E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #401
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
That viper looks like so much fun to drive...where is the part were it drives like garbage?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Have you driven one, Or are you making an assumption from watching that video? I have driven several vipers from the time they came out up until the newer models and they drive like garbage. They throw you around and you feel like you're going to lose the back end in every turn. That to me is garbage. I like to feel 100% in control when I'm behind the wheel, especially on a track at higher speeds. The viper is just another domestic piece if trash and proves once again that we as Americans have no idea how to build a high performance car.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #402
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
tar'em all with the same brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
we as Americans have no idea how to build a high performance car.
Corvette holds its own with world class cars even without factoring in the cost. Factor in the cost.

Oh, and GT-40 got the job done. Ancient history yes, but we could get the job done if we wanted.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #403
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Makes me glad I chose the Touring.
Read this thread and figure now you'll clean up at the track?

In for vids.

Last edited by Stinger9; 09-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #404
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
... I like to feel 100% in control when I'm behind the wheel, especially on a track at higher speeds. ...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

:p

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #405
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Corvette holds its own with world class cars even without factoring in the cost. Factor in the cost.

Oh, and GT-40 got the job done. Ancient history yes, but we could get the job done if we wanted.
+1 for the GT-40. Beautiful car
Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #406
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
If I want to clean up at the track, I do have my C-6 Z06 to fall back on. The Touring is a grocery getter. Always has been.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #407
mjpgolf1

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:

Corvette is fun I will admit to that, but they still have a cheap feel to them. Many rattles, broken interior parts, etc. For the money they are a great bang for the buck. GT 40 is a beast and I have to admit that they have one of the greatest exhaust notes out there. I haven't driven one so I can't comment on how it drives and the one time that I rode in one it was a brand new car so I wouldn't know how they hold up over time.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #408
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Re: Coupe vs Sedan handling

Sent from my SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378129135862.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	524670  
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #409
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
On August 11, 2013 a Viper won the GT class race at Road America.

It beat Corvettes, Porsche's and BMW's on the way to victory.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...219263771.html

Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #410
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Have you been avoiding car magazines for the last ten years?
That's the best you can come up with? Most of the guys that test drive the cars and write the articles are crap drivers. Have you ever driven one???? One of my EX boss's that I am still good friends with owns one. While they do take a little more effort to keep under control. I would not say they handle like garbage.

Last edited by zander271; 09-04-2013 at 01:10 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #411
zander271

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Have you driven one, Or are you making an assumption from watching that video? I have driven several vipers from the time they came out up until the newer models and they drive like garbage. They throw you around and you feel like you're going to lose the back end in every turn. That to me is garbage. I like to feel 100% in control when I'm behind the wheel, especially on a track at higher speeds. The viper is just another domestic piece if trash and proves once again that we as Americans have no idea how to build a high performance car.

Why yes I have. You can read above to see how I did. If you watched the video at all you can see the car was driven by someone who can really drive the car. To a person with your novice driving ability of course you are going to say if drives like garbage because its to much car for you.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #412
Stinger9

Quote:
That's the best you can come how with. Most I the guys that test drive the cars and write the articles are crap drivers. Have you ever driven one???? One of my EX boss's that I am still good friends with owns one. While they do take a little more effort to keep under control. I would not say they handle like garbage.
Oh, thanks for waking me up. Been waiting for your fabulous repartee for a while now.
Missed a few weeks of typing class did we? Add grammar check to your spell check software.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #413
zander271

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
On August 11, 2013 a Viper won the GT class race at Road America.

It beat Corvettes, Porsche's and BMW's on the way to victory.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...219263771.html

Not sure how that is possible. That car handles like garbage. What an American piece of trash.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #414
zander271

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Oh, thanks for waking me up. Been waiting for your fabulous repartee for a while now.
Missed a few weeks of typing class did we? Add grammar check to your spell check software.
I'll make sure to add one to my iPhone You get told and this is what you come back with?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1378274814.001759.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	524944

Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #415
mjpgolf1

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Why yes I have. You can read above to see how I did. If you watched the video at all you can see the car was driven by someone who can really drive the car. To a person with your novice driving ability of course you are going to say if drives like garbage because its to much car for you.

First off you obviously don't know what I drive and what my skill level is if you think that car is just too much for me. For example have you driven the Ferrari 599 GTB. There is a perfectly balanced car that is a dream to drive on the track. Power for days but still sticks to the road like glue. How about the Porsche GT3, another car that proves my point and i could list many others that ive been behind the wheel of for extensive periods of time but theres no need for that here. I'm not a rookie when it comes to driving fast cars and the viper is just not well thought out. Sure you can take it to a racing team and they can set the car up properly and make a great racer out of it, but the car as it comes from the factory is garbage and drives like garbage.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #416
Mr Podman

Quote:
Not sure how that is possible. That car handles like garbage. What an American piece of trash.
Pretty embarrassing loss for the Porsche and BMW boys I'd say. And on a real man's race course too.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #417
zander271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
Pretty embarrassing loss for the Porsche and BMW boys I'd say. And on a real man's race course too.
SVT Viper is a freaking beast of a car. I don't think its embarrassing at all to that Porsche and BMW. All it does is force both to create a better performing cars.

Quote:
First off you obviously don't know what I drive and what my skill level is if you think that car is just too much for me. For example have you driven the Ferrari 599 GTB. There is a perfectly balanced car that is a dream to drive on the track. Power for days but still sticks to the road like glue. How about the Porsche GT3, another car that proves my point and i could list many others that ive been behind the wheel of for extensive periods of time but theres no need for that here. I'm not a rookie when it comes to driving fast cars and the viper is just not well thought out. Sure you can take it to a racing team and they can set the car up properly and make a great racer out of it, but the car as it comes from the factory is garbage and drives like garbage.

Driven and tracked a car pushing to its full potential are two different things. From what it sounds like you tracked a Ferrari 599 GTB where do you do this and what was the cost? Same question goes out to the Porsche GT3? I can't comment on the Ferrari 599 GTB because I haven't driven one but I have driven a 458. The 458 and the GT3 are much tamer cars and will allow a novice driver to get away with a lot more then you can in a SVT Viper. These hyper and super cars that are sold have stability control and traction control for a reason. To keep the people that drive them alive. We live in a time were the cars now far out stretch the capability of most of the drivers on the road. So yes if you are a crap driver of course everyone that gets out of the car is going to say it drives like garbage.

Look had it been said that the Viper was a bit unruly to drive I would have def agreed a bit a given the nod. But to flat out say it drives like garbage is na´ve at best and to me just shows you either really haven't driven one or like my first assumption you are at best a decent driver.

Edit: 2002 360 is a beautiful car how long have you owned it?

Last edited by zander271; 09-04-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #418
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Exclamation Lock

page after page of nonsense and going Off Topic

Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #419
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
page after page of nonsense and going Off Topic

but the OP is trying to generate youtube ad revenue by keeping this thread alive and checking every so often for bumps so he can get paid and giggle all the way to the bank! come on let him make some money!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #420
Mr Podman

Quote:
SVT Viper is a freaking beast of a car. I don't think its embarrassing at all to that Porsche and BMW. All it does is force both to create a better performing cars.
You're kind to say that.

They're all coupes btw...

Last edited by Mr Podman; 09-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.