E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
pnirenstein

My Ride: BMW M5
Coupe vs Sedan handling

I've had a lot of time behind the wheel of the 330i sedan. Both the e90 and e46. Couldn't seem to grasp the fact that many people said the coupe variant didn't handle any better. Why BMW would do that...I don't know. Anyways I spent a few hours driving the 330ci around and the conclusion is: they handle the same.

Filmed a short video outlining my thoughts on the coupe

Cheers.
pnirenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
Why should a coupe handle better?

BTW, none of this matters for 95% of E46s at this point because almost ALL are riding around on a blown suspension. Both test vehicles should be fully refreshed to make a valid comparison as age/wear/tear will vary car to car, driver to driver.

Sedans without folding seats are supposed to be more rigid than coupes. Do coupes even come w/o folding seats? I don't know?

Video looks nice, I'll try to watch it

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Knight

My Ride: German
That is one sharp looking TiAg coupe.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Coupes only come with sport suspension, sedans have sport suspension as an option. So technically the coupe should handle better than a non-sport sedan. Didn't watch your video, nice try though.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
That is one sharp looking TiAg coupe.
That it is!

Mango I guess in my mind, two door cars should be sportier than 4 doors.

The Deaner, good point. I've actually yet to drive a non sport suspension bmw.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Nice video, and good commentary.
You covered the advantages and disadvantages pretty well. No need to go in details.
I really liked how "the sports seats do not hug you on the corners" part. Its true. I am not exactly skinny but at short 5'9" and 160 lbs I am at right weight for my height. I would like the sports seats to keep me in one place while taking turns. Specially my fiancÚ who is of course skinnier than me and she grabs the "OH ****" bars a lot when taking turns.

Not sure if the wheel base are same on coupes and sedans, I know coupes are longer in length. But if the wheel base on coupes are longer it should feel much planted, if shorter, it should feel much much nimble.
Driving position due the the front legroom and seat setup is different on coupes. Of course you can replicate it to be exactly like its setup on a sedan but then it wont feel much like coupe, will it?

I like my small engined coupe. I looked into many sedans, i and xi versions after purchasing my coupe. But I just cant make myself buy a sedan. If I were to buy a sedan it should be an AWD, so either a a6 or e90 will be my choices. But, I havent started a family yet. For 2 people an e46 coupe is more than enough.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
You covered the advantages and disadvantages pretty well. No need to go in details.
I really liked how "the sports seats do not hug you on the corners" part. Its true. I am not exactly skinny but at short 5'9" and 160 lbs I am at right weight for my height. I would like the sports seats to keep me in one place while taking turns. Specially my fiancÚ who is of course skinnier than me and she grabs the "OH ****" bars a lot when taking turns.

Not sure if the wheel base are same on coupes and sedans, I know coupes are longer in length. But if the wheel base on coupes are longer it should feel much planted, if shorter, it should feel much much nimble.
Driving position due the the front legroom and seat setup is different on coupes. Of course you can replicate it to be exactly like its setup on a sedan but then it wont feel much like coupe, will it?

I like my small engined coupe. I looked into many sedans, i and xi versions after purchasing my coupe. But I just cant make myself buy a sedan. If I were to buy a sedan it should be an AWD, so either a a6 or e90 will be my choices. But, I havent started a family yet. For 2 people an e46 coupe is more than enough.
Wheelbase is the same. Think about that for a second, TRJ. If the wheelbase was different, that would mean the coupe and sedan would have different driveshafts, exhausts, heatshields, brake lines, and whatever else.

The sedan should have a more rigid feel due to being more of a "boxed" structure. Even more so w/o fold down seats.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
jmb

My Ride: an old wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadner View Post
Coupes only come with sport suspension, sedans have sport suspension as an option. So technically the coupe should handle better than a non-sport sedan
and what would be the point of such a comparison if the two vehicles aren't configured the same?
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Dan F.

My Ride: 05 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Why should a coupe handle better?
Cause they look better!
Dan F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F. View Post
Cause they look better!
I've owned an E46 coupe before. They're nice but I wouldn't say they look better. Coupes in general (mainly non-M) just come off as poserish, IMO. They try to mimic sports cars (Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche) by having two doors but don't have the engine to back it up.

May as well have the added utility of two extra doors if you're going to drive a near-luxury premium sporty car.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
I don't think BMW coupes are trying to mimic anything, for the longest time just about the only cars BMW made had two doors. The four door 3 series grew out of a two door coupe.

I've always liked coupes better but after owning my first and only four door (my E46) it would be hard to lose the practicality. I've got other two door cars for the handling/sexiness.

Last edited by klax; 08-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Coupes and Sedans have the same wheelbase and stance.
although the body of the Coupe is lower and wider. the windshield has a better rake front and back aswell.

it is by all accounts from BMW who made these cars their Sportier version of the two. PERIOD.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post

Thanks Trj!

I guess the 4 door e46 being more practical is subjective. If you already have a 4 door, then having a coupe as an additional car makes perfect sense. All and all the e46 has to be one of the absolute best cars you can get for $5-15k.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadner View Post
Coupes only come with sport suspension, sedans have sport suspension as an option. So technically the coupe should handle better than a non-sport sedan. Didn't watch your video, nice try though.
negative, all 330 sedans have sport suspension standard after.......mmmmmmmm......03?

as for mine, it out handles any continental ,scary when wet , can't wait to get pilot sports and see how far i can go

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 08-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
negative, all 330 sedans have sport suspension standard after.......mmmmmmmm......03?

as for mine, it out handles any continental ,scary when wet , can't wait to get pilot sports and see how far i can go
I run pilot super sports on my M5. Grips like like crazy. Highly recommend them.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Dan F.

My Ride: 05 330Ci
I just sold my e46 sedan to get a coupe. In my opinion they look better. Besides that coupes are easier to get in and out of because of there not being a door pillar blocking access to the backrest. I consider my e46's, sedan & coupe to be a TWO seater car. With the front seats back enough for the average person to be comfortable, there is no leg space in the back to fit a person. The back seat is just an extension of my trunk, which I access through the trunk lid. No need for four doors.

Poserish? C'mon man. That's just nonsense.
Dan F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Mango

I approve of this sedan.

I believe this is the one i saw a few years ago.. if so, this swap was done extremely proper.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
I run pilot super sports on my M5. Grips like like crazy. Highly recommend them.
yep, $350 for meyle ca , alignment, then $1000 for ss, looking forward to next summer,hehe

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I approve of this sedan.

I believe this is the one i saw a few years ago.. if so, this swap was done extremely proper.
Haha is this photoshopped? I put an m3 bumper on my e90 330i, but this is crazy!