E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
right, I'll just take your word for it.
Reaed the text and the articles of confederation. It is discussed and explicitly stated. Government can't grant rights it does not first possess. Law 101 kid

Last edited by Act of God; 08-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
You should look up "abrogated"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
You should look up "abrogated"
Let me ask you this then, if the Constitution/BoR does not grant rights, then why did the states insist that they had rights that were beyond the Constitution and that the states would not ratify unless the federal congress recognized those rights and hence the subsequent creation of the BoR? Which, in my interpretation, granted and protected those rights.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2013 at 04:24 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The constitution does not grant rights. There is no interpretation. You're wrong.
Ergo, it is the inalienable right of Congress to lay and collect taxes from income.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
that could also be interpreted as since the states insisted that they had rights that were beyond the constitution that they felt were natural born, they wouldn't ratify unless congress protected these natural born rights
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
MDydinanM

More Modern Way of Living (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
that could also be interpreted as since the states insisted that they had rights that were beyond the constitution that they felt were natural born, they wouldn't ratify unless congress protected these natural born rights
I agree with you. I considered the same thing too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current: 08 e60 BMW DINAN ///M5 Interlagos Blue SMG
DINAN 3.91 Differential, Stage 2 Suspension, Free-flow exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
High Flow Air mass meters and intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, RPI Scoops. 12.5mm TMS Spacers
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
MDydinanM

Quote:
Reaed the text and the articles of confederation. It is discussed and explicitly stated. Government can't grant rights it does not first possess. Law 101 kid
Did they not teach you in Law 101 different theories of jurisprudence? That the Constitution is a complex document that tie together different theories and themes from history as such?

Let me ask you this question.

If the Constitution only protects rights, how can it protect what it does not grant?

Since I am not religious, nor do I believe that rights are unalienable (refer to my example of the Decl of Independence where if a life can be taken away, it therefore is not unalienable) I believe in a sense that rights cannot come from anything other than mankind, in the form of an individual, state, or government acting as an authoritative body. Kind of along the lines of Legal Realism and Positivism. Additionally, there is no mention of God or higher divine power in our Constitution. Therefore I think rights come from an authoritative body. In the case of our Constitution/BoR my interpretation is that they do grant rights and thereby protect them as well. Additionally, I recognize that its not an exhaustive list and our founding fathers differed to the States and Individuals for things not covered and left a clause in our Constitution to provide for amendments if needed.

This is just my interpretation. I'm not saying its absolute and/or 100% correct.

I'll concede that I could be wrong.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
so would you believe that the constitution grants you the right to freedom of expression or does it protect that right? do you believe that many of the rights outlined in the constitution are natural born?
The Constiution grants rights. Without it, it would be the strong getting what they want while the weak enduring what they must. The Constitution ensures every man is born equal with equal rights. Without it man would dominate man thus ensuring no one has freedom--the natural state of war. Did no one learn Hobbes in school?

Last edited by badfast; 08-11-2013 at 06:16 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Ergo, it is the inalienable right of Congress to lay and collect taxes from income.
Stick to fake engineering, because you're a horrible fake lawyer
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
More Modern Way of Living (lol)

Quote:
Stick to fake engineering, because you're a horrible fake lawyer
Whereas you are just a horrible fake lawyer.

Congress under the 16th amd has the right lo lay and collect taxes. Either the constitution grants congress that right or it was always there. Which is it.

You are the fool making absolute pronouncements.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 08-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Whereas you are just a horrible fake lawyer.

Congress under the 16th amd has the right lo lay and collect taxes. Either the constitution grants congress that right or it was always there. Which is it.

You are the fool making absolute pronouncements.

You are arguing two different things, I guess they didn't teach you that at engineering law school
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #32
MDydinanM

Quote:
You are arguing two different things, I guess they didn't teach you that at engineering law school
different but related in principle
Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
The Constiution grants rights. Without it, it would be the strong getting what they want while the weak enduring what they must. The Constitution ensures every man is born equal with equal rights.
so people aren't naturally born equal with equal rights?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
so people aren't naturally born equal with equal rights?
Here is the second part of my post that you left out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast
Without it man would dominate man thus ensuring no one has freedom--the natural state of war. Did no one learn Hobbes in school?
Read Hobbes and the natural state of man and figure out if man is born with equal rights. Man is equal in his power relative to others.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #35
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Here is the second part of my post that you left out:

Read Hobbes and the natural state of man and figure out if man is born with equal rights. Man is equal in his power relative to others.
I wasn't asking what a book said. I was asking what people believed. do you believe that people are naturally born with equal rights? I have no interest in reading the book. I am simply looking for an opinion.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 08-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
MDydinanM

Quote:
I wasn't asking what a book said. I was asking what people believed. do you believe that people are naturally born equal? I have no interest in reading the book. I am simply looking for an opinion.
I think it depends on what you mean equal. In terms of rights?

What I'm getting at is in one context, no I don't think people are born equal. Some people are smarter than others. Some are physically stronger. Some are better at doing A, B, C than the other person.

It is my opinion that one of the roles of the government is to levy rights and laws as to protect people from themselves (such as an unfair advantage).

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
Sentaruu

Quote:
I think it depends on what you mean equal. In terms of rights?

What I'm getting at is in one context, no I don't think people are born equal. Some people are smarter than others. Some are physically stronger. Some are better at doing A, B, C than the other person.

It is my opinion that one of the roles of the government is to levy rights and laws as to protect people from themselves (such as an unfair advantage).
yes, sorry, I meant equal rights. obviously people are naturally born with stronger skill sets than others.

I agree that a role of government is to keep it's people safe, but at what cost to it's citizen's rights? how much control is too much control?

Last edited by Sentaruu; 08-11-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
MDydinanM

Quote:
I wasn't asking what a book said. I was asking what people believed. do you believe that people are naturally born with equal rights? I have no interest in reading the book. I am simply looking for an opinion.
I think Badfast agrees with Hobbes and hence his opinion is in line with Hobbes' theories.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
MDydinanM

Quote:
I agree that a role of government is to keep it's people safe, but at what cost to it's citizen's rights? how much control is too much control?
Ah, and the million dollar question. What is the balance between too much and too little government? I don't have an answer for that, but what I can say is that our government can operate within the framework of our Constitution which is subject to amendment - if it ever is amended again.

As you know, people enter into a social contract with their government where, in order to get out of the "state of nature", some freedoms are lost in exchange for protection. How much freedom is given up is up for debate.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #40
Sentaruu

Quote:
Ah, and the million dollar question. What is the balance between too much and too little government? I don't have an answer for that, but what I can say is that our government can operate within the framework of our Constitution which is subject to amendment - if it ever is amended again.

As you know, people enter into a social contract with their government where, in order to get out of the "state of nature", some freedoms are lost in exchange for "protection". How much freedom is given up is up for debate.
definitely an arguable idea