E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Just keep the DPMS until you come across something better. Sell the DPMS after you get the replacement (and verify it works). Your LGS doesn't really have much better options.
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #42
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Just keep the DPMS until you come across something better. Sell the DPMS after you get the replacement (and verify it works). Your LGS doesn't really have much better options.
What would you say about the s&w m&p 15?

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #43
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Geeez...I step out of gun talk for a few days/weeks and all goes to hell :p

First off, you bought from the wrong guys in Jax man...should have gone straight to gun gallery. And if I had been paying attention, I would have steered you that way from the beginning. How much did you pay for the DPMS?

Reedo is the expert on the intricacies of the uppers, but I can definitely tell you the staking job on the carrier is abysmal. It's not even staked really. Feed ramps don't look awful, but they are a little rough.

If you can only buy from that store now, that makes it tough. Do they carry spikes, rock river, stag, or S&W? Any of those would be a better option and probably in the same wheelhouse price-wise

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Geeez...I step out of gun talk for a few days/weeks and all goes to hell :p

First off, you bought from the wrong guys in Jax man...should have gone straight to gun gallery. And if I had been paying attention, I would have steered you that way from the beginning. How much did you pay for the DPMS?

Reedo is the expert on the intricacies of the uppers, but I can definitely tell you the staking job on the carrier is abysmal. It's not even staked really. Feed ramps don't look awful, but they are a little rough.

If you can only buy from that store now, that makes it tough. Do they carry spikes, rock river, stag, or S&W? Any of those would be a better option and probably in the same wheelhouse price-wise
Just got in a s&w m&p 15 he said he'd swap uppers for. Said it had magpul hand guard.

I went to shooters and told the guy to fvck himself when he marked up a spikes upper by $200 and I even showed him the website price.

And I think they said they could refund me for the upper. Everyone around town is overpriced.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #45
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Just got in a s&w m&p 15 he said he'd swap uppers for. Said it had magpul hand guard.

I went to shooters and told the guy to fvck himself when he marked up a spikes upper by $200 and I even showed him the website price.

And I think they said they could refund me for the upper. Everyone around town is overpriced.
Yeah, that sounds like shooters. They're dicks...complete dicks.

The guy said he'd swap the DPMS for the S&W? Do it...and don't look back. Vastly superior upper and I don't care which one it is that they make, even if its the "sport," which it shouldn't be if it has magpul furniture.

Try gun gallery if you don't want the smith. Their prices continue to fall and they're great guys. They almost certainly work with you on pricing.

Last edited by david05111; 08-22-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #46
Redline

They also had a colt for a little more but it's not a flat top, flat tops are way more...

St. Nicholas guns is pretty much name your price with a lot of stuff that they bought during all that hype months ago. Now their trying to save their ass and get whatever they can back for some things.

That's where I got all my lower parts from.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #47
david05111

Quote:
They also had a colt for a little more but it's not a flat top, flat tops are way more...

St. Nicholas guns is pretty much name your price with a lot of stuff that they bought during all that hype months ago. Now their trying to save their ass and get whatever they can back for some things.

That's where I got all my lower parts from.
The carry handle wasn't detachable on the colt? That's strange...sounds like an older model. Go for the Smith...it's. a great upper and you can probably score it pretty cheap with the trade, unless he takes it straight up (which would be the deal of the century).

Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #48
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Good Ole shooters...

Gun Gallery is the only place I would ever buy from locally. That reminds me I have three lowers I have to pick up from them

Where do you shoot redline?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #49
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Good Ole shooters...

Gun Gallery is the only place I would ever buy from locally. That reminds me I have three lowers I have to pick up from them

Where do you shoot redline?
Gateway rifle and pistol club. Im there every weekend. How about you?

Didn't know there were still people on here from jax... Should go to the range sometime.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-22-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #50
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
S&W M&P15 is good quality. Much much better than the angry panther.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #51
Redline

Off topic a bit. But at the range i shot someones suppressed noveske 6.5 SBR. After 3 shots it went full auto on me emptied that mag in a second. Couldn't find out what caused it. Although I liked the suppressor, I'd get one but I don't really need it.

Broke in the barrel on my rifle today (time consuming PITA). Putting multiple rounds in the same hole at 50. Going to try 100-200yd next time. Will update with results.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-25-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #52
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
AR build

Quote:
Off topic a bit. But at the range i shot someones suppressed noveske 6.5 SBR. After 3 shots it went full auto on me emptied that mag in a second. Couldn't find out what caused it. Although I liked the suppressor, I'd get one but I don't really need it.

Broke in the barrel on my rifle today (time consuming PITA). Putting multiple rounds in the same hole at 50. Going to try 100-200yd next time. Will update with results.
Sounds like a slam fire. Never heard of an AR slam fire though. My yugo sks sl fired a whole 10 rounds when I racked the bolt I'm full auto. This is in NY so the range went silent. Changed firing pin and it never happend again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Sounds like a slam fire. Never heard of an AR slam fire though. My yugo sks sl fired a whole 10 rounds when I racked the bolt I'm full auto. This is in NY so the range went silent. Changed firing pin and it never happend again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Seemed like a slam fire but after tear down everything seemed normal. Gun continued to function normally.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-25-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #54
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:

If that happens, pack that rifle up and leave immediately. Going F/A in any way, shape or form is a bad thing. Exception being you've got that Class III.

Congrats on swapping out for the S&W. Much better than the DPMS. Although, you said you mentioned you saw a flat-top Colt. That would have been the way to go, even with the increase in price.
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #55
david05111

I had my SBR 12.5 colt run away on me suppressed one day, but it was really a 3 round burst. No idea what happened, but I have a really light trigger in that lower so it could have just been my fault bumping it really fast without noticing it.

If the Noveske you fired did do a full mag dump though, that's weird. Noveske makes quality kit...that doesn't sound right.

In any case, congrats on getting the upper...it should be a great pickup

Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #56
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:

Was it a factory Noveske SBR? I had a burst fire on one of my ARs, and it turned out to be an issue with the hammer dropping on reset.

I didn't see an update, what upper did you end up getting? FYI - you don't need to break in a barrel on an AR.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #57
Redline

^i kept the dpms, the feed ramps on the S&W they had there weren't as good (didn't go as low and smooth as the dpms surprisingly) and the gas key also wasn't staked properly, and their price changed from $500 over the phone to $700 when I got there...they gave me a couple boxes of 5.56 free. I'm just going to get a BCG from spikes. For now it works. Ate up any ammo I threw at it without a hiccup. Steel cased Tula cycled perfectly, although I won't be shooting it all the time. Mostly federal.

The gun is light as a feather with the pencil barrel. To break it in I cleaned after every shot for the first 25, then after 10 for the next 100 as dpms recommended. Very accurate. I'm pleased with its accuracy for a "budget" upper.

I'm just going to shoot it and build my own upper when parts become available.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #58
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Gateway rifle and pistol club. Im there every weekend. How about you?

Didn't know there were still people on here from jax... Should go to the range sometime.
I shoot at Ancient City Tactical in St Augustine. Membership expired a few months ago, so I haven't shot since then. I don't want to re-up my membership for the fact of me going on deployment at the end of the year, then heading to Bahrain for a year afterwards. I would love going out to the range with ya.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 08-26-2013 at 01:36 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #59
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Well, bravo to you for putting multiple rounds through the same hole at 50y with the always accurate combination of Tula/federal, DPMS, and Sightmark. You shouldn't spend anymore time looking for a new upper, you should head out to instruct at Lejeune!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #60
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Well, bravo to you for putting multiple rounds through the same hole at 50y with the always accurate combination of Tula/federal, DPMS, and Sightmark. You shouldn't spend anymore time looking for a new upper, you should head out to instruct at Lejeune!

Like I said let's see how it does long range with good ammo. It's just a cheap upper until I build one.

///M