E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Back on topics of coupe vs sedans... I just never felt quite right about coupes vs sedan counterparts.

I just think sedans have traditionally have that sculpted german business-like business look versus cutesy look at me I'm pretty sporty kinda vibe non-sports car coupes traditionally have. M3 can get away with this cause it has the flared fenders and horsepower/handling that puts it in sports car territory. but for non-Ms? Doesn't seem right to me. Not saying coupe E46s are bad cars. They are very nice. But I prefer sedans overall for the above reason.

Anyone know if coupes ever came w/o folding rear seats? or do all have folding seats?

I've owned both so not biased here.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Haha is this photoshopped? I put an m3 bumper on my e90 330i, but this is crazy!
Nope. thread is on M3forum somewhere. Absolute COMPLETE M3 swap including body work.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
While BMW got the E46 sedan "just right" as far as four doors go, all coupes (IMO) will always look better over any sedan.

Back on topic, all things being equal, suspension, equipment, etc., the coupe might handle better with slightly lower center of gravity, better aero. Sedan more rigid.. possibly.

The only way to know for certain is get the Stig to do a back-to-back. Otherwise were all just really squabbling over a few tenths of a second.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
But I prefer sedans overall for the above reason.
Anyone know if coupes ever came w/o folding rear seats? or do all have folding seats?
c'mon really, like it's not obvious that the above photos you selected were extremely bias towards making the 2 door look bad and the 4 door better. way to obvious, you think no one else caught that

and like has been said, the 3 series has always been a two door and sometimes a door version in it's decades. only until recently will it be only a 4 door because the coupes will be moved up to the next upgraded series the 4 series.

no the coupes didn't come w/out 60/40 split folding rear bench. unless you want to include the convertibles.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Do coupes even come w/o folding seats? I don't know?
My 330 coupe came with folding rear seats. I've been told that it is rare to have them on coupes. Knowing that I have it makes me comfortable enough that I have the space to carry long items when going to Ikea or Home Depot. I'm not married yet so the practicality of having the extra two doors isn't necessary. I really love the look of the coupe over the sedan. The sedan to me looks like a four dour civic. If I'm going to have four door bmw, I would prefer the 5 series or newer 3 series. 4 door e46 isn't that appealing to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
girls in skirts getting in the back seat of the coupe will always win over the sedan
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
HLG600

My Ride: German
Both are nice, but I found the E46 sedan a bit too pedestrian. I see them everywhere. I've gone from a roadster to a sedan to now a coupe. My objective takeaway is that I'll have one of each please.

As for the coupes being poserish, I find that silly, especially when considering BMW's long history of coupes. No E46 left the factory looking poserish. What some people choose to do to theirs on the other hand...
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #28
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Both are nice, but I found the E46 sedan a bit too pedestrian. I see them everywhere. I've gone from a roadster to a sedan to now a coupe. My objective takeaway is that I'll have one of each please.

As for the coupes being poserish, I find that silly, especially when considering BMW's long history of coupes. No E46 left the factory looking poserish. What some people choose to do to theirs on the other hand...
I like the sleeker roofline. That's my biggest selling point on 2-doors. Never been a fan of sedans or convertibles, though the F30 I really like.

When I am looking at future cars, I find myself searching for the 2-door coupe version. Even Porsches, which are more often found as convertibles.

Last edited by Zell; 08-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
It's pretty much the same for all car models by all makes. As time marches on, the sedan styles tend to lose their edge quicker than the coupes.

If I owned an E46 sedan I'd be selling it by now. My coupe? Maybe in a year or two.

For driving around town they probably handle about the same.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
HLG600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I like the sleeker roofline. That's my biggest selling point on 2-doors. Never been a fan of sedans or convertibles, though the F30 I really like.

I find myself when I am looking at future cars, I search for the 2-door coupe version. Even Porsches, which are more often found as convertibles.
I feel that roofline is critical to overall design. It's why I'm not a fan of the E92 convertible...the retractable hardtop ruined the sleekness.

The F30 sure is a beauty. Some cars have a very specific design. The Lexus IS that was posted earlier for instance; crisp as a sedan but awkward as a convertible. Others have a more elastic design, like the current C Class. I'd have a tough time deciding whether to go with a C63 coupe or sedan.

Last edited by HLG600; 08-13-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
When it comes down to it, sedans "handle" better, as they're stiffer than coupes. 'Nuff said... I think.

There's a thread somewhere with the actual torsional numbers.

Last edited by EmDeeAr; 08-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Not really fair to compare C55 and C230 sport coupe. The C55 was basically modified to a CLK front end on it to fit the V8, the regular W203s are shorter. More logical to compare a C55 body style and lines to a 209 CLK. But I agree nonetheless, I like the C55 variant anyway. Much better flow to the body lines than the CLK.

My take on the subject is buy and drive whatever you feel more comfortable in and you can afford. Most coupe owners will try and argue that it somehow looks better and is closer to an M, while sedan owners will argue for the functional view. I personally avoided coupes like the plague for 2 main reasons: 1) Because of the subframe issues with earlier models, 2) People seem to have this itch to modify/alter/beat on the coupes. Very hard to find an unmolested, clean and maintained coupe at a fair price.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #33
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Haha is this photoshopped? I put an m3 bumper on my e90 330i, but this is crazy!
Nope it's not photoshopped thats JeppeJ's car
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=578901
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
captkhaos

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Married with children? Sedan. Still trying to score? Coupe. Any questions?
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Unless its a sports car which the non M E46 is not then a coupe is worthless. Sedan has a more balanced feel in cornering while a coupe feels lurpy. Not to mention sloppy door sagging and the fact that every teenager and twenty something thinks that they drive a sports car if it has two doors and beats the hell out of them.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Coupes and Sedans have the same wheelbase and stance.
although the body of the Coupe is lower and wider. the windshield has a better rake front and back aswell.

it is by all accounts from BMW who made these cars their Sportier version of the two. PERIOD.
Worse rake. I can't see out of the coupes windshield as it stops too low in relation to the body lines. I went sedan->coupe->sedan. My new sedan doesn't have folding seats; it is the best handling of the three I've owned.

Techincally, the coupe is the weakest (barely) in torsional rigidity but I never noticed the difference between it and my folding seat sedan.

The sedans lines match a bit better overall. The rear body line leads into the tail light, in the coupe it does not. At the same time, the facelift coupes headlights and tail lights are killer. Overall they are different, to me it is a draw. I'd say the average facelift coupe looks better than the average facelift sedan though.

The sedan is more practical. Space may not be different in the rear, but I missed my rear doors with the coupe. Not enough for me to sell it though.

Visibility to the side is slightly better in the coupe, but the windshield height in the sedan makes up for it.

The coupe has more squeaks (door pulls, rear deck) than the sedan by a small margin.

Last edited by Grande D; 08-13-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Sedan because i'd like to retain some dignity as I climb out of the back seat as opposed to a coupe where I climb over the big seat in front of me and make myself the width of a slice of bread. Maybe 5'11'' is considered huge in Germany, but after more than 20 years of getting out of coupes it's sedan or bust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Re: Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater96 View Post
Sedan because i'd like to retain some dignity as I climb out of the back seat as opposed to a coupe where I climb over the big seat in front of me and make myself the width of a slice of bread. Maybe 5'11'' is considered huge in Germany, but after more than 20 years of getting out of coupes it's sedan or bust.
What on earth are you doing riding in the back?!
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #39
HLG600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Unless its a sports car which the non M E46 is not then a coupe is worthless...and the fact that every teenager and twenty something thinks that they drive a sports car if it has two doors and beats the hell out of them.
Well that's a rather dense and generalizing opinion.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #40
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
good video... but i gotta say, its the first video commentary that i've seen on a public road, and with you on camera blazing on public roads (saw a few motorcycles going in the opposite direction) at 1:30 made me shake my head. sorry to be a buzzkill, but i would never risk driving like that on what looked to be a tight windy road, let along try to commentate a an amateur video.

and for the record, the car has 18 inch rims, those are style 71's.. came on my car as well, nice upgrade option to sports package