E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
pnirenstein

My Ride: BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Well that's a rather dense and generalizing opinion.
Agreed...the e46 coupe is far from worthless. What if you can't afford an m3? Or want to pay for the extra maintenance? Some people have plenty of cash but don't want the extra power and just want to blend in but still have a cool car.

What about all the grand touring two doors? Too much of a blanket statement.

Back to the original handling debate. I drove the two back to back. There is NO distinguishable difference. True, maybe the stig could feel a distinction but most people buying the e46 aren't professional race car drivers.
pnirenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #42
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
good video... but i gotta say, its the first video commentary that i've seen on a public road, and with you on camera blazing on public roads (saw a few motorcycles going in the opposite direction) at 1:30 made me shake my head. sorry to be a buzzkill, but i would never risk driving like that on what looked to be a tight windy road, let along try to commentate a an amateur video.

and for the record, the car has 18 inch rims, those are style 71's.. came on my car as well, nice upgrade option to sports package
Thanks for the feedback. The bikers were actually going very fast in the opposite direction which made it look like I was going quicker than I was. The road was also pretty wide. But you are right, I could have slowed down a bit.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #43
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
The best handling e46 chassis would be a non-sunroof 328i sedan with sport package and no fold-down seats. 330 is heavier (by some amount) otherwise I would have said 330 sedan.

Sedans are better than coupes because they have the added rigidity of the B-pillar. If you took a coupe and welded a mini roll cage in front of the doors/windows to act as a B-pillar, then it would be equal.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 08-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #44
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
The best handling e46 chassis would be a non-sunroof 328i sedan with sport package and no fold-down seats. 330 is heavier (by some amount) otherwise I would have said 330 sedan.

Sedans are better than coupes because they have the added rigidity of the B-pillar. If you took a coupe and welded a mini roll cage in front of the doors/windows to act as a B-pillar, then it would be equal.
By that margin a 323i would be the best handling... ZHP might be the best due to revised control arms and stickier factory tires in a similar configuration. At the point that it's a no sunroof, no fold down seat sedan we are splitting hairs.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #45
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Agreed...the e46 coupe is far from worthless. What if you can't afford an m3? Or want to pay for the extra maintenance? Some people have plenty of cash but don't want the extra power and just want to blend in but still have a cool car.

Back to the original handling debate. I drove the two back to back. There is NO distinguishable difference. True, maybe the stig could feel a distinction but most people buying the e46 aren't professional race car drivers.
If they just want to blend in then they should go buy a chevy malibu. A 2 door E46 is nothing more than an m3 without the performance and to me an M3 is worthless without the performance. Its like buying a 6 cyl mustang, most of those people that buy that car would love to have the GT but they couldn't so they bought the looks of it without the performance. Im sure there are the exceptions to this where a person is truly looking for better gas mileage or doesn't care about performance, but most of the people that buy that car do so to try to look like they have the real deal. Take the cars on this forum for example. As soon as most of these kids here buy a coupe they start throwing M parts on them to try and make it look like something its not. I'm actually not at all against coupes, if you look at my sig I own 2 of them now, but a coupe should have the guts to back up its looks and the E46 coupe does not. There isn't a person on here that drives a non m coupe that doesn't wish it was an M, which proves my point that the E46 non M is bought by most people to try to look like something they are not.

Don't take my comments the wrong way. We are simply having a discussion and these are just my opinions on what I feel and they are not necessarily right or wrong.

Concerning your study it is irrelevant because unless you drove two cars with completely refreshed suspension and they were set up identical then its not relevant. You can't take two cars with different service histories and who knows how many miles and what condition they are in, run them back to back and call it a study. It just doesn't work like that. Especially since there is much information out there that proves that the non M sedan is much more rigid therefore making it a more stable car in the corners than the coupe.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #46
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
What on earth are you doing riding in the back?!
2,000 mile trip across good old `murica with a few friends 3 days ago. Really like how my car feels as a passenger and as a driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #47
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:

IMO the coupe was the most beautiful car ever made until the Audi S5.

Also there are so many variables, tires, shocks, springs, bars, tire pressures, camber, transmission and engine tune, to name some, that an example of either could out perform the other. The sedan is stiffer but suspension tune can compensate for a lot.

As for only the M3 being of use, what if you just want a daily driver with enough refinement but some ability to handle spirited driving? It isn't all about fast.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
As for handling IMO most of you are splitting hairs. my family has owned several E46's, and in terms of handling they are all about the same. I have to disagree about the 328i though, in my experience the 330i feels more well rounded in terms of handling. IMO the coupe version feels better to me due to the increased power, and feels a little better in corners (none of them beats my XI though, lol), and I agree that BMW intended the coupe to be a sportier version of the 3 series. I'm not fully sure though, because I've only driven a 330ci in the coupes
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #49
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Coupes in general (mainly non-M) just come off as poserish, IMO. They try to mimic sports cars (Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche) by having two doors but don't have the engine to back it up.
LOLWUT?

And 4-doors are ugly on small cars like the 3-series. Plus the roof is taller, the trunk is taller, it's just ugly altogether. You can't make a family car out of something that has no real back seat. The poser is the guy that couldn't afford a 5 or a 7 and went with a 3 sedan.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #50
Knight

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
A 2 door E46 is nothing more than an m3 without the performance and to me an M3 is worthless without the performance. Its like buying a 6 cyl mustang, most of those people that buy that car would love to have the GT but they couldn't so they bought the looks of it without the performance. Im sure there are the exceptions to this where a person is truly looking for better gas mileage or doesn't care about performance, but most of the people that buy that car do so to try to look like they have the real deal. Take the cars on this forum for example. As soon as most of these kids here buy a coupe they start throwing M parts on them to try and make it look like something its not. I'm actually not at all against coupes, if you look at my sig I own 2 of them now, but a coupe should have the guts to back up its looks and the E46 coupe does not. There isn't a person on here that drives a non m coupe that doesn't wish it was an M, which proves my point that the E46 non M is bought by most people to try to look like something they are not.

Don't take my comments the wrong way. We are simply having a discussion and these are just my opinions on what I feel and they are not necessarily right or wrong.
You are entitled to your opinion; however, my critique of your initial post is that it grouped all coupe owners into this preconceived bucket which is inaccurate.

Two cents from a "twenty something" who didn't buy his to pose as an M3.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
pnirenstein

Quote:
If they just want to blend in then they should go buy a chevy malibu. A 2 door E46 is nothing more than an m3 without the performance and to me an M3 is worthless without the performance. Its like buying a 6 cyl mustang, most of those people that buy that car would love to have the GT but they couldn't so they bought the looks of it without the performance. Im sure there are the exceptions to this where a person is truly looking for better gas mileage or doesn't care about performance, but most of the people that buy that car do so to try to look like they have the real deal. Take the cars on this forum for example. As soon as most of these kids here buy a coupe they start throwing M parts on them to try and make it look like something its not. I'm actually not at all against coupes, if you look at my sig I own 2 of them now, but a coupe should have the guts to back up its looks and the E46 coupe does not. There isn't a person on here that drives a non m coupe that doesn't wish it was an M, which proves my point that the E46 non M is bought by most people to try to look like something they are not.

Concerning your study it is irrelevant because unless you drove two cars with completely refreshed suspension and they were set up identical then its not relevant. You can't take two cars with different service histories and who knows how many miles and what condition they are in, run them back to back and call it a study. It just doesn't work like that. Especially since there is much information out there that proves that the non M sedan is much more rigid therefore making it a more stable car in the corners than the coupe.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
My reply came off a lot meaner than I wanted it to. I apologize. But not everyone wants their 330 to be an M3. Sure maybe many on this forum. But think about the million owners that aren't on this forum. Where I live a Malibu stands out a lot more than a 3 series. BMW = Basic Marin Wheels. I've driven a 360 a few times, cool car you got there.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #52
Swater330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
LOLWUT?

And 4-doors are ugly on small cars like the 3-series. Plus the roof is taller, the trunk is taller, it's just ugly altogether. You can't make a family car out of something that has no real back seat. The poser is the guy that couldn't afford a 5 or a 7 and went with a 3 sedan.

Am I a poser because I didn't want the maintenance that came with a 5 or 7 and liked the practicality and speed/weight of a 3 sedan. In my opinion the coupes are ugly looking without the aggressive bodywork of the M3. I cringed when the man called that a beautiful car. But hey we all have our opinions
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Swater330i; 08-13-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #53
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater96 View Post

Am I a poser because I didn't want the maintenance that came with a 5 or 7 and liked the practicality and speed/weight of a 3 sedan. In my opinion the coupes are ugly looking without the aggressive bodywork of the M3. I cringed when the man called that a beautiful car. But hey we all have our opinions
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #54
Swater330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
I'm sorry that you don't have an m3
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #55
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post

The weight difference isn't at all noticeable compared to the extra power and brakes of a 330. I've only noticed the weight difference on a vert.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #56
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
There isn't a person on here that drives a non m coupe that doesn't wish it was an M, which proves my point that the E46 non M is bought by most people to try to look like something they are not.
Sure your opinion can be wrong. I'm the example that proves this. I bought my 330Ci new and could have written a check for a new 360 if I wanted too, so the M3 would have been well within my grasp. First I could care less what others think of what I drive. I buy cars because I love them. Had my first BMW when virtually everyone who saw it had no idea what it was. BMW was unknown and people thought me silly for spending the money on it rather than getting a better car. It looked too plain for them. Not enough chrome.
I got the non M here because I wanted a well rounded car. Perfectly balanced between appearance, lux, and performance. Elegant in its ability to do all things equally. An M doesn't fit that bill. Looks too Johnny racer, rides too rough, gets low gas mileage, isn't best at low revs, and parts costs are ridiculously stupid. And why waste money on sky high insurance.

Last edited by Stinger9; 08-13-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #57
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Sure your opinion can be wrong. I'm the example that proves this. I bought my 330Ci new and could have written a check for a new 360 if I wanted too, so the M3 would have been well within my grasp. First I could care less what others think of what I drive. I buy cars because I love them. Had my first BMW when virtually everyone who saw it had no idea what it was. BMW was unknown and people thought me silly for spending the money on it rather than getting a better car. It looked too plain for them. Not enough chrome.
I got the non M here because I wanted a well rounded car. Perfectly balanced between appearance, lux, and performance. Elegance in its ability to do all things equally. An M doesn't fit that bill. Looks too Johnny racer, rides too rough, gets low gas mileage, isn't best at low revs, and parts costs are ridiculously stupid. And why waste money on sky high insurance.
Thank you for this post Stinger9.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #58
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Personal preference, gentleman. Personal preference.

I'm with Mango, sedans just have that German appeal to them.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #59
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
My reply came off a lot meaner than I wanted it to. I apologize.
No need for apologies for infractions as insignificant as yours. Got to develop somewhat of a thick skin here to blend in. It's just the way we have fun.

You're an interesting addition to the mix here. Hope you find it interesting enough to hang around for a while and contribute.

Last edited by Stinger9; 08-13-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #60
pnirenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
No need for apologies for infractions as insignificant as yours. Got to develop somewhat of a thick skin here to blend in. It's just the way we have fun.

You're an interesting addition to the mix here. Hope you find it interesting enough to hang around for a while and contribute.
Thanks. I'll definitely be sticking around. The M3 has always been on my radar. Love my E39 M5 but it just isn't the same around corners.