E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
andrewgrohs

My Ride: 328i
Limp Mode: speed sensor failure? Some other part?

My 1999 328i (automatic, non-step) keeps throwing itself into Limp Mode when I corner hard.

Circumstances:
  • Hard cornering (when the chassis rolls a bit)
  • Frequently when turning left, less often when turning right.
  • Speed doesn't seem to be a factor
  • Limp Mode engages ~5 seconds after leaving the corner
  • Resets to normal if I turn the car off for ~10 seconds
  • I got it to Autozone once: P0735

I'll accidentally trigger it once every couple of weeks during the summer. Michigan roads are too bad during the Winter to corner hard enough to set it off

Apart from that, it drives fine, apart from the occasional chugging off-of-the-line (which I think is the VANOS). When you initially shift into drive or reverse you can feel a little jolt and hear a soft clunk, but this is my first BMW. Unsure if that is normal. The transmission fluid's less than a year old. Shifts are smooth, no problems shifting into reverse. I've never triggered Limp Mode from accelerating, braking, driving at a certain speed, or any other way apart from cornering.

The most promising fix I found online for the Limp Mode is a failing speed sensor on the transmission. Could that fit these symptoms?

Possible solutions. Please let me know if one sounds ridiculous so I can eliminate it as a possibility:
  • Transmission speed sensor
  • Speed sensors on the wheels?
  • Transmission pressure regulator
  • Firmware
  • Low fluid (the mechanic who changed the fluid previously thought this was unlikely)
  • Busted transmission, e.g. opportunity to convert to a manual
andrewgrohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
andrewgrohs

My Ride: 328i
Fixed. I finally bit the bullet gave it to a local indie transmission shop (All Automotive Transmission in Portage, Michigan, fantastic place).

They found that it was slightly low on fluid with a slow leak around the gasket, and simply recommended a good service. Meaning: drop the pan, full interior transmission clean, new filters, a new gasket, and six quarts of BMW ATF. From dropoff to pickup, they had it for 24hrs. $246 parts & labor
andrewgrohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Vertex

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgrohs View Post
Fixed. I finally bit the bullet gave it to a local indie transmission shop (All Automotive Transmission in Portage, Michigan, fantastic place).

They found that it was slightly low on fluid with a slow leak around the gasket, and simply recommended a good service. Meaning: drop the pan, full interior transmission clean, new filters, a new gasket, and six quarts of BMW ATF. From dropoff to pickup, they had it for 24hrs. $246 parts & labor
Not bad for a transmission service. These run about 400$ or so in SoCal with a couple indie shops I have inquired with. Glad you got the problem fixed
Vertex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, 328i, limp mode, speed sensor, transmission