah!!! This was the best upgrade to date. The engine seemed to have a new lease of life. There was less inertia and better feel through the pedal.

Stage One was now complete: The car had gone from stock but neat to kind of stock and still neat. Cost for this stockness and neatness? $7500. Money well spend.

How's that milo going? Time for a top up?

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
selien

My Ride: 330CI
your cars a pos, **** off

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Davconelectric

Click image for larger version

Name:	11714673.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	521008

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	521009

Name:	IMG_2787.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	521010

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	521011

Name:	DSC_0229.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	521012

Name:	DSC_0236.jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	521013Photographs of Stage One:
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Davconelectric

Stage 2:

A little less stockness. A little move Athletism.

Most of the mods completed up to this stage was completed before I had met any of the forum members, seeked advice or revelled in an E46 drive day. Just thinking about it makes me moist.

It didn't take long for me to realise that right hand drive headers was near impossible to get. Yet, if I was going to unleash the full performance from one of the worlds great inline sixs, I was going to have to finance a build myself. After much online research and emailing, it soon dawned on me that this could curtail the whole project. Who would help? In a last ditched effort, I appointed a local exhaust builder to fabricate a custom set from the same metal used to forge excalibur. That **** is hard. Once the headers were in place, the decision was made to have them ceramic coated for improved thermal efficiency. The stock exhaust was left in place. She was beginning to purrrrrrrrrrrr!!

To match the freer breathing exhaust, work was needed on the inlet side. A stage 2 AFE pod filter kit was ordered and installed. The difference felt was minimal.

Growing up driving hot Cortinas and Toranas, I missed the rough, erratic idle, vibrations and general lack of refinement. It was time to restore the faith. To help, I next installed a set of stage 4 Schrick Camshafts. This was despite numerous professionals telling me it was a absurd idea!! What did they know!!
The car still looked neat. It was definitely a little less stock. But by golly it idled like a pig!!

To ensure more rough idle performance was getting to the rear wheels, it was time to reduce losses through the many auxiliary systems hanging off the donk. Imagine aborginals on wellfare taking hard earned tax payer money to understand what I'm talking about. Get rid of the crap and everything works better. Only a matter of weeks after fitting the cams, Turner Motorsport under drive pulleys were installed. Was there a difference? Not really but I just wanted to mention petrol sniffing abo's in my thread.

End of stage 2. Money spent so far to get a neat car idling like a pig? An extra $5000. Grand total so far. $12500.

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Davconelectric

Stage 3: How to Make Pig Squeal

I now was the proud owner of a rattling bucket of bolts that owed me a not insignificant $41500!! ****!! Should have bought an M3!

Where to now? I was too far into the project to stop now. If I couldn't have an M3, it was time to make my rig look a littler more M3ish. I had taken delivery of a rear diffuser from Germany. it was designed to fit the standard Mtech 2 rear bar and accomodate quad exhaust tips. Glenroy Exhausts came to the party. They installed a complete, custom exhaust system from the headers back to the four diamond encrusted, gold plated tips from the hubble telescope. To keep EPA officers happy - if they are reading this - the cats remained in place!! Hahahaha!!

My drive home was a headache. Not only did it shake side to side when ideling at the lights but the drone at 2000rpm which equated to 100km/h in sixth gear was deafening. I actually considered selling the car at this stage. What had I done????

Talking to Eric (aka E46 coupe) at a meet, he suggested lifting the revs at any given speed by changing the rear diff ratio. This would also improve the performance. His vast knowledge allowed him to suggest that I hunt for a complete M3 rear end. Was I successful? Yes. The rest of the car is still sitting on the western ringroad. This explains the traffic flow problems.

To ensure the rear end integrity was maintained, I fitted Turner Motorsport sub frame reinforcement plates. Given how crucial this job was to the enjoyment of the whole car, I decided to enlist the help of a professional mechanical engineer. Someone with years of welding and metal work fabrication. experience. Me!!

At the same time, the brakes were upgraded all round. This included braided lines, cross drilled rotors front and rear, and high temp pads and brake fluid. A Turner Motorsport wheel stud conversion kit was fitted prior to fitting new wheels. By now, the CSL reps were a little to common!! They were thrown on the scrap heap. In their place came a ricey set of TE37 reps. The same size and off set was maintained. Why ruin a poor handling car by trying something different.

Oh. I almost forgot. Rear Turner Motorsport adjustable camber arms were installed for that 'Back to the Future Delorean hover craft' look. Sweet!!

After these running changes, the drone was tolerable. The LSD was awesome. The acceleration had also improved although first gear was very short and almost useless.

Did she look neat? Not so much. It was more boy racer. Did she ride well? Better. Did she handle? Getting there.

Cost for this averageness? Up to this point I had spent a staggering $52000. Stage 3 had cost 10k!!

Happy Days!!

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Davconelectric

Photos for stage 3 and beyond

[attach]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	521015

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	521016

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	521017

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	521018

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	521019

Name:	P8100025.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	521020[/attach]
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!

I got recognition!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Davconelectric

Stage 4: Getting the Car to it Current State

Are cars a waste of money? Do they take money that is never returned? Absolutely. Do they provide hours of pleasure, a way to meet new people with similar interests and are they are conversation starter? Definitely. Therefore they aren't really a waste of money. More an expensive toy.

I was heading off on holidays. The car was was in the garage and was now on carsales again. I had made the decision to sell her. Despite it owing me the wrong side of 50k, the asking price was only 25k. And it would come with a heap of spares and stock parts.

Did I find a buyer. I sure did. He was ready to buy. In fact, he did buy it. For a few hours. We had agreed on a price, shaken hands and a deal had been done.

That night, I woke in a cold cold sweat. I was nauseous, my skin was pale and clammy and my heart was racing. Was I dying?

No..... I missed my car. Even though it was still in the garage. It may have been 2am and I may have felt rubbish but I got up, staggered to the garage and gave her a little kiss. I had changed my mind. The car was not for sale. Why? I already had everything that I wanted. A car that I could modify. A car that would provide me with enjoyment. A car that would get admiring looks where ever I went.

The next day, I woke, had a delicious hearty breakfast, walked the cat, fed the horses and then rang the buyer and apologised. The car was not for sale. He understood my passion. Maybe he works for Shannons Insurance!!

As it happened, Brendan, the potential buyer was planning an epic 330 build and had a warehouse full of quality, high grade parts, ready and waiting for a new donor car. Without a car, he now had no use for the parts. His loss became my gain as he started looking for an M3.

A week later, his high grade, ESS TS2 supercharger kit, dr vanos vanos kit, rad engineering engine covers, samco hoses, BMW performance intake, as well as general maintenance items were sitting in my garage ready to go on the car.

This was a great opportunity to overhaul the cooling system. All components were ordered from clickable BMW parts online. Thanks Lukas. You're a good cobbler!!

Off came the front bumper and inlet manifold. On went the above performance parts, new radiator, coils and leads. (Oh ****, that was the torana, no leads here).

After early teething problems, the car was spooling nicely. The 7psi pulley provided good mid range shove but only remained for two days before it joined the CSL reps. In its place went an 8.5 psi pulley. Why? Why not!!

After all these mods, the car still looked boy racer, especially with red slashes on the engine cover. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance gains however. As was the owner of the 458 Italia which was left at the lights. As I said at the start of this thread, it really is a jet. Something to be proud of. Haha.

The current tune the car is running is only the flash tune ESS provide for the 8.5 psi pulley. With the cams in place, work is needed to extract maximum performance. Once this is done, even Bugatti Veyron drivers will have a fight on their hands.

After a three year build, and hours spend toiling away, and even more just starring into space, what can I say? This car now owes me over 60k.

Another way of looking at this is that the car has only cost 10k per year in mods. Not bad when you consider the amount of fun and enjoyment the car and fitting of the mods has bought me. My hearing will never recover but that is a small price to pay.

Stand by for stage 5.

In the meantime, I am sure your milo is finished and the tim tam packet is empty. I hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport

Great write up! Can't wait to see the car

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Great write up Dave. Interesting to see the direction of your car and you changing your mind about selling her. I'm sure I'd be the same when it comes to sell. Cars are definitely a money pit, but as long as it's enjoyable and rewarding I'll continue to mod mine. What plans you have for stage 5? BBK would be good to match the increased power. How do you find the Turner Motorsport camber arms? Might get a set later. I assume you got the rubber end ones?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Davconelectric

Name:	P8100013.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	521023

Name:	P8100017.jpg
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	521024

Name:	P8100016.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	521025

Name:	P8100020.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	521026
Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Davconelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
Great write up Dave. Interesting to see the direction of your car and you changing your mind about selling her. I'm sure I'd be the same when it comes to sell. Cars are definitely a money pit, but as long as it's enjoyable and rewarding I'll continue to mod mine. What plans you have for stage 5? BBK would be good to match the increased power. How do you find the Turner Motorsport camber arms? Might get a set later. I assume you got the rubber end ones?
Maybe a big brake kit, but not at this stage, the fresh m3 brakes are ok for general road use. Perhaps if I track it I will need to address this issue. The camber arms are a nice bit of work. I'm sure you could get cheaper ones, but tms is a trusted brand. Yes I got the rubber end ones. I'll do a list of the stage 5 future mods shortly.

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Davconelectric

Stage 4.5: Moving Forward

Good morning all. As you settle in to a hearty breakfast, feel free to ignore the morning paper and instead, have a laugh and being informed by my latest instalment of turning a luxury sports coupe into a road warrior of the highest calibre.

I have been asked where I am going from here. What are my future plans. Hopefully the next few paragraphs will provide you with the necessary inspiration to get off the couch and into the garage with a socket set.

Performance: The addition of the supercharger in stage 4 made the quad tipped exhaust even louder. It really doesn't have a sweet sound either. More like a school boy having his screams muffled by the local catholic priest. To sort this problem, I plan to fit a M3 rear muffler and mid section. This should provide a sound akin to the boy singing in the choir before being grabbed from behind by a priest.

To fit the muffler, the rear spare wheel well is going to have to be removed. Looks like bertha will get another opportunity to shine.

Body: My plans are to install a Vorsteiner bonnet that has been sitting in the spare room for months. Made of carbon fibre, this will reduce the cars mass. It is still to be painted in matching mystic blue. I also have a CSL replica boot lid. Once again that also needs to be painted. By fitting both at the same time, I will ensure the 50: 50 weight distribution is maintained. If you don't believe me, watch BMW commercials. I have M3 mirrors but have yet to commit to the changes. What do you think?

Engine: A front mounted oil cooler with braided lines will be fitted within the next few weeks. Why? It looks cool. To allow me to monitor engine performance and health, 3 AEM gauges will be installed. These will cover boost, oil pressure and oil temperature. I am yet to decide where these will be fitted. Any suggestions?

I am also yet to decide exact plans for the front seats. The options are either to retain the current standard seats but increase the side bolstering or fit a set of recaro sportster cs buckets. At close to 5k for the pair, I think money can be better spent elsewhere. The 5k cost would include the Recaros being trimmed in the same Nappa leather as the standard car.

Time for another coffee? How were your eggs?

Last night I took the car of for a run. And..... gave it a hiding. On return it had developed a slight vibration. I think (hope) it is nothing more than the exhaust touching the floor pan. Surely, the engineering integrity means it wouldn't be the rear end???

Feel free to give me suggestions. In the meantime, what are you waiting for. If your not banging your wife or significant other, get out there. And tear it up.

God Bless.

Last edited by Davconelectric; 08-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Tiag46

My Ride: e46

Quality

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Davconelectric

Name:	P4010001.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	521130

Name:	P4010006.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	521131

Name:	P4010004.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	521132
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
E46 Coupe

Guibo? Because they're crap...
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
selien

My Ride: 330CI
So Im at Daves place the other day, eating burnt lamb shanks with some cheap red wine, when I'm constantly G'ing him up about how he cant drive and his car is sheeeet.
It works and he decides to empty the driveway of his work vehicle to take out this so called "beast" to show off its power.

We cruise around, 5-10 below the limit, "Oh i gotta let it warm up because there's this squeal and I dont know where its coming from and it goes away after a while but comes back" he tells me.
The whole car feels like its ready to fall apart, the engine feels more tough and firm but the car itself, the ride and bumpiness, it feels like your gonna be thrown outside of the car.

We hit some empty dusty road out in the country and he thrashes it from 60 to 200kmh, yeap, 200kmh the needle just climbed to 200 like watching one of those stop watches that run smoothly and don't tick, climb up.. it got there pretty well, not fast or slow but it got there with ease and it felt it had more to go. At the same time I'm begging for a Highway patrol car to see this and impound this hoon off the road, but does it happen? No that **** only happens to me.

Seeing the needle at 200kmh, oncoming traffic headlights, kangaroo country and knowing Dave's driving ability, (Ive seen him lose it from stand stills to 20-30kmh and end up on the other side of the road 3 times), I asked him to slow down.

"Yeah bro, that seemed good but you were already almost halfway there when you punched it" I said, the real test is how fast can you do 0-100 and a 1/4 mile, as we couldn't test the quarter mile Dave was easy to G-up, he slowed down and came to a complete stop.

He throws it first and is ready to punch it, revving the **** out of it, out came my trusty Samsung Galaxy S3 with a built in stop watch feature, Dave's all hyped up, revving it and waiting for me to say "go go go go!!!"
I get all ready and I tell him, I will count to 3, on 3 you go and I hit start on this stop watch.
Dave looks at me wit this huge smile on his face, ear to ear, it was the same smile he gave me after his girl anally penetrated him with a dildo "ok" he said to me, real anxious and girlie like.
"1... 2.... 3!!!!" I yell, Dave, the Peter Brock of BMW, drops it and puts his pedal to the metal, the car screams and comes to life and that squealing sound returns, sounding like its ready to blow.

.025 seconds go past...were still in the same spot
.050 seconds go past... were still in the same spot
.1 seconds go past.... yup same spot
.5 seconds go past... as above
.75 seconds go past.. same spot but a slight surge forward about half a metre
1 second goes past... you can feel the traction now gripping on
1.25 seconds go past and were off and racing!!!!!
8.90 seconds later, the car reaches 0-100kmh.

Congrats you clown, you just spent 50k making your car slower than stock, how do you feel?

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE

Last edited by selien; 08-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Wasn't there a member here who has a non-M but turned it into an M look-alike with the csl boot, bonnet and quad tips? green BBK too? Who was that?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
E46 Coupe

Hahahaha!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
Wasn't there a member here who has a non-M but turned it into an M look-alike with the csl boot, bonnet and quad tips? green BBK too? Who was that?
Johnny KCR? Dunno what that has to do with this tho?