E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
afarr

My Ride: 330xi.
Aux input on the back of the factory Nav unit?

My Daughter's 2000 323i has the factory Nav unit (not HK). She mostly plays her Iphone through a 'fake tape'.

I looked at a replacement stereo (and some threads on here)...but I'm not spending several hundred on a stereo (the car was $1200ish before parts...not including my labor getting it on the road).

I did see a mention of an Aux input?

Something I could run a cord out to access easily under the dash somewhere?

Any other options?

Thanks!
afarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
czarmar

My Ride: '99 323i
The older e46 nav doesn't have an aux capability on the head unit. The actual radio is in the trunk of the car, and for the older cars, you'll have to use the CD changer connections with an aftermarket integration kit, but those connections are in the trunk and you'd have to run wires through the car or go with a bluetooth solution. You could continue with the tape adapter - some people have also taken apart their tape deck to solder on a hardwired input, then put a dummy tape into the tape slot to get sounds into the radio.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
matt@bavsound

My Ride: 2005 330i
Thanks for posting this question! iPod/iPhone adapters are still readily available for the E46, and the best ones are made by Dension. They're the most reliable and not overly complex units out there. Best thing is they connect to the harness behind the radio!

Check them out: http://www.dension.com/automotive

You can probably find them from other retailers online as well. I'd recommend the Gateway Lite for the most basic and durable setup: charging, audio and track up/down from the radio/steering wheel controls. No bells or whistles.

Let us know what you decide to do!