E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
clawhammer

My Ride: bmw 3 e46
BM54 radio module issue : it cuts !

hi,
I have an 03 e46, with 16/9 sat nav, and I have some issue with the radio module.
Sometimes the sound cuts (on all speakers), the orange light on the unit is still on for 20 sec, and then turns off. It happens more and more.
When I play with the radio module cable in the trunk, sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. It starts to make me crazy ...

When I plug an obd diagnostic head, it tells me :
Radio "No Communication possible"
Supply, K bus, stereo B6512_00011

1) I think that the BM54 module is still dead ... is there a way to repair it ?
(I don't know is it's the amplifier, or the power supply, or maybe a cable issue ..)

2) Is there a way to replace the whole system with an aftermarket one (like Alpine, Kenwood, etc ...) without dismantle all the car ? (cables are different between nav and non nav car).

Thank you very much !

Last edited by clawhammer; 06-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Blown amp in the BM54. Very common, not repairable.

Options:
Replace the BM54
Fit RCA preouts to the BM54
Fit an addition amp inside the BM54 and disable and disconnect the blown one.

Dynavin DVN-E46 with 5m FAKRA extension is possible. You will need to dismantle the car to run the cable.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
clawhammer

thanks for your answer, I'm currently reading all the forum to search a solution.
I heard about the amp issue, but heard that the sound disapear on one or two speakers, not all at the same time. So I wonder if this is really the amplifier ...

1) Are you sure this is the amplifier, because :
"Sometimes the sound cuts (on all speakers), the orange light on the unit is still on for 20 sec, and then turns off."
"
When I plug an obd diagnostic head, it tells me :
Radio "No Communication possible"
Supply, K bus, stereo B6512_00011"

2) If I fit RCA preout, I will lost the volume control on the 16/9 unit, no ? Or the idea is to bypass only the "BM54 amplifier" and keep all the controls ?
(I have the build-in bmw Bluetooth module, so if it's possible to fix the BM54 and not replace everything, I do prefer ...)
Thanks

3) Is it possible to interface this sort of amplifier to the BM54 pre-out connectors (mod) and KEEP the head unit volume control ?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=610

Last edited by clawhammer; 06-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
Arty

2) and 3) The pre outs have bass, treble, fade, balance and volume controls working. So long as you take the feed and disconnect the old amps at the correct place you will also keep Bluetooth audio.

1) Are you sure the car is on? Do other modules respond?

Is your car fitted with HK or Lear amplifier near the navigation drive? This amp is fed by BM54 speaker level audio. The crossovers are in the amp.

Last edited by Arty; 06-20-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
clawhammer

1) Yes, the others modules responds to the diag (bmw DIS v52 with cheap china RL232 USB-COM cable). I tried many times the diag before this issue, and did not have any error on the radio module until now.

3) So, if install an amplifier bypass (pre-amp mod), like this one, http://www.dg-onlinehandel.de/index....DEU&product=77
I keep the volume command on the unit you're sure ?

2) This morning I disconnected the Intravee, just to see.
I took the car, I noticed a little difference.
I succeeded to put the radio on (orange light stays on), but there was no sound at all on speakers.
What I try to understand is :
IF it is an issue with the amplifier ONLY of the BM54, is it normal that sometimes (almost everytime), the orange 16/9 light turns OFF, no speakers sound, and the radio module doesn't respond anymore to any command ??

Thanks !

Last edited by clawhammer; 06-20-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Arty

1) OK

2) Yes, sure

3) If the amplifier in BM54 has failed then it could draw a lot of power.

Known failure of the BM54 amplifier:
1) Dead channels
2) Intermittent audio
And you have this problem.

However you also have an iBus issue, which is a new problem. Not many people connect to the BM54 for testing.

Have you checked the connector and replaced the micro blade fuse in the BM54? This is a cheap fix to try first.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
clawhammer

2) Admit I make an RCA pre-out mod on the BM54 (to put a better amplifier), if I change my mind, is it possible to reverse the situation ?
Or the pre-out mod is a definitive modification ?
http://www.dg-onlinehandel.de/index....DEU&product=77

3) Intermittent audio, yes, in general that's what I heard from other people, but I never saw somebody whose radio module doesn't respond to ON/OFF button for example.
This morning, there was different behaviour during my 1 hour trip to work :
- like before, no command, no sound;
- sometimes, I had command of the module (ex: change station), but no sound;
- sometimes (rarely) it works well;

The fuse, good idea, I'm going to order a new one.
This evening, I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes. Nothing changed after that.
Then, I disconnected the battery for 40 min, disconnected the BM54, scratched the flat pins of the BM54 with the point of a screwdriver (the connectors seems ok), "pushed" the components inside with my thumb, then reassemble the whole. And then ... the radio works at least for 5 minutes (I'm going to test more tomorrow).

Do you know if the BM54 has a power supply module ? Indeed, I wonder, if my module doesn't respond to command, and doesn't respond to the car command, maybe this is the power supply of the module that is dying ? (I don't know if "the amplifier of the BM54" = "the BM54 power module", don't know much about electronics).

Thanks !

Last edited by clawhammer; 06-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
Arty

2) It is complicated. You can connect the RCA and leve the BM54 amp IC connected. You loose some signal (3dB-6dB) because of impedance mismatch. OR you can do the full job, and disconnect the BM54 amp.

3) I think that is true that the power issue is new. Perhaps fix 1 problem at a time.

4) Fuse and connector: Is there any sign of water damage? Are the connectors corroded? If you dismantle the BM54 is there any sign of damage from water or leaking capacitors?

Yes the BM54 hasw power supplies inside. The amp IC runs from 12V. The electronics all have power supplies and regulators.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
clawhammer

2) ok, first I will try to solve the issue without doing any mod.

4) I did not checked if there was some leaks on the BM54 capacitors. I'm going to check it, but I think you may be right about corrosion. I noticed the exterior pins connectors where a little "black", that's why I scratched them with a screwdriver.
This morning I took the car for 50 minutes and the radio was ok during the trip (Intravee physically disconnected).
So the first thing to do you're right is buying a connector cleaner. Can't try that before mid-july , but that's a very serious track I think, which can explain why the module sometimes do not respond anymore.
Going to tell you if it works (and of course if it doesn't )
Keep in touch, and a BIG THANKS !!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
clawhammer

oh sh**, I dismantle the whole back system, and put some contact cleaner, and nothing new under the sun.
It still cuts.
I also changed the mini fuse on the radio module.
Sh**, I wonder if it's dead. Do you know if somebody who know about electronic can repair the bm54 (and without the car of course ...) ?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
Arty

Thee are some comapnies on eBay offering repair, it is not cheap, about 200E but they replace the amplifier inside with a new and more powerful one.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
XKaLiBaR

My Ride: M3 Imola Red/Red
I do repairs on bm54 units. I also put in a better amp, than the existing one, whilst the repair is being done. The sound is improved dramastically, even better if you change the oem speakers.

Im cheaper than the ebay ones, as they will tell you this and thats wrong with it, and charge extra. I will give it to you straight. Give me a shout on xkalibar@gmail.com
XKaLiBaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
mihaela

My Ride: e39
Dear clawhammer,

I know this is an old post, but I ran into very similar symptoms and your input could be very helpful. Did you manage to find out what the problem was or did you find an alternative for bringing the sound back to your car ?
mihaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #14
cigas4

My Ride: E39
Repair

Hello guys,

Here are detailed instruction for repairing your Becker BM54 audio module (loosing sound problem), hope it will be useful:

_nr_
cigas4 is offline   Reply With Quote